Givi Monokey top plate compatibility experts?

Max-GS12

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone here an expert in these things and compatibility? Essentially I want to mount the latest type Givi Outback Trekker top box on different bikes - using the aluminium Givi plate rather than plastic top plates.

Are these top plates all the same and it is only the fitting kit that is unique to each bike?

Not worried about the fitting kits but the plates comes up quite cheap on ebay but advertised as from a Ducati, Yamaha etc so would they all work the same?

The Givi website will tell you exactly what you need for a specific bike. If there isn’t one for your bike then a universal plastic plate might fit if you have an existing rack on your bike. I too would like an aluminium mounting plate but they don’t do one for my bike.

I have the 58 litre Outback top box, although i went for the black plastic plate (Givi M5 Monokey Top Plate), i nearly bought the aluminium one (Givi M9A Monokey Aluminium Top Plate)
both would have fit

Not concerned with the fitting kit (I've no problem to adapt the top plate to bolt to the OEM rack or whatever is needed) but the base of the box must be the same and therfore the sockets and studs on the top plate must be the same regardless of bike? If Givi are saying a specific top plate fits to each bike then that must only be on terms of bolt holes etc or shape to mount to OEM racks?

I've just put a Trekker Dolomite 30L case onto my existing (15 year old) black plastic Monokey plate with no problems. The fitting to individual bikes is obviously different but the box locking system is universal.

Anyone here an expert in these things and compatibility? Essentially I want to mount the latest type Givi Outback Trekker top box on different bikes - using the aluminium Givi plate rather than plastic top plates.

Are these top plates all the same and it is only the fitting kit that is unique to each bike?

Not worried about the fitting kits but the plates comes up quite cheap on ebay but advertised as from a Ducati, Yamaha etc so would they all work the same?

They are all different , if you check the front of the plates they can differ a great deal in shape and where the mounting holes are drilled as does the method of mounting.

As far as I am aware there is not the alloy plate equivalent of the universal monokey adapter plate

There are 2 Givi topbox mounting types, monokey and monolock. The trekker outback boxes use monokey.

As above. There are two types of universal fitting then specific mounting kits. I had my trekker fitted to my Africa Twin before my 1250gs. The mounting kit differs but the fittings that accept the box are the same.

As above. There are two types of universal fitting then specific mounting kits. I had my trekker fitted to my Africa Twin before my 1250gs. The mounting kit differs but the fittings that accept the box are the same.

The top alloy plates also vary there are numerous different sizes and shapes. All of the alloy plates are monokey

Any monokey plate will accept any monokey box.

The only difference to the plate would be shape of fitting to the bike.

As stated by several all the Monokey plates will fit all the Monokey boxes . The only thing you need to be aware of is that most of the fitting kits come without a plate & not all fitting kits will allow you to fit all of their different plates.

Also some kits , often for adventure bikes come come complete with a plate and you may only have the option for a nylon one in some instances or an aluminium only in some others.

Just check the website, but watch for the load ratings - IIRC the alloy plates are 6Kg, others are 10Kg.

It is possible to drill the alloy plates to suit your application. I had a Triumph fitted with a top plate. I found that whilst the Triumph luggage looks identical to the Givi stuff, they do not use the same location for the Toblerone shaped latch. It is offset by a few cm. I simply drilled a couple of holes in the plate an moved the wedge to suit my standard Monokey cases.

You could buy the fitting kit specifically for your bike and then buy an alloy plate designed for another bike. Next, drill holes to suit the fitting kit. The caveat being, depending on where the existing holes are located, you could weaken the strength of the plate.

Make your own plates. You can buy all the bits. Just add a 3mm aluminium sheet from Ebay and some time in the shed. Givi are open and had a nice parts list for their £100 plate for the R1200R. I suppose my plate cost £20 in parts and time in the shed. I've since made a similar pannier mount plate for my Triumph Scrambler 1200. It will wear a number for when the pannier is off.

Back
Top Bottom