LED Headlamp adjuster

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok. Below is some info about this adjuster mechanism. It's in this section because it is dedicated to only the Hex Head.

As mentioned, it is the result of lots of back and forth with AndyL from here - he lent his whole headlamp unit which was crucial, but he has also been super patient with the versions, giving me invaluable feedback each time. Mistacat has also been great with feedback early on. So what you have is a team effort 👍🏻.

Designing it to be stuck on has had a big impact on the design. As has my wish to make it modular. Having this third mounting point engaged should also stabilise the whole headlamp and significantly reduce and vibration. It is a near perfect fit onto the headlamp spar.

Highlights and details.

• No drilling or screws needed
  • 3D printed in ABS, PETG and uses stainless screws (A2).
  • Mounted using genuine 3M 5952 VHB (see illustrations - magenta colour)
  • Modular, so it can be adjusted/updated/ repaired (in the unlikely event it needs it) - see exploded view
  • Offers the full range of adjustment allowed by the slot in the headlamp spar.
  • I have removed the rubber grommet and replaced it with a 3D printed spring/collar - this is a space saving solution - it locates onto the spigot on your subframe the same as the grommet would.
  • It will additionally come with two spacer washers for the primary headlamp mounting bolts (either side of the whole headlamp) - feedback is that this will help make the headlamp snug, which it isn't right now.

* because this unit is stuck on I must stress for good surface preparation (alcohol wipes/surgical spirit/high flashpoint solvent - avoid methylated spirits as that leaves a residue). Then after sticking, try to leave for 24hrs, ideally 48hrs - 3M claims full bond in 48hrs.

I had originally thought to give these away. But with the time, materials, assembly, postage, it all sort of adds up to way more than I expected :blast
Would people be ok with £28.99 posted within the UK on a signed for service (£5-6 of this is for the postage)?

Feedback welcome 😊

Lastly, some other items in my pipeline. Anyone interested in these?

• Adjuster mech for the 'Radical' version of the LED headlamp.= currently in CAD stage
  • Garmin XT super slim locking device - 7mm thick, fits directly behind the OEM mount - prototypes done, currently making adjustments.
  • Shoei Neotec 1 & 2 helmet camera mounts for drift and GoPro (yes, it solves the issue of clearing the flip-up yet still projecting forward enough to clear the the camera's view) - Non adjustable versions available immediately.

Attachments

• 20210503_181034.jpg
    20210503_181034.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_8164.jpg
    IMG_8164.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 885
  • LED Headlamp adjuster 4.5.0 - mkiii version 5.jpg
    LED Headlamp adjuster 4.5.0 - mkiii version 5.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_8167.jpg
    IMG_8167.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 888
  • LED Headlamp adjuster 4.5.0 - mkiii version 8.jpg
    LED Headlamp adjuster 4.5.0 - mkiii version 8.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 920
Great looking item, 100% better looking than my home made effort.
The price is good, I'd suggest you even round it up to £30 for all the time and effort put into designing and developing it.
Let me know ordering details as I definitely want one. (
Then I just need to come up with a 48hr window the bikes not getting used, or refit the original for a couple of days?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Is this for the K25?
For the new aftermarket LED headlamps?

Looks amazing. Sign me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put me down down for one please

And thanks again for taking the time to do all this
:thumby:

As a post above - rounding up to £30 would be fine by me !

Thanks for the feedback. Andy thanks too for your thoughts on the cost. I'm useless at pricing, so this is really helpful.

An additional point I thought might be of interest, in case anyone was thinking. The tape used to hold the mounting plate is good for 148° C - according to 3M specs. I'd like to think if it gets that hot you've got a different problem in your hands .

I have a batch of 10 started. Awaiting a few bits to come in (screws). So I'm hoping I'll be ready to get things out to people end of next week.

If course I'll keep you all updated

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Is this for the K25?
For the new aftermarket LED headlamps?

Looks amazing. Sign me in.

Sorry. Bit late with the answer.

Yes. It's exactly for the K25 after market LED headlamp - in particular, for the version that has the 3 mounting points (one each on either side, and one central, underneath).

Me too please, ordered the "normal" replacement led unit today. Hopefully can bond it before fitting in a couple of weeks providing the light turns up OK! :)

Excellent!
Can I buy one from you?
Shipped to the USA.

Sure. You're now on the list for one of the first batch

All being well, I will be shipping late next week.

Sure. You're now on the list for one of the first batch

All being well, I will be shipping late next week.

Excellent!

Do send me the PP address and the total cost including shipping to Miami, FL 33206, USA.

Thanks !

Me too please, ordered the "normal" replacement led unit today. Hopefully can bond it before fitting in a couple of weeks providing the light turns up OK! :)

I got mine in March, it took 5 days to my door from China :thumb

Great. You too are on the list for unit from the first batch.

Welli keep saying first batch, for no way. I've now printed multiples just to get it right!

Will update you all during next week of actual shipping availability

Excellent!

Do send me the PP address and the total cost including shipping to Miami, FL 33206, USA.

Thanks !

Sure. Will be looking into this urgently. It only weighs 68g and no electronics or batteries so I'm hoping it's right down on postage cost!

I think if you work on a solution for the K1200LT mirrors you’ll have a lot of buyers.
They are press on a round pin, with clips. The clip base cracks and they no longer hold.
We end up screwing then on.

Someone did a solution with magnets. That’s the one I like.
But it requires modifying the base of the mirror.
So, if you design a new base that holds the magnet and replaces the pins (on the bike) for magnets. That’d be awesome.

There are quite a few LTs in the UK.
Get on FB on the LT groups. “BMW K1200LT International”. You’ll see the need.

Throwing some ideas out there for ya.

I think if you work on a solution for the K1200LT mirrors you’ll have a lot of buyers.
They are press on a round pin, with clips. The clip base cracks and they no longer hold.
We end up screwing then on.

Someone did a solution with magnets. That’s the one I like.
But it requires modifying the base of the mirror.
So, if you design a new base that holds the magnet and replaces the pins (on the bike) for magnets. That’d be awesome.

There are quite a few LTs in the UK.
Get on FB on the LT groups. “BMW K1200LT International”. You’ll see the need.

Throwing some ideas out there for ya.

Interesting...! I'd like to see the issue. I like fixing/correcting things. But I'm totally unfamiliar with the LT. So I need to take a look at this in more detail.

Thanks for the tip

Yeah,

12698daf0b98054e4845ab26177ece5c.jpg

That’s the mirror.

On the bike side, there are three pins, and the mirror has three clips.

b707ac16ed884b2bf158e5018f314a0f.jpg

The clips base cracks and clips can no longer hold the mirror properly.
This system is quite violent to make them snap together.

c665ae2ae83eff876ea05bc3335d5a3c.jpg

So, the whole base would have to be remade.
I suggest the magnets because it’s an elegant solution.
The mirrors have a tether.

As you can see mine also suffers from the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom