HORRENDOUS SQUEAK

The Chief

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good evening All.

Could I kindly ask if any others riders are suffering from the awful squeak from the brakes on their 1250 GSA's? I took mine back to Ocean BMW and asked why it was making the noise. Apparently, it is something to do with debris between the disc and pad and is the apparent norm. Not particularly cool when you're riding a £20k+ down a quiet street and all you can hear is the squeak!!! I don't use the brakes very often if that has anything to do with it. Anyone got any relevant ideas on its prevention / cure, please? It is my one and ONLY gripe with this AMAZING bike.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I'd start using the brakes and hope the noise goes. Start using them as they're meant to be used before jumping to any conclusions. For a kick off I'd apply them hard from a high speed to get fresh face on the pads and to clean the disc face.

Good evening All.

Could I kindly ask if any others riders are suffering from the awful squeak from the brakes on their 1250 GSA's? I took mine back to Ocean BMW and asked why it was making the noise. Apparently, it is something to do with debris between the disc and pad and is the apparent norm. Not particularly cool when you're riding a £20k+ down a quiet street and all you can hear is the squeak!!! I don't use the brakes very often if that has anything to do with it. Anyone got any relevant ideas on its prevention / cure, please? It is my one and ONLY gripe with this AMAZING bike.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Glazed pads perhaps , not had it with mine . Take them out and run a file over the surface , not normal mind but my KTM used to do this all the time .

Not something that has troubled be on the bike, just occasionally with cars, usually due to glazing after driving in slow traffic.

Common causes are worn or glazed pads and rotors, broken anti rattle clips, chatter between calliper piston & pad, and a scored/warped rotor surface.

If giving the brakes a good hard thrashing doesn't work (it usually does), then you will need to drop the pads out, clean everything up, deglaze the pads/rotors, clean the rotors with brake cleaner & reassemble with say the tiniest amount of liquid moly brake lube or similar between pad/piston. Clearly, if the brake rotors are scored or starting to warp, then they will continue to trap brake dust/debris, so the problem is likely to re-emerge from time to time.

Get the brakes and rotors really hot - glowing
Lots of braking in 100m circles & then get a mate to Chuck a bucket of cold water on first the front brakes, then get the back hot and then get him to Chuck a bucket of cold water on the rear
Make the water sizzle and steam
It’ll cure the glazed pads and clean up the discs & the squeak will be gone

Get the brakes and rotors really hot - glowing
Lots of braking in 100m circles & then get a mate to Chuck a bucket of cold water on first the front brakes, then get the back hot and then get him to Chuck a bucket of cold water on the rear
Make the water sizzle and steam
It’ll cure the glazed pads and clean up the discs & the squeak will be gone
Is that a Jamie Oliver method 😂

My new 1250 (january this year) has just started to develop the squak on front pads. That kind of noise is not new to me and I had it on my last 2 bikes and have it on my car right now.
As I worked as car mechanic many years ago and kept on developing my skills as amateur mechanic on motorcycles, I can only say what I know about that squeak. The squeak is produced by tiny vibration of the pad. Any pads will vibrate but the vibration is so tiny that human eye or touch can't see/feel it. That vibration produces high frequency metal-to-metal banging that at the end is revealed as a squeak. But, the banging is not between the pad and the disk. I mean, it is happening there but no noise is produced. The noise is produced between rear of the pad and the piston where the pad is touching. At that place, it is metal-to-metal. So that is the source of the squeak.
The solution is very simple, it just requires some work and patience. You just have to remove the pads and put tiny film of copper grease at the area where the pad is touching the piston. You can purchase copper grease in any automotive store. When I do it on my bikes. I put the grease at the area I mentioned and at any other area where moving parts are touching metal-to-metal on the calipers. So far, I had success of 100%. The noise has never come back.
If we lived in perfect world, the factory would have the copper grease applied on new bike and at the service where pads are replaced, they would apply it. But they don't. You can see on some bikes that there is tiny plate installed on the rear of the pad with some cushing material to decrease the vibration. I don't know if GS uses it as this is my first BMW bike and I haven't looked at the pads yet.
I like to say that I know a lot about mechanics on cars and bikes but few months ago I just made rookie mistake. My car, Ford, went to its 15.000 miles service to the dealership. That was the last service I've done there because the car was still on warranty. Next service, the car is not on warranty anymore and I'll do it myself. So, they called me and said that pads need to be replaced. My mind was completely ocupied with the work that day and I just said OK, do it. What a mistake. Firstly, pads didn't need replacing. And secondly, my car has horrible squeak now. I'll have to do copper grease now on my car and on my bike...
One more piece of advice. Do not sand the pads surface or disks because you'll need to do bedding process on your pads again. The best way is to put them back the way they were and on exact position they were before removing. You can just wash them with soapy water if you wish. Sanding may resolve the noise for few miles but after bedding process is over, the squeak will return.
I'm not professional mechanic. What I said here is just my humble opinion...

