Wifi router upgrade time.

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good value router? we need at least two as our house is reinforced concrete and every room is a faraday cage.Weve at least 3 routers and rj45 running all over the place .Many thanks !

Depends if you equate value with cheap, or are willing to splurge.

I've an ASUS AX6 router pretty quick, and with good signal, they integrate with one another to form a mesh. If you have a single RJ45 cable from where your router is placed next to the internet coming in to the secondary node, you can use wired backhaul to improve general download speed. They are quick anyway, so not necessary, just beneficial if you can. It also frees up some of the wifi spectrum rather than dedicating it to the back haul part.

The newer netgear / asus ax5 ax6 routers are generally pretty good, with mesh, they can extend out the range seamlessly with 2 or 3 or more units.

Key words mesh Aimesh wifi ax

Another shout for a top end Asus

We have Benn using them in the office for 8 years now so the ones we have are pretty old but they have been faultless with huge signal range

We didn't buy cheap though and at the time for routers they were pricey

That first one I mentioned would be a good choice, I'd do that today if I didn't already have what I need, that is £155/router which is not bad for the specs, buy two sets if you feel rich, or add a third unit at a alter date if you need it.

Thanks for the help guys, ill look into those, but i wonder are they just too good for a 30mb broadband connection? would a less expensive unit be just as good, bearing in mind the cap of the 30mb connection?

A decent set up will future proof you if you get a better connection, but we get you point about these being over kill when you have 30mb.

The advantage of these ones we've mentioned is overall range and ability to get a signal around a difficult house.

Have a look at any of the Asus range with AI Mesh

These are two still showing on Asus as current models.

£81
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RT-AX55-Du...620851208&sprefix=asus+rt-ax55,aps,192&sr=8-1

£95
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX...&keywords=asus+rt-ax56u&qid=1620851329&sr=8-1

The dearer one has more ram. A pair of those rt-ax56u would do you well, and you can add more later.

There are cheaper options, but the older ones not have support for as long.

Good luck, there are plenty of choices out there.

Looking at the ax 55, it shows a blue symbol which looks like an internet input, is that right? do i need to use the Provided vodafone router and feed the ax55 or can i just plug in the asus one into the modem line and off she goes? Thanks for your help btw

Only 30 Mb/s?

I'd be pleased to have 5 Mb/s.

the SE is so advanced compared to us turnip growers in the Shires :p

Had a card through the door on Monday to say https://www.cityfibre.com/gigabit-cities/cheltenham/ are installing fibre to the door in the next few weeks as part of a town wide programme.

I currently pay for 37Mb/s via FTTC and LLU from Talk Talk. Several other LLU options up to 250Mb/s. I can also have Virgin cable to the door with 500Mb/s as well as whatever City are offering.

I repeat. :p

I use Powerline adapters. Work great for the smart tv and desktop. Not sure whether there are wifi repeaters that just plug into the powerline system.

the most recent powerline adapters will form a fancy MESH wifi network. Even the cheaper ones have wifi.

I just upgraded to the NetGear Orbi AX4200 (RBR750) system. It's a router and two mesh network satellites. It's brilliant kit. Rock solid wifi all over the house at the limit speeds of every device attached to it.

We have a big old rambling Victorian house with two foot thick walls and I have tried just about every combination or routers, extenders, powerline, etc, etc.... over the years and this is by far the best setup. I even get wifi 50 metres down the garden.

I ditched the BT hub and BT whole home discs that I have been using before as they were getting kind of unreliable.

The NetGear system was not cheap, but it is bloody good.

It may be overkill for you though as I have mine hooked directly to a 900Mbps fibre connection. But it certainly bears thinking about if you have a "difficult" house for wifi propagation.

the SE is so advanced compared to us turnip growers in the Shires :p

Had a card through the door on Monday to say https://www.cityfibre.com/gigabit-cities/cheltenham/ are installing fibre to the door in the next few weeks as part of a town wide programme.

I currently pay for 37Mb/s via FTTC and LLU from Talk Talk. Several other LLU options up to 250Mb/s. I can also have Virgin cable to the door with 500Mb/s as well as whatever City are offering.

I repeat. :p
I think I may be too far to the SE, pretty much as far SE as you can get.

Back
Top Bottom