Picked up new GSA today, question about height

caferaca

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I joined this forum along time ago, but have only just got round to getting a GS. I bought a 2015 GSA today, and overal really impressed, it seems to defy physics with it handling.

On the test ride, one issue, it had a low seat on it, and I'm 6'2", so seemed ridiculously low. Got back to the dealer and a gs owner customer comfirmed the low seat.

So I bought the bike , and the went off the a local adv shop and bought a touratech bench high seat, which made a big difference. However the guy in the shop said it also looks like its been lowered or has the factory lowering kit, or whatever its called.

Is there a way of telling what I have, or should I just call bmw? Also if lowered from stock, is it a big deal to change back to standard? Even with the high seat I can still easily flat foot it.

Thanks for your help,
Rick

Hey guys,
I joined this forum along time ago, but have only just got round to getting a GS. I bought a 2015 GSA today, and overal really impressed, it seems to defy physics with it handling.

On the test ride, one issue, it had a low seat on it, and I'm 6'2", so seemed ridiculously low. Got back to the dealer and a gs owner customer comfirmed the low seat.

So I bought the bike , and the went off the a local adv shop and bought a touratech bench high seat, which made a big difference. However the guy in the shop said it also looks like its been lowered or has the factory lowering kit, or whatever its called.

Is there a way of telling what I have, or should I just call bmw? Also if lowered from stock, is it a big deal to change back to standard? Even with the high seat I can still easily flat foot it.

Thanks for your help,
Rick

Put the centrestand up and look at the LH side where it sits near the rear foot pegs

If it's near on touching its not a fcatory low,

https://www.webbikeworld.com/2014-bmw-r-1200-gs-adventure/

look at the picture from the LH side of the bike

this is a std height

If the gap between the centre stand and the peg is much more than in the picture - its a factory low

Search you Vin number in one of the online options checkers will confirm it also

X499A = factory low

If it is lowered, you can return it to stock

New Centre & side stand

New shocks F&R

and there may be one other but i allways forget

Thanks for the quick reply Santa.
Thats some great info, sadly I think I might have just bought a lowered bike :(

The centre stand up looks about an inch further away than the pic you linked, and I just looked up the VIN, and it shows 499, (not x499a) , and seems to relate to a car headrest, so not sure there.. all very strange

191 Dynamic Esa Dynamic Esa
192 Led-headlamp Led-scheinwerfer
202 Steptronic Steptronic
221 2-axle Self-leveling Suspension 2 Achs Niveauregulierung
224 Driving Mode Pro Fahrmodi Pro
230 Eu Specific Additional Equipment Eu Spezifische Zusatzumfaenge
233 Increased Towing Capacity Erhoehte Anhaengelast
235 Trailer-hitch With Removable Head Anhaengerkupplung,kopf Abnehmbar
272 Prep Navigation System Vorbereitung Navigationsgeraet
326 Rear Spoiler, Deletion Heckspoiler Entfall
350 Sa Auspuffanlage Verchromt Sa Auspuffanlage Verchromt
381 Roof In Body Colour Dach In Wagenfarbe
499 Headrests In Rear, Electric. Adjustable Kopfstuetzen Im Fond Elektrisch
519 Sa Htd Handles Sa Heizgriffe
530 Air Conditioning Klimaanlage
538 Cruise Control Temporegelung
562 . Auxiliary Headlights Zusatzscheinwerfer
590 Lt/aly Wheels/star Sp. 123 W Runflat Lm Raeder Sternsp.123 Mit Notlauf.
680 Sa Kofferhalter F.alukoffer Sa Kofferhalter F.alukoffer
736 Second Radio Remote Control Key 2. Funkfernbedienungsschluessel
773 Wood Trim Edelholzausfuehrung

another VIN site suggests its been lowered... bugger..

Other Equipment
X0191 Dynamic ESA
X0192 LED Headlight
X0202 Daytime Running Lights
X0221 On-Board Computer Pro
X0224 Driving Modes Pro
X0230 Comfort Package
X0233 Touring Package
X0235 Dynamic Package
X0272 Preparation, Navigation Unit
X0326 Speedometer Mph
X0350 Exhaust System, Chrome
X0381 Operating Instructions, English
X0499 Lowering
X0519 Heated Handlebar Grips
X0530 RDC
X0538 Cruise Control
X0562 Additional Headlight
X0590 Direction Indicator LED White
X0680 Case Holder, Aluminium Case
X0736 National Version Great Britain
X0773 Seat, Black

How was the bike advertised? If it's a factory lowered bike and they didn't advertise it as such you may have a case to reject it under the consumer rights act.

If you're not happy, talk to the dealer and see where you go from there.

Check out your paperwork that you got with the bike. It should say what you have. If your 6’2” a standard gsa would be more suitable. I’m 5’11” and didn’t struggle on a gsa. JJH

Thanks for the quick reply Santa.
Thats some great info, sadly I think I might have just bought a lowered bike :(

The centre stand up looks about an inch further away than the pic you linked, and I just looked up the VIN, and it shows 499, (not x499a) , and seems to relate to a car headrest, so not sure there.. all very strange

191 Dynamic Esa Dynamic Esa
192 Led-headlamp Led-scheinwerfer
202 Steptronic Steptronic
221 2-axle Self-leveling Suspension 2 Achs Niveauregulierung
224 Driving Mode Pro Fahrmodi Pro
230 Eu Specific Additional Equipment Eu Spezifische Zusatzumfaenge
233 Increased Towing Capacity Erhoehte Anhaengelast
235 Trailer-hitch With Removable Head Anhaengerkupplung,kopf Abnehmbar
272 Prep Navigation System Vorbereitung Navigationsgeraet
326 Rear Spoiler, Deletion Heckspoiler Entfall
350 Sa Auspuffanlage Verchromt Sa Auspuffanlage Verchromt
381 Roof In Body Colour Dach In Wagenfarbe
499 Headrests In Rear, Electric. Adjustable Kopfstuetzen Im Fond Elektrisch
519 Sa Htd Handles Sa Heizgriffe
530 Air Conditioning Klimaanlage
538 Cruise Control Temporegelung
562 . Auxiliary Headlights Zusatzscheinwerfer
590 Lt/aly Wheels/star Sp. 123 W Runflat Lm Raeder Sternsp.123 Mit Notlauf.
680 Sa Kofferhalter F.alukoffer Sa Kofferhalter F.alukoffer
736 Second Radio Remote Control Key 2. Funkfernbedienungsschluessel
773 Wood Trim Edelholzausfuehrung

Thats a cars data not a bike ;)

another VIN site suggests its been lowered... bugger..

Other Equipment
X0191 Dynamic ESA
X0192 LED Headlight
X0202 Daytime Running Lights
X0221 On-Board Computer Pro
X0224 Driving Modes Pro
X0230 Comfort Package
X0233 Touring Package
X0235 Dynamic Package
X0272 Preparation, Navigation Unit
X0326 Speedometer Mph
X0350 Exhaust System, Chrome
X0381 Operating Instructions, English
X0499 Lowering
X0519 Heated Handlebar Grips
X0530 RDC
X0538 Cruise Control
X0562 Additional Headlight
X0590 Direction Indicator LED White
X0680 Case Holder, Aluminium Case
X0736 National Version Great Britain
X0773 Seat, Black

Yup certainly looks like a lowered set up

Thanks for your input, yes I think first thing to do is contact the dealer (non-bmw) and ask to return it. Not sure what my rights are here but we'll see. cheers.

Thanks for your input, yes I think first thing to do is contact the dealer (non-bmw) and ask to return it. Not sure what my rights are here but we'll see. cheers.

If you took it for a test ride, I suspect your rights are limited to 'goodwill' only.

If you like the bike why not just return it to standard height? :nenau
You could then sell on the lowering parts to get some money back. :thumb2

To be honest, the seat to peg distance is identical on a lowered bike and a normal bike, only the suspension height changes so the ergos whilst riding are the same

At the end of the day it will be easier to paddle about etc with no disadvantage that I can think of:nenau

Just forget it and enjoy your new bike :thumb2

If you like the bike why not just return it to standard height? :nenau
You could then sell on the lowering parts to get some money back. :thumb2

Yes I've thought of that, but its alot of work I don't really want to do, though would be an excuse to 'upgrade' maybe. Still , front and rear shock, side stand and centre stand not cheap I imagine, even if I sell the lowered parts.

To be honest, the seat to peg distance is identical on a lowered bike and a normal bike, only the suspension height changes so the ergos whilst riding are the same

At the end of the day it will be easier to paddle about etc with no disadvantage that I can think of:nenau

Just forget it and enjoy your new bike :thumb2

Another good point, disadvantages would be ground clearance i suppose, which is only really relevant offroad? Which I'm not planning on doing really.

I just realised the esa 2 helmet setting raises the bike up. Not sure by how much by but could definitely feel the bike moving up. Not sure how else this affects the bike/ handling, but I'll ride it today and see i can live with it.

If anyones interested bike went back to today, no drama, case closed. Now on the look out for a std adv :)
Cheers, fellas

Of course we are interested. We do care.

Glad to hear you resolved the issue without any drama all though some on here were just settling in for a 40 pager :green gri:rob

Of course we are interested. We do care.

Glad to hear you resolved the issue without any drama all though some on here were just settling in for a 40 pager :green gri:rob

Haha, sorry to disappoint !

I think I've found a replacement, a 12k mile 2015 GSA TE at bahnstomer, looks very clean, 1 owner. No quickshifter / blipper though, not sure if thats important to me or not to be honest.
The past weekend with the GS I just sent back I found the gear changes with the quickshifter only really worked on full gas from 2>3>4>5>6. 1st to 2nd was quite violent to say the least. The blipper was quite nice though. I guess both are a 'nice to have'

One question about the gearbox in general, they seem very clunky. Neutral to first, and 1st to 2nd, then kind of gets smoother up the box. Is this just how they are? Assuming so.
Anyway I'm not put off and looking forward to getting my new bike :)
Cheers

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/9KFsVoq" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/9KFsVoq">GSA</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Haha, sorry to disappoint !

I think I've found a replacement, a 12k mile 2015 GSA TE at bahnstomer, looks very clean, 1 owner. No quickshifter / blipper though, not sure if thats important to me or not to be honest.
The past weekend with the GS I just sent back I found the gear changes with the quickshifter only really worked on full gas from 2>3>4>5>6. 1st to 2nd was quite violent to say the least. The blipper was quite nice though. I guess both are a 'nice to have'

One question about the gearbox in general, they seem very clunky. Neutral to first, and 1st to 2nd, then kind of gets smoother up the box. Is this just how they are? Assuming so.
Anyway I'm not put off and looking forward to getting my new bike :)
Cheers

Nice one. My 2016 GS had quite a clunky box like the one you demo'd so probably just the norm. The later bikes - 2017.5 on I believe had smoother boxes as I noticed an improvement on my 2018 GS. I'm guessing it's approved used so comes with a 2 year warranty? You could always get the GSAP retro fitted if that's important to you and the dealer might do you a decent price on one to seal the deal if you've not already signed.

Cheers, I pulled the trigger on the new bike, getting delivered next week, already spending too much on crap I don't need for it ;)

Back
Top Bottom