The downside of the Hayes (BMW) calipers, you can't just pop the pads out to clean them being enclosed at the rear. This also lets the crud build up faster. had same problem on my 2019 1250gs

My new 1250 (january this year) has just started to develop the squak on front pads. That kind of noise is not new to me and I had it on my last 2 bikes and have it on my car right now.
As I worked as car mechanic many years ago and kept on developing my skills as amateur mechanic on motorcycles, I can only say what I know about that squeak. The squeak is produced by tiny vibration of the pad. Any pads will vibrate but the vibration is so tiny that human eye or touch can't see/feel it. That vibration produces high frequency metal-to-metal banging that at the end is revealed as a squeak. But, the banging is not between the pad and the disk. I mean, it is happening there but no noise is produced. The noise is produced between rear of the pad and the piston where the pad is touching. At that place, it is metal-to-metal. So that is the source of the squeak.
The solution is very simple, it just requires some work and patience. You just have to remove the pads and put tiny film of copper grease at the area where the pad is touching the piston. You can purchase copper grease in any automotive store. When I do it on my bikes. I put the grease at the area I mentioned and at any other area where moving parts are touching metal-to-metal on the calipers. So far, I had success of 100%. The noise has never come back.
If we lived in perfect world, the factory would have the copper grease applied on new bike and at the service where pads are replaced, they would apply it. But they don't. You can see on some bikes that there is tiny plate installed on the rear of the pad with some cushing material to decrease the vibration. I don't know if GS uses it as this is my first BMW bike and I haven't looked at the pads yet.
I like to say that I know a lot about mechanics on cars and bikes but few months ago I just made rookie mistake. My car, Ford, went to its 15.000 miles service to the dealership. That was the last service I've done there because the car was still on warranty. Next service, the car is not on warranty anymore and I'll do it myself. So, they called me and said that pads need to be replaced. My mind was completely ocupied with the work that day and I just said OK, do it. What a mistake. Firstly, pads didn't need replacing. And secondly, my car has horrible squeak now. I'll have to do copper grease now on my car and on my bike...
One more piece of advice. Do not sand the pads surface or disks because you'll need to do bedding process on your pads again. The best way is to put them back the way they were and on exact position they were before removing. You can just wash them with soapy water if you wish. Sanding may resolve the noise for few miles but after bedding process is over, the squeak will return.

Grease on brakes. :reaper

I'm also in the 'don't put grease anywhere near your brakes' camp.

If you go to the EBC site they specifically say 'Never apply greases to the reverse of pads to attempt to stop noise, it doesn’t work'. I'd hope that they have a vague idea of what they're talking about.

EDIT: I'll put the source in, just in case... https://ebcbrakes.com/product/ebc-caliper-brake-lube/

I'm also in the 'don't put grease anywhere near your brakes' camp.

If you go to the EBC site they specifically say 'Never apply greases to the reverse of pads to attempt to stop noise, it doesn’t work'. I'd hope that they have a vague idea of what they're talking about.

EDIT: I'll put the source in, just in case... https://ebcbrakes.com/product/ebc-caliper-brake-lube/

I actually think they mean grease grease, rather than copper slip.
Grease can heat up and melt down onto the discs, copperslip melts at a much higher temp. I’ve always put a smear of it on the back of pads on bikes and cars, never had any issue, or squeaky brakes.
Cheers
Dave

I have always used copaslip on the back of brake pads. Never had any problems with it getting onto the discs or pad friction material.

Mine did it, I took all four out cleaned them with a wire brush, scraped the slot with a screwdriver and lightly “greased” the backs with copperslip. There are new ceramic compounds available, but I have enough copperslip to last a lifetime.

Thanks for all of the tips so far. I shall wade through upon my return from 4 days in Wales commencing Friday.

i never put copperslip on the back of pads , if i see it i remove it . would you put grease in a dry clutch ?

squeak is a mismatch of pad and disc and/or too tight a pad in caliper.

i grind leading and trailing sides off all pads i fit ....they don't squeak.

i never put copperslip on the back of pads , if i see it i remove it . would you put grease in a dry clutch ?

squeak is a mismatch of pad and disc and/or too tight a pad in caliper.

i grind leading and trailing sides off all pads i fit ....they don't squeak.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom