Super glide sport......

We my friend are going to have to agree to disagree......

Quite - I’m fecking loving mine, as do many others who frequent these premises.

My only regret is I didn’t come to realise just how much fun they are until quite recently.

Compared to the Evo I had last yr n the issues with it considering it had only done 1500 miles yeah it's stellar miles..as far as I'm concerned Harleys are over rated and folk buy it into all the hype etc ..

Utter bollox .
No idea what hype your on about but I bought an RKS because I tried one and like the M8 motor and the relaxed ride.
Had a Suzuki M1800R when they came out and it was totally devoid of any character . Bit like a modern GS.
But we’re all different, as you say .

Compared to the Evo I had last yr n the issues with it considering it had only done 1500 miles yeah it's stellar miles..as far as I'm concerned Harleys are over rated and folk buy it into all the hype etc ..

Chap buys bike that has done 1500 miles over a 25 plus year period....is amazed that it may need some work after being so inactive, then slags the whole 120 odd years of history of the brand as a result....Righto then.....cuckoo.

My EVO FB had done about 500 miles in the previous 10 years (according to the MOTs) when I bought it last March.

All the gaskets and seals in the primary drive and gearbox have had to be replaced as leaking (no surprise really).

It's had a carb refresh and new battery and tyres. Plus a full service with all the fluids changed.

It's not rocket science to think that anyone buying an old bike (particularly one that hasn't been used much) is going to have be prepared to invest a bit of time and money in getting it up and running properly.

I’m off up to see the bike on Tuesday. Cam tensioner hasn’t been done as far as he knows. So I’ve been doing a little research.:blast
It seems there are two tensioners, front and rear( on different chains). Is one more likely to go than the other or are they both suspect? I watched a few videos, one on a 70k road king the rear one was fine, the front one had disintegrated :eek.
The bike I’m viewing has only 11k on it, am I correct in thinking it seems to be over 25k that this problem can show itself? And if so could I not worry about it for a while?

From what I’ve seen it’s definitely a job I can do at home, although there are a couple of tools that I may need or at least make it easier to do.
There is also the choice of what to do............ replace the tensioners with std Harley ones ( which I assume have been improved) this being the cheaper option or upgrading the cam plate too with an SS upgrade kit which also has hydraulic tensioners, obviously this is 2-3 times the cost.
Anything else I need to consider :blast

Post #6 in the link is a good read regarding the durability of low mileage 88ci cam chain tensioners.
For what it's worth, I have the same engine in my bike and owned 2 of them. The first bike I did 26k from
brand new and I never replaced or upgraded the tensioner, so took a chance. The bike I now own already
had the conversion in place.

It's a job you could put off for a while until the mileage increases towards 20k. IMHO.

https://www.hdherd.com/forum/techni...75-harley-davidson-cam-tensioner-upgrade-tc88

Hope this helps.

As far as I’m aware ... the inner and outer tensioners are both vulnerable... but lots of stories of early failure - lots of stories of bikes doing 35k + with no issue..

If you lift that Dyna for £6k - throw an exhaust and cam tensioner kit at it you will have a bike for life that eats little grass...

As far as I’m aware ... the inner and outer tensioners are both vulnerable... but lots of stories of early failure - lots of stories of bikes doing 35k + with no issue..

If you lift that Dyna for £6k - throw an exhaust and cam tensioner kit at it you will have a bike for life that eats little grass...

Or he could get a 535 Virago which are far superior....apparently. :augie

My EVO FB had done about 500 miles in the previous 10 years (according to the MOTs) when I bought it last March.

All the gaskets and seals in the primary drive and gearbox have had to be replaced as leaking (no surprise really).

It's had a carb refresh and new battery and tyres. Plus a full service with all the fluids changed.

It's not rocket science to think that anyone buying an old bike (particularly one that hasn't been used much) is going to have be prepared to invest a bit of time and money in getting it up and running properly.

Really you think a 98 is an old bike..and you think it's acceptable for your bike that's only done 500 miles that needs stripped down to replace things...wow you're the one that's delusional....but typical Harley owners that accept the failings of a money pit

Really you think a 98 is an old bike..and you think it's acceptable for your bike that's only done 500 miles that needs stripped down to replace things...wow you're the one that's delusional....but typical Harley owners that accept the failings of a money pit

It’s a 1990 bike actually that just hadn’t be used much for the last 10 years.

Anyway nothing for you to fret about anymore now you are owning the streets on a nice nippon cruiser. :p

It’s a 1990 bike actually that just hadn’t be used much for the last 10 years.

Anyway nothing for you to fret about anymore now you are owning the streets on a nice nippon cruiser. :p

Was referring to.my 98 Evo...and your bike..not owning the streets jus enjoying riding a bike without wondering if it's gonna break down ...if Harleys are so great why are they constantly needing fettled ? I done thousands of miles on my 1980 xs650 with only the routine maintenance no stripping cases to replace gaskets,engine parts,and I will do the same on the nippon cruiser

I must have missed the unreliable Harley memo'.

I had three over fourteen years. A Sporty, an Evo and a V-Rod. Countless thousands of miles, all over Europe, 100 % reliable. The Evo particularly just ran and ran, I just KNEW it wouldn't break down and it didn't.

Re this bike. I like Superglides. They are Harleys for people who don't really do the Harley chrome/Live to Ride/tinsel thang. Just a normal motorbike with that whopping V twin banging away.

This thing is worth £6K all day long.....IMHO.

Gigantor speaks wisely.. also no need for “conversions” just replacement higher grade parts..

Was referring to.my 98 Evo...and your bike..not owning the streets jus enjoying riding a bike without wondering if it's gonna break down ...if Harleys are so great why are they constantly needing fettled ? I done thousands of miles on my 1980 xs650 with only the routine maintenance no stripping cases to replace gaskets,engine parts,and I will do the same on the nippon cruiser

And there is the rub. It’s the lack of use that will cause problems with any make of bike over time.

Buying a bike that’s been well used but looked after is probably a better bet that some low mileage garage queen that a lot of folks seek.

So the moral is just ride the thing and if you aren’t using it much then sell it. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom