Biking and hiking - don’t sweat it!

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For years I’ve ridden bikes and for years I’ve hiked mountain peaks. I’ve never really had the inclination to do both at the same time though. Pondering the reasons why, the following springs to mind.

The thought of leaving my bike for hours on end in god knows where fills me with dread. All of those tales of bandits in the high country and returning to an empty space is just too much.

If you’re not knackered after a proper mountain day, then you didn’t do it well enough is an expression I’ve heard many times. I guess there is truth in that but the fact that you then have to ride home for a few hours with a good dose of leg cramp for good measure doesn’t sound like fun to me.

But what the hell I thought - it’s been a while and I desperately needed to get out.

In a word - what a stunning day on the Lliweds in Snowdonia, combining those two great passions in my life. Yes it was a struggle, mainly due to my poor lockdown fitness but there is a truth in energy spent is an energy received.

So think of giving a bike and hike a go. Maybe you’ll find something in that struggle that speaks to you. Something that lifts your spirits. Something that helps you keep it together.

Glenn

A7544BBD-F319-4C7A-9274-E4FE9CD7DCC7.jpg

3BD571B1-1394-4E7E-A0F0-DC9F7745B9BD.jpg

DF9E61EF-37A7-4682-9959-82EF01ABB35F.jpg

548AC1DD-88D1-4ADE-AE00-FB100412ACEB.jpg

AA55103C-D1E7-4D7F-BE80-70D97B573BA8.jpg

Crystal clear water in the pool there.... stunning.

And I guess you never picked up any 'making progress' tickets with that number plate :D

Me and the wife (as pillion) do hiking & biking every year. Before covid we did the Cares Gorge Northern Spain and its a fine art on how to dress for walks as well as biking gear for your return journey to your hotel. We stop at say 2 or 3 days near walks. Then move on to the next destination, choosing good biking roads. It take months of planning but I like it that way. I know some do not like to plan, but we prefer it. Hopefully in September (we are booked) to Santander over night , then slowly make our way through the north Pyreness then France. I have 3 walks planned plus other site seeing over a 10 day period then Rotterdam ferry. Best of both worlds

Me and the wife (as pillion) do hiking & biking every year. Before covid we did the Cares Gorge Northern Spain and its a fine art on how to dress for walks as well as biking gear for your return journey to your hotel. We stop at say 2 or 3 days near walks. Then move on to the next destination, choosing good biking roads. It take months of planning but I like it that way. I know some do not like to plan, but we prefer it. Hopefully in September (we are booked) to Santander over night , then slowly make our way through the north Pyreness then France. I have 3 walks planned plus other site seeing over a 10 day period then Rotterdam ferry. Best of both worlds

And you stay bike fit too. :thumby: Sounds great.

Motorcycling & mountaineering are deeply ingrained within me but I never tried mixing them - as you say if you are not knackered (& sweaty) coming off a hill you have not done it right - but parking the knackered element the sweaty hill gear under the road gear puts me off. A change of gear is more clutter on the bike so the easier van option gets used.
You have got me thinking......
Nice photos.

Motorcycling & mountaineering are deeply ingrained within me but I never tried mixing them - as you say if you are not knackered (& sweaty) coming off a hill you have not done it right - but parking the knackered element the sweaty hill gear under the road gear puts me off. A change of gear is more clutter on the bike so the easier van option gets used.
Nice photos.

I bet there is a nice refreshing stream nearby on the walkout though. And You’ll know there is no feeling like it after a sweaty day :D

For years I’ve ridden bikes and for years I’ve hiked mountain peaks..................

Wow! How beautiful and the clear water in that pool just looks so inviting! What a great day you had :)

Oh, and I've never heard the phrase 'energy spent is an energy received' before but yes in so many different situations, ain't that the truth :thumb2

Andres

Nice photos.

Like I stated its a fine art to get the clothing right. Shorts under trousers use hiking boot while riding for that day. 2 metre Cable through jacket sleeves then in bin bag just in case it rains while walking. Helmets in panniers, trousers in top box

Like I stated its a fine art to get the clothing right. Shorts under trousers use hiking boot while riding for that day. 2 metre Cable through jacket sleeves then in bin bag just in case it rains while walking. Helmets in panniers, trousers in top box

+1 for that strategy. We have used similar over a number of years, usually in the Northern Alps. Never had an issue. Best of both worlds.

I've ridden to a B&B/hotel in the Lakes for a couple of days hill bashing, but haven't done it on daytrips because it's easier in the car :blush

We went to Snowdonia on the bike over the Bank Holiday weekend and vowed we'd return with our walking boots, but it's too far for a day trip as I live on the southern edge of the Yorkshire Dales. The scenery was beautiful :thumb2

I've thought of doing this for years.
I always end up going in the car. The thought of leaving my 2 wheeled baby all alone in the middle of nowhere scares me to death.

It doesn't help that so many of the start points for these kinda walks are in secluded places

Back
Top Bottom