What a faff

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tomorrow I want to go up North (Hertfordshire) and I don't want to go on motorway, so, I thought, I'll get one of these apps to do me a nice route, don't need the told fashioned basecamp anymore

First off, I tried Myroute (website). It doesn't do postcodes so I found the location and dropped a pin, and it calculated the route, via the M25. I found how to avoid motorways (highways) and then it routed me via Luton. I'm not going to Luton so I gave up.

next up, Kurviger website. Also doesn't do postcodes, so dropped a pin. It's easy to select different route types, so I chose something like "curvy, fast" and it did a decent route avoiding motorways and Luton. So now, to get the route into the Zumo, I have to export it. This involves scanning a QR code on the website with my Android phone that I use for navigation, which was easy enough, then opening in Kurviger. All well and good, except that the route is now the bog standard M25 one. I couldn't find a way to edit the route in the Kurviger app, and even though it was set to avoid motorways and have a curvy road profile it stuck steadfastly with the M25. Gave up.

Now I exported the route to the Scenic app, and the nice route appeared in the Scenic app on my iPhone. I downloaded the Garmin drive app, unpaired my Android phone from the XT, paired the iPhone, went to Scenic to export to Garmin Drive, which then crashed and wouldn't restart. The fix is to delete the app, delete the bluetooth pairing, delete the device on the XT, re pair it all remembering not to switch on Garmin Explore. In case it was a one off, I tried again to export the route, and it wasn't a one off.

I've just done the whole task in Basecamp and sent the route to my XT. Took 5 minutes.

I generally plan a route on Google Maps and then replicate that on the Nav 6 by just typing in the waypoints, also takes about five minutes if that.

BaseCamp is the work of the Devil. Worse even than Sky TV, rice rocket riders and unfriendly hoteliers. It is impossible to use! I read it here.

I dont know how folks can use it its evil incarnate, far worse even than polite hiviz vests, and any motorcycle that is not a BMW R1200GSA.

Back
Top Bottom