Help with Tubes for my Tubeless GS???

GSCraig

Reaction score
2006 BMW R1200GS... new to me about 500m ago and I must say that I am embarrassed at how much CRAP I used to give BMWers.
AND I APOLOGIZE!!!
THESE THINGS ARE BOMB!

Going to BMWMOA Rally late June in MT and am building my GS up for the first time (yeh, yeh, no thanks to CanBus and ABS and 'Test before StartUp' and, And, AND!!!

I want to get just one Tube for back up for both tars as we will not hit much more than a Fire Trail on the Ride Up/Back from PHX (via Moab, Alpine, YellowStone, and Great Falls).

My Stock Tires now are:

F - 2.5" x 19", 110/80 R19 59H Tubeless
R - 4.00" x 17", 150/70 R17 69H Tubeless

I pretty much know I can Tube-A-Tubeless to get me back to civilization (extra insurance regardless if my tire puncture repair worked)... And on my KLR we can carry 1 tube as Emergency and it'll fit (well enough) the F and R tar.

Can I do that BMW?

Can one of you Wizards recommend a size (or 2 if you think I should carry 2 tubes, one for each tar)?

Thank you in advance!!!

P.S. More Qs a-comin'... This Platform begs a lot of questions for a older Kawasaki KLR650 experienced rider!!!

I don't think I'd want to fit a 17" tube in a 19" tyre or vise versa. There's a good chance an incorrect size will be caught by a lever either way. Just get 2 of the correct sizes. I have heard that heavy duty ones can over heat a bit if used on the road for extended periods but personally I can't see it being a problem. I have been thinking of buying a pair for Iceland this year just incase. After a bit of research the correct sizes are readily available.

I’d just get a 17 inch tube. But how much space does a tube take!!! JJH

OOPS!!! AND APOLOGIES!

Apologies for my poor forum etiquette... BUT I LOST WHERE I POSTED THIS and I also do not get updates to my email about activity on a Post.

Okay, like the idea if to 'store' tubes in tires... but part of me has to ask if that's anything like Blinker Fluid???
Then I realize you're saying then to just run on Tubes?
Then it's a tube/tire repair instead of a tire repair or it's a tube insert in lieu of tire repair?
I obviously don't speak mechanic and don't seem to be getting any smarter yet.

So a 17" tube is a suggestion to carry somewhere on the bike as a back up for Front & Rear. And when one says 17" is that all I have to tell RM ATV or my local shop... I want a 17" tube?

Thanks for the responses fellas.

Personally I wouldn’t carry tubes unless I was crossing a wide desert or something like that. The space would be better filled with a good tubeless repair kit and a pump. Everyone has a view on what spares to bring and of course what tools as well. I’d only recommend carrying spare tubes if your rims are tube type. JJH

Personally I wouldn’t carry tubes unless I was crossing a wide desert or something like that. The space would be better filled with a good tubeless repair kit and a pump. Everyone has a view on what spares to bring and of course what tools as well. I’d only recommend carrying spare tubes if your rims are tube type. JJH

Our friend and fellow member is in one of the colonies, so I suspect that his going out is a bit further than Tescos car park.
Without knowing, I think his plan is c.3.5k miles (but its only a guess) and the reference to "fire trail" suggests more off-roading that 90% of the collective here.
If he is loading up his GS then two tubes mounted in the top box will hardly add any strain, and may well add to piece of mind.

Our friend and fellow member is in one of the colonies, so I suspect that his going out is a bit further than Tescos car park.
Without knowing, I think his plan is c.3.5k miles (but its only a guess) and the reference to "fire trail" suggests more off-roading that 90% of the collective here.
If he is loading up his GS then two tubes mounted in the top box will hardly add any strain, and may well add to piece of mind.
Yep. I agree. 1 or 2 tubes isn’t going to overload the bike and if it brings peace of mind well worth packing. I hope I wasn’t being overly negative on the idea. JJH

2 tubes.set of tyre levers. Some lube. Bead breaker. Repair kit. Pump -hand/foot/.. Better to be safe.
I'm going to buy some tubes , the ones linked to above for Iceland this year I think..
we had one puncture last year on a KTM with tubes. At least he had a spare. Middle of nowhere. Literally.

2 tubes.set of tyre levers. Some lube. Bead breaker. Repair kit. Pump -hand/foot/.. Better to be safe.
I'm going to buy some tubes , the ones linked to above for Iceland this year I think..
we had one puncture last year on a KTM with tubes. At least he had a spare. Middle of nowhere. Literally.

Have YOU ever fitted a tube while on the road?

Have YOU ever fitted a tube while on the road?

Good point, apart from last year in Iceland on said KTM no never had to. Maybe I won't bother after all.
There were some very rough "roads" but it wasn't a problem really . I guess the odds on getting a puncture that bad it'll need a tube instead of a plug etc then maybe the tyre will be buggered anyway.

!!! WOW !!!

okay, Okay, OKAAAAAY...

I'm learning...
adjusting,
re-considering.

Tube(s) for piece of mind (my KLR allows for one tube for either tire since they are 'close enough') is almost enough of a reason for me alone (assuming a tube also properly enhances my flat tire scenarios).

I'll carry at least one with everything else everyone here mentioned (already have tire repair kit, proper tools, but have only WATCHED YOUTUBE Vids to 'know how' to change the tire). Fortunately I'll be with a buncha wise old BMWers so I'll be fine. And we won't really leave civilization to speak of on this Ride. I'm just wanting her dialed in for most of anything while I'm doing all this work on her; just change of Riding Suit and add some layers when it's colder and 'Bob's your Uncle!'. Well that, and HAND WARMERS!

OH WAIT... ALREADY GOT 'EM ON MY BIKE!

bmw is so sweet (my first Bimmer 'sicle and just as pleased as punch about it).

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

P.S. I ask a question and I prefer the Truth. Most of these forums will give us that, even if we DON'T want it... but I do. So be frank Ladies and Germs... YOU'RE THE EXPERTS (weeeellllll... some of you anyway).

:)

Back
Top Bottom