New nav 6

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Browsing the BMW motorrad side yesterday it seems there is a new nav 6 on its way. Has a winding road feature and different avoidance settings and voice directions. Can only hope the ghosting issue has been resolved.

Mine's not new. It was a reconditioned unit from Garmin about a year ago, replacing my dead Nav5. It has the winding roads thingy. No ghosting issue either (whatever that is...)

Interesting? It’s not the curvy routes as on the other Nav 6 this is named winding and also gives notifications like “turn at the traffic lights or other landmarks” spoke to my dealer and he is awaiting delivery.

I doubt it will be a new unit per se, it will be new firmware

they are offloading current models at cost price

It’s in the same shell that’s for sure, if it has a reliable screen and better firmware and software it’s got to be a better unit………….you would think.

Should pick my new nav 6 up Saturday. Will be interesting to see the difference, apparently when you switch it on it comes up with the “Make life a ride” slogan whooo hooo

Should pick my new nav 6 up Saturday. Will be interesting to see the difference, apparently when you switch it on it comes up with the “Make life a ride” slogan whooo hooo
Hope it works out well for you and I can see that it might have a big software update

I’ve had the 5 and the 6 so should be able to do a comparison

Well I have the new nav 6. The packaging is different not that matters. When it turns on it comes up with “Make life a ride” and a 2021 copyright date. But the installed map was a 2017 version. The software seems the same but the font and colours are totally different, black background and different white icons. It seems to update the map much quicker than my previous 6’s or the 5 I currently have. It feels very much the same as my previous 6 and doesn’t feel as robust as my 5 does but I think that is down to the outer framework of the 5.
It still has curvy roads and not winding roads as the bmw web page says, (unless I haven’t found it yet) I imagine that’s what they mean. Has TTS voice navigation now which gives precise directions like “turn left at the church” there is also a “avoid major country roads” feature which I haven’t tried yet. Connected it to phone and sena as I normally would and still it doesn’t control the tracks on my iPhone using the nav buttons or wheel, the other nav 6 was the same only controlling the tracks sometimes. But you don’t have this option on the five just what you have stored on your sdcard. Internal storage is 16gb, can’t remember if my previous 6 was that but it’s more than my 5 that has 8gb I think. I imagine it will be the same with phone calls if you run your phone through your nav, it dials numbers etc but you can’t always hear the call, this used to happen a lot with my other nav 6.
So now I connect differently so the phone and Siri works every time but I still get the benefits of the smart link for traffic & weather.
This is how I connect.

I connect everything to everything but on the nav I turn phone calls off. This way navigation directions come to the sena, phone calls come direct to the sena, if I press the phone button on the sena I can voice dial with Siri or use any Siri functions. I still get weather and live traffic on the nav because it is connected to the phone. Ok I don’t get the nav flash up with who is calling me but my iPhone announces who is calling me anyway and prefer having the use of Siri available all the time. They are also saying the screen has a polarising filter for better use in direct sunlight, not sure as it’s pissing down outside now. Card capacity is 64gb.

To Summarise then BMW or garmin are not marketing this as a different unit to the previous 6 but it has a different interface display but still has the same menus if that makes sense. As for the screen and ghosting only time will tell. The hardware is version 10 if that is any help. It’s no xt that’s for sure but for me I love the use of the wheel to zoom in and out, especially when following a trail off road. If it proves to be free of ghosting I’ll be happy with it. So a mint nav 5 with case and sdcard with latest map update may soon be in the forsale section.

Well I have the new nav 6. The packaging is different not that matters. When it turns on it comes up with “Make life a ride” and a 2021 copyright date. But the installed map was a 2017 version. The software seems the same but the font and colours are totally different, black background and different white icons. It seems to update the map much quicker than my previous 6’s or the 5 I currently have. It feels very much the same as my previous 6 and doesn’t feel as robust as my 5 does but I think that is down to the outer framework of the 5.
It still has curvy roads and not winding roads as the bmw web page says, (unless I haven’t found it yet) I imagine that’s what they mean. Has TTS voice navigation now which gives precise directions like “turn left at the church” there is also a “avoid major country roads” feature which I haven’t tried yet. Connected it to phone and sena as I normally would and still it doesn’t control the tracks on my iPhone using the nav buttons or wheel, the other nav 6 was the same only controlling the tracks sometimes. But you don’t have this option on the five just what you have stored on your sdcard. Internal storage is 16gb, can’t remember if my previous 6 was that but it’s more than my 5 that has 8gb I think. I imagine it will be the same with phone calls if you run your phone through your nav, it dials numbers etc but you can’t always hear the call, this used to happen a lot with my other nav 6.
So now I connect differently so the phone and Siri works every time but I still get the benefits of the smart link for traffic & weather.
This is how I connect.

I connect everything to everything but on the nav I turn phone calls off. This way navigation directions come to the sena, phone calls come direct to the sena, if I press the phone button on the sena I can voice dial with Siri or use any Siri functions. I still get weather and live traffic on the nav because it is connected to the phone. Ok I don’t get the nav flash up with who is calling me but my iPhone announces who is calling me anyway and prefer having the use of Siri available all the time. They are also saying the screen has a polarising filter for better use in direct sunlight, not sure as it’s pissing down outside now. Card capacity is 64gb.

To Summarise then BMW or garmin are not marketing this as a different unit to the previous 6 but it has a different interface display but still has the same menus if that makes sense. As for the screen and ghosting only time will tell. The hardware is version 10 if that is any help. It’s no xt that’s for sure but for me I love the use of the wheel to zoom in and out, especially when following a trail off road. If it proves to be free of ghosting I’ll be happy with it. So a mint nav 5 with case and sdcard with latest map update may soon be in the forsale section.

How much did the stealer sting you for?

I thought Nigel’s mate (in the know) had whispered to him that a new Nav VI was about to be launched? Send three and fourpence, we are going to a dance, maybe springs to mind. Apt, given Nigel’s Milli background.

From a good source @ BMW Motorrad today (17 April 2021), a BMW Navigator 7 is imminent ! Based on the XT.

It’ll be a damp squib if the VII is (and remains) a VI with just a soft or firmware tweak.

The odd thing about the rumours of a Nav VII, modelled on the XT, being released, is that BMW are also rumoured (stated as fact, on UKGSer) to be moving away entirely from physical GPS devices, in favour of phone and app based navigation, interlinked with the all singing and dancing TFT screens. The other odd thing is that I don’t think the XT’s case physically fits into the old BMW / Garmin mounts. If that is correct, then any new device BMW branded XT will either have to be cased differently from its sister..... or it will not be a retrofit, which will very much customers’ choice and ability to upgrade.... and doubtless cause many tears to be shed.

I think you are right Wapp with damp squid to be honest. The case seems the same, there is no topo option like the xt, it is basically the same unit as the previous one. If it cures the ghosting problem and proves to be reliable I’m happy enough. I think they have changed the icons and appearance to match the screen for those who have tft screens. I can’t see any other real difference to be honest.

I think this will be the last unit they make now like you say, moving away from units to apps etc like other manufacturers. I don’t think future models won’t come with nav prep.

is that BMW are also rumoured (stated as fact, on UKGSer) to be moving away entirely from physical GPS devices, in favour of phone and app based navigation, interlinked with the all singing and dancing TFT screens.

Bloke goes into BMW dealer and says, "My wife's Royal Enfield Meteor 350 which cost £3500 will give turn-by-turn directions on the instrument panel when linked to phone and your £20,000 fully kitted GSA requires a £600 GPS? Why?". BMW have answered on a postcard with the 1250RT - and the TFT is cheaper than dials - well it was until some scrote stole it!

Seems like this “new “ version then is just an updated software model ? Surely if it had been new would be a Nav7 .

Bloke goes into BMW dealer and says, "My wife's Royal Enfield Meteor 350 which cost £3500 will give turn-by-turn directions on the instrument panel when linked to phone and your £20,000 fully kitted GSA requires a £600 GPS? Why?". BMW have answered on a postcard with the 1250RT - and the TFT is cheaper than dials - well it was until some scrote stole it!

I think you may well be right.

Cheaper?

Bikermate one: The feckin’ penny pinching accountants in suits, feckin’ ripping us off again.

Bikermate two: Wait a minute, I thought you liked your full colour, interactive, TFT screen?

Bikermate one: Yeah, you got a point, mate. But it’s still a feckin’ rip-off, my mate says.

Seems like this “new “ version then is just an updated software model ? Surely if it had been new would be a Nav7 .

It’s done to confuse and to save BMW calling it the Navigator six and a half.

Sadly Nigel is no more, so we can’t dispatch him on a black op’s recce to rendezvous with his secret squirrel, need to know basis only, mate to scope out the deffo gen and intel.

The answer to that is buy the Enfield

Back
Top Bottom