Voice directions disappearing into a black hole (Connected app)

RSInterloper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In playing around trying to find a way to change the voice on the Connected app (BMW have not bothered to reply to my query so far) I have discovered that when the phone re-connects to the bike after e.g. stopping for petrol I no longer receive voice directions from the system. The only way I can get them back it would seem is by re-pairing everything, which is clearly not practical when out and about and is a right pita even at home.

I'm using an iPhone SE dedicated to the bike and a Sena SC1A comms system, which is built in to my helmet. The Sena only appears to want to bluetooth pair to the bike in "mobile phone paring" mode, which I assume is OK because it does appear to work. After a re-start both bluetooth and wifi will re-connect, as I have the maps. telephone etc - but no voice directions

Anyone else experiencing this, and more to the point managed to fix it?

Double check your headset isn’t pairing directly to the phone. I tell the phone ‘to forget’ it’s connection to my Sena, if you just disconnect as soon as the TFT looses the phone connection it re pairs directly back with your headset

I was having similar problems with phone pairing.

When the bike was serviced this week, they apparently updated the bike software. The latest version ends 007.

This is supposed to address these issues, although the techy did state that there is a compatibility conflict with iPhones

It's a 1250RT, software supposedly updated to the latest version 2 weeks ago. (I'll check the version next time I go out).

Using a dedicated iPhone which has no other connections, so cannot connect to the Sena directly.

TFT says that helmet and phone are connected, map is displayed and I can receive phone calls through it.

Thought I'd try deleting everything and starting again - now I get no voice directions at all (and yes they are turned on) - not even on the first connection as I did previously.

Wishing I'd kept my Nav 6 ........

The software version is 011_007_035

This morning I have achieved a partial success!

I've managed to change the voice that the instructions are given in, although I would not say that it was intuitive....

On iPhone go to Settings - Accessibility - Spoken Content (not something I've ever looked at as I have never needed these settings, fortunately)

The default setting for this in the UK is "Daniel"

I downloaded Serena from the choices available et voila! There she is giving me instructions!

BUT - I still have the problem that if I turn the bike off and then back on again (waiting a minimum of 30 secs), map mode restarts but the spoken instructions are no longer working.

Another test report - to check if it was a Sena problem I paired the bike with a BMW "Fit for All" comms system. Results are exactly the same - on initial start of route guidance I get voice directions. If I turn the bike off and then on again the voice directions no longer work.

The plot thickens - with the bike phone connected by bluetooth only (i.e. connected app not started) I can play music from the phone to the Sena using the Media menu on the TFT. At this point I can also get "arrow directions" with voice instructions via the Navigation menu. If I now start the connected app and let it connect, the music keeps playing and I can get voice directions as well.

At this point I turn the bike off, wait 30 secs and turn it back on. Everything re-connects but now there is no music and no voice directions. I call the bike phone from my "normal" mobile - the call appears on the TFT and I can hear it ringing on the Sena. If I stop the call without answering it I now have music playing and voice directions.....

It appears that somehow the incoming phone call has "kickstarted" the bluetooth audio connection between the bike phone and the bike :rolleyes:

Not a very practicable solution though......

Your problem will more than likely be the iphone. With Android there is a setting within the App Settings that allows the detection of the bike over bluetooth to start the app running automatically. I think that an iphone is too secure to allow this to happen.
Your headset, whatever make, should be paired to see the bike as a mobile phone or GPS as you have it it connected.

It might be easier to just ride your bike, without all this ‘I must be connected and entertained’ malarkey. Give it a go, you might just enjoy it.

I think I may have solved the problem (think because it's a garage test only - waiting for the hurricanes and monsoons to abate before venturing out on the road) - by deleting all pairings, resetting the network settings on the iPhone and re-pairing everything again. I've never had to reset the network settings on any other device connections but we shall see.

Oh - and I don't use it for any sort of entertainment - all I want is for the navigation to work properly. You of all people should appreciate that :aidan

Mine did the same this week. The whole connectivity malarkey for those with iphones is crap.

If you haven't already, have a look on the BMW LT Forum, there are quite comprehensive discussions around the RT TFT issues. There are also threads on 1200RT.com, think the same users are on both forums. I have a 1250RT blood bike that has just been delivered, I am going to investigate the connected app thing, downloaded it today. But for Nav I'm thinking I will just use Waze on my iPhone, with just instructions to the helmet. But will have a play. I have read all the threads and am not that hopeful :)

Back
Top Bottom