Biking and hiking - don’t sweat it!

I've thought of doing this for years.
I always end up going in the car. The thought of leaving my 2 wheeled baby all alone in the middle of nowhere scares me to death.

It doesn't help that so many of the start points for these kinda walks are in secluded places

I would like to think that your average bike thief would be operating in towns ect. Where the pickings are more available, or that is what I tell myself to help me feel better

I've thought of doing this for years.
I always end up going in the car. The thought of leaving my 2 wheeled baby all alone in the middle of nowhere scares me to death.

It doesn't help that so many of the start points for these kinda walks are in secluded places

Thefts from cars - as opposed to theft of cars - has been a sporadic issue in hiking hotspots in some areas of Ireland

On the Matterhorn, left the bike at the Tasch campsite. Shock horror it was still there when I eventually got back :D

Attachments

• IMGP2466.jpg
    IMGP2466.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 284
I did a 300 plus mile round trip on my old Twin Cam to climb Tryfan a few years back.
All very enjoyable, but keeping the cramp at bay on the M54 was the only thing that stopped me nodding off.

Tryfan is a great peak - North ridge especially. I’ll probably bike and hike there next as the layby is big enough to tuck the bike in somewhere. Pic of Sally, my wife, on our last little venture there.

Attachments

• F27768E8-1F5A-4DCD-8997-B85FBCD17075.jpg
    F27768E8-1F5A-4DCD-8997-B85FBCD17075.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 230
Tryfan is a great peak - North ridge especially. I’ll probably bike and hike there next as the layby is big enough to tuck the bike in somewhere. Pic of Sally, my wife, on our last little venture there.

Great pic. Also my favourite mountain anywhere and you're right the north ridge is a great route.
When I was 10 years old my Father had me jumping from Adam to Eve....guess he thought it would be character building :D

A few years ago on the north ridge

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516436026401-01-01.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516436026401-01-01.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 229
Great pic. Also my favourite mountain anywhere and you're right the north ridge is a great route.
When I was 10 years old my Father had me jumping from Adam to Eve....guess he thought it would be character building :D

A few years ago on the north ridge

Nice one; here's my lad up on Stannage; no bike and hike tho.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-103652.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-103652.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 228
Nice shot Timolgra. For people who wonder where is Tryfan, it’s the mountain that looks like a dinosaur back in the Ogwen Valley. Snowdonia. Adam and Eve are two blocks of stone on the top, about 5ft apart that if you jump from one to the other it is a right of passage. It’s all well and good but a 1000ft drop if you miss it. This great shot of Timolgra is half way up - known as the canon.

Another bit of fun on this peak is that the RAF fly boys usually roar through the valley at low level. You never hear the first as it swooshes by, but they travel in pairs, so a few seconds later if you’re high enough you’ll look down right into the cockpit - brilliant.

Nice shot Timolgra. For people who wonder where is Tryfan, it’s the mountain that looks like a dinosaur back in the Ogwen Valley. Snowdonia. Adam and Eve are two blocks of stone on the top, about 5ft apart that if you jump from one to the other it is a right of passage. It’s all well and good but a 1000ft drop if you miss it. This great shot of Timolgra is half way up - known as the canon.

Another bit of fun on this peak is that the RAF fly boys usually roar through the valley at low level. You never hear the first as it swooshes by, but they travel in pairs, so a few seconds later if you’re high enough you’ll look down right into the cockpit - brilliant.

In the late 70s we climbed Tryfan with the youth club and jumped between the stones at the top. I’m sure it wouldn’t be allowed by Staffordshire Youth services today.

Tryfan on the A5. There is parking at the base in the Ogwen valley. A nice ride through.

Attachments

• 359A2B95-3B80-4712-BCCE-460245ADE168.jpg
    359A2B95-3B80-4712-BCCE-460245ADE168.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 220
My favourite route is up the north ridge and over Tryfan, drop down to the Bwlch, so Brisley ridge properly, across the Glyders past Castle of the Winds dropping down through Devil's Kitchen to Idwal. Perfect and from there could almost see my old cottage :)
Between Adam and Eve... moustache n'all :D

Attachments

• Scan10024.JPG
    Scan10024.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 217
There was a group of us on here who met for two years on our GSes and did Snowdon, Sca Fell Pike and Ben Nevis, one peak a day with a B&B overnight and morning travel to the next peak.

It was great fun but knackering, we left the bikes chained together with no issues. Not sure I could do it now though.

Three National Peaks 2003

Heading for Ben Nevis.

Attachments

• 014_11.jpg
    014_11.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 269
Three National Peaks 2008

Somewhere in the Highlands and Lakes.

Attachments

• CIMG0460.jpg
    CIMG0460.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMGP3247.jpg
    IMGP3247.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 267
For twenty plus years from the mid 80's I rode to the Alps, parked the bike at a roadside refuge and walked for two weeks. Sometimes a circular walk, but if that not possible ,say, on the GR5 would public transport back to the bike.
Needed to travel light as my wife would fly out to join me and continue our holiday together. My wife's idea of a walk uphill was from Charing Cross to the crown of Sauchiehall St.
Clothing would be motorcycling gear on and in a pannier for my wife. That does not leave much space for walking gear so when walking, strictly one set to walk in and one for the evenings. If the day gear was not dry by the next morning, it had to be worn and dry on the hoof. Nothing spoils a walking tour more than carrying too much weight.
The Alps are full of huts, refuges where you can get a bunk, evening meal and breakfast. They are nicely spaced out a day's walk apart. In Austria the Stubai has good huts and routes between. The French have a large network of Grand Randonnee, including the GR5 from St Gingolf to Menton, Chamonix to Saas Fee and the Tour du Mont Blanc. The Swiss have a vast number of yellow signposted paths.
Great times but probably responsible for knackered knees.

My wife's idea of a walk uphill was from Charing Cross to the crown of Sauchiehall St. :yelrotflm

I really do need to get out on these routes - they sound amazing. Any pics of your travels?

Mrs N and I started out going on separate biking and walking trips, but have come to the conclusion that there is no need. Riding and walking mix if you are sensible on either front.

Here we are just about to leave Poncebos after walking the north end of the Cares Gorge, having done the south end of the gorge from Cain de Valdeon on a separate trip to the Picos.

We just park the bike, get changed into our walking clobber and off we go. I try not too fret too much about the bike and the kit we are leaving behind! Thankfully we have had no issues with safety over many years of such an approach.

Its true though that you don't want a long ride at the end of a good days walking, especially if it's wet or cold! What you do want though is a cold beer and a hot shower when you get back to the hotel!

Attachments

• IMG_7473.jpg
    IMG_7473.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 239

I’m sure those RAF nutters from Valley try to scare climbers if they see them high up on Idwal Slabs because I’ve had a close up view of the underside of a Hawk a few times as they peel off at the last minute.

Back
Top Bottom