How to improve grip on handlebars?

Hildasay

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having fitted the OEM heated grips to my T7 I am finding them extremely smooth and slippery. I'm looking for ways to improve grip without making them significantly thicker as I have small hands. I've ruled out Grip Puppies because they would increase the thickness too much, the Oxford heated grips are thicker too.
Has anyone tried using grip tape/wrap such as the stuff sold for bicycle handlebars or tennis rackets?

Old school. Tape a thin pencil or similar along the grip.

We used to push the pencil in under the grip where the bend in your fingers would be.

Thank you. That looks as if it might do the job, not sure how to get it on though - seems you need special tools to apply it to a cricket bat. I'll see if there is something similar in tape form.

You roll it up onto a similar sized rod then unroll it onto the grip - some Isopropyl alcohol or hairspray will help slide it on then evaporate/stick.

Do they get warm at all?

They do - not as hot as the ones on my GS but better than I expected after reading all the negative reports. I have been known to use them on only the second-highest setting.

Push bike inner tube (part thereof) slide over the grips :thumb

:beerjug:

Have you tried cleaning the grips with brake cleaner?

2 small cable ties. Knotted end just where your fingers would curl about 8cm apart. The knobby bits will hook on your gloves..

Cramp Buster by Scottoiler or any other brand. Grips when opening throttle, can be rotated the other way to find best setting.Palm rests on it, no need to grip at all.

You can get shrink wrap rubber covers that they use on golf clubs etc. Cut to length, slide over the grip and pour a kettle of water over it. I've just ordered some actually for my OEM grips because they are very worn after 113.000 miles.
eBay or AliExpress.

Thank you all for your repplies - plenty of ideas to try.
I got some vet wrap from our local vet today so will try that first. I also dug out an old throttle rocker (I'd forgotten that I had it), that should definitely help most of the time but is a bit of a liability off road.

I have used Vet wrap previously to improve grip after some very long days in the rain when I was getting tired and it worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom