Just been thinking about oil levels.....

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2002 1150 GS 116,000 miles .

Like most people seem to recommend on here, I've always had a good run, up to temp. Leave on the side stand whilst I make a brew, then centre stand whilst I drink the brew then check the level.

But I was thinking, 9 times out of 10, my bike is left on the side stand after a ride (due to space limitations) so surely the oil will drain out of the oil cooler etc anyways ? So if I then check it on the centre stand when cold, isn't that now how it's described in the owners manual ?

So why do people here recommend always check when hot etc etc ?
This isn't a criticism of any sort, rather a genuine question ..
All the best everyone ..

I think it's all relative - I always prefer to check the oil before every first ride of the day and before starting - if you do it by the manual once (ie hot etc on centre stand) then when home see what it is when cold on the side stand then as long as it is relatively the same level when cold each time you're good to go - if that makes sense??

But I was thinking, 9 times out of 10, my bike is left on the side stand after a ride

Perfect! Stick it on centre stand give a moment for the glass to clear and check it before you head out

Try to resist topping up every time If it's anywhere above a 1/3rd of the sightglass leave it be

They tend to find their own level and not burn off much more, when it gets down to it

But if you top up all the time, you think you have high oil usage.

When in fact you are just really feeding it oil to burn

I didn't believe the bloke who said it so I experimented and right enough my 1200 would get to about a 1/3rd on the sightglass and stop using oil

I think it's all relative - I always prefer to check the oil before every first ride of the day and before starting - if you do it by the manual once (ie hot etc on centre stand) then when home see what it is when cold on the side stand then as long as it is relatively the same level when cold each time you're good to go - if that makes sense??

None whatsoever :D

If you put it on side stand, then on centre stand.... and cant see any oil, its time to top up :D

I've had a few oilheads and usually checked it cold... TBH the best advice is not to keep topping it to the top level... Centre spot and the odd check... If you see lots of blue smoke or puddles on the floor, check more regularly...😂 Hard bike to break...👍

None whatsoever :D

:D What I mean is say when doing it the right way (hot oil/C-stand) the oil sits at say 9/10 if the glass was graduated.

Then let it cool, pop it on side stand and say it sits as 7/10.

Then when checking oil before you go out (which maybe makes more sense when you do the usual pre-ride check) then as long as it sits at around 7/10 then you're spot on?

N'est pas? ;)

:D What I mean is say when doing it the right way (hot oil/C-stand) the oil sits at say 9/10 if the glass was graduated.

Then let it cool, pop it on side stand and say it sits as 7/10.

Then when checking oil before you go out (which maybe makes more sense when you do the usual pre-ride check) then as long as it sits at around 7/10 then you're spot on?

N'est pas? ;)
Oui !! Merci !

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Don’t think too hard about oil levels.... I look once a week in the morning after the bike has stood all night. If I can see oil anywhere in the sight glass it’s good to go. Worked for me on all my 1100/1150 bikes for 20 years. Just be consistent when you check the oil, don’t check it hot one day and then cold the next.

On my old R100RS, if you filled it more than half way up dipstick, it burnt off the excess, then stayed solid at that level. Like a previous poster, adding any more oil than just under a third in the sight glass on my R1150RT it burns off, then stays solid at that level. Strangely i never see blue smoke when it has been overfilled ( and none in the airbox either ? )

A lot depends of course on which tyres you use.......................

I think DrFarkoff and Steptoe have summed it up

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I was more wondering why so many people recommended the hot method as opposed to the owners manual cold one .....
Happy with mine nowadays

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom