Optimate 4

davy1100

Reaction score
Hi folks I have the optimate canbus version and I've just converted the din plug to dual USB with nn kit and relocated the din plug to side of bike now wired direct to battery question is can I still just plug the optimate into the din socket to charge bike or do I need to change setting and put clips to battery terminals thanks

Hi folks I have the optimate canbus version and I've just converted the din plug to dual USB with nn kit and relocated the din plug to side of bike now wired direct to battery question is can I still just plug the optimate into the din socket to charge bike or do I need to change setting and put clips to battery terminals thanks

It's not quite clear to me how you've done it. However, the purpose for the 'Can bus mode" for the charger is to open the AUX port that leads the DIN port to the battery via the ZFE.

If the charger connector is connected directly to the battery without being routed through the ZFE, the charger should be set the the normal mode (None CAN bus mode).

Not sure what zfe is so if I change the charger setting back to normal can I still plug the din plug into socket to charge bike

Yes. The kit from Norman’s should mean your DIN socket is directly wired to the battery, so set the Optimate back to non CANbus mode and you’re away.

The optimate canbus charger will charge a BMW battery through the din plug or directly to the battery in canbus mode

In non canbus mode it will only charge directly to the battery

I have a BMW GSA which I charge through the din and other bikes (one for sale on this site!) that charge directly to the battery without changing the mode

Mike

The optimate canbus charger will charge a BMW battery through the din plug or directly to the battery in canbus mode

In non canbus mode it will only charge directly to the battery

I have a BMW GSA which I charge through the din and other bikes (one for sale on this site!) that charge directly to the battery without changing the mode

Mike

There is no problem doing it as described.
The only 'catch' is that in CANbus mode, the charger is limited in it's reconditioning modes, and it will not check for proper polarity prior to charging. Both 'issues' are for all practical purpose not an issue most of the time.
Just keep it in mind if reconditioning is required.

I do the same as you. It has never been a problem in real life...

I have Op4 and change modes often, canbus for plug, and normal for SAE mode.

Back
Top Bottom