Biking and hiking - don’t sweat it!

I’m sure those RAF nutters from Valley try to scare climbers if they see them high up on Idwal Slabs because I’ve had a close up view of the underside of a Hawk a few times as they peel off at the last minute.

I once met the chief flying instructor from RAF Valley while living nearby and of course had to ask " Come on then, what's it really like to take that right hander down Nant Ffrancon?"
His face lit up, and there was my answer :D

Certainly puts the Gog Magog Hills to shame here in Cambridge..............:D

Great scenery and great piccies

Kimbo

I once met the chief flying instructor from RAF Valley while living nearby and of course had to ask " Come on then, what's it really like to take that right hander down Nant Ffrancon?"
His face lit up, and there was my answer :D

What I would give to experience that turn! That there is the stuff of dreams. :bow

Timolgra mentioned ‘Castle of the winds’ (Castell y Gwynt) here in one of his posts. Look at this beaut!

No excuse fellas - get your bikes down to the Ogwen Valley.:D

Attachments

• 794F45C2-C2A1-4CAF-800A-97E937C9AB29.jpg
    794F45C2-C2A1-4CAF-800A-97E937C9AB29.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 210
Timolgra mentioned ‘Castle of the winds’ (Castell y Gwynt) here in one of his posts. Look at this beaut!

No excuse fellas - get your bikes down to the Ogwen Valley.:D

Just beautiful and my favourite area anywhere in the world.

Did you know the gate on the main path towards Idwal represents the landscape contours? :)

Attachments

• P1000139-01.jpg
    P1000139-01.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 203
While searching for some poetic writings of the area I was reminded of this from Thomas Firbank's 'I bought a mountain'

"...and across empty space Tryfan rises in unbuttressed isolation. Tryfan, the queen of the mountains, hard ruler of them all, has many suitors, but none can claim her love. She guards her cold honour with veils of mist, with with smooth black slabs of rock, with poised boulders, and with enticing green gullies which bend ever steeper, till the lover slides away in a loose, wet avalanche of stones and moss. Tryfan sacrifices many bloody victims on her cold stone altar, and remains the vestal who offers nothing but a dead embrace."

While searching for some poetic writings of the area I was reminded of this from Thomas Firbank's 'I bought a mountain'

"...and across empty space Tryfan rises in unbuttressed isolation. Tryfan, the queen of the mountains, hard ruler of them all, has many suitors, but none can claim her love. She guards her cold honour with veils of mist, with with smooth black slabs of rock, with poised boulders, and with enticing green gullies which bend ever steeper, till the lover slides away in a loose, wet avalanche of stones and moss. Tryfan sacrifices many bloody victims on her cold stone altar, and remains the vestal who offers nothing but a dead embrace."

Oooph...Sends a shiver up me!

I know this is off topic a bit, but I have a superstitious bad feeling about the term ‘conquering a mountain’. I think it more as making a deal with those big ancient friends, to keep me safe, to hold it together and see me home.

Oooph...Sends a shiver up me!

I know this is off topic a bit, but I have a superstitious bad feeling about the term ‘conquering a mountain’. I think it more as making a deal with those big ancient friends, to keep me safe, to hold it together and see me home.

Wise words :thumb

Cold on Carnedd Llewelyn with faithful Gyp, who always loved the mountains, born and bred from working dogs in Snowdonia, we were together for 18 years :)

Attachments

• P1010114-01.jpg
    P1010114-01.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 224
I’ve been using motorbikes to access the mountains for a long time, one of the reasons I love bikes. Touch wood, the bikes always been there when I get back.
One of the reasons why I have fallen for the 1150gsa is that it allows me to carry bigger, lockable loads. This means I can, not just go running or hiking but also carry ropes and climbing gear.

Doesn’t matter how knackered I am after a day on the hill, I always seem to have enough energy to enjoy the ride afterwards!

Thanks for sharing the great stories and pictures.. i would def love to give it a try.. one downside.. here in Holland everything is a friggin flat as a pancake🤣🤣 but def gonna try it on one of my visits to the UK. Thanks guys for sharing these lill adventures👍

Back
Top Bottom