R100GS PD Buying Advice

Mjhb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello Team,

I’m going to look at an R 100 GS PD next week, and can’t find anything resembling a buyers guide.

It’s a 1993 with just shy of 40,000 miles.

One owner, known history.

Any hints and tips on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Also any day to day quirks, improvement must-dos and thoughts from current owners ? I’ve seen comments about side stand replacement, and swapping the front break caliper with one from a K Series, for example ...

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s easy to fall into the trap of modifying a bike just because we can and why not, it might improve it? The advice I’d give to someone viewing a bike, perhaps of a type or model that you’re not experienced with, is to look for signs that it’s been loved and cared for, especially the mechanics. If I was looking for a a GS PD I’d not worry in the slightest about mods. The only one I’d definitely go for after purchase is an improved side stand. I’ve had airheads with all the mods under the sun but in truth they are lovely just as is.

Any pics to upload?

Hiya,

This one. Nice bike, nice patina. Starts and runs well. It has an aftermarket (believed Touratech) side stand ... the seller warned no switch/cut out so always check before riding off !

The seller is well-respected in the Ural community and was their UK importer until recently.

My heart said yes, but head said no as I have some niggling back injuries which are taking longer than expected to heal.

I struggled to get it onto the side stand, which is more a reflection of my own poor technique and strength than anything else !

My main concern was that if I dropped it I’d never get it back upright.

Just not the right time for me. Sadly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265161959998

782a1b24c0d6d39a820cea5891652e9d.jpg

It’s easy to fall into the trap of modifying a bike just because we can and why not, it might improve it? The advice I’d give to someone viewing a bike, perhaps of a type or model that you’re not experienced with, is to look for signs that it’s been loved and cared for, especially the mechanics. If I was looking for a a GS PD I’d not worry in the slightest about mods. The only one I’d definitely go for after purchase is an improved side stand. I’ve had airheads with all the mods under the sun but in truth they are lovely just as is.

Thanks Paul,

That proved to be excellent, invaluable advice. It had an aftermarket, believed Touratech, side stand but no ‘safety device’ to warn it was down.

I loved it, but head won over heart, sadly !

The bike looks good, low mileage and one owner.

The sidestand is a Migsel stand....... a vast improvement on the original, and a sensible modification.

Bubb

Easy to fit a side stand switch from a Jap bike into the neutral switch line. i found one with bullet connectors so not even any cutting.
This will let you start the bike in neutral on the side stand, but will cut the motor if you put it in gear with the stand down.
Cant remember the make/ break function but I was lucky enough to get the right one first up!
K Bike caliper not worth the trouble, II mm M/C from a Guzzi dealer easier and better.

There are three things I did to my GS PD that made a big difference. First was upgrade the front disc to 320mm rota. Second, after many months of unsuccessful attempts of getting the screen to be anything other than a device of the devil, I cut it down by 2/3rds - nice smooth airflow, some protection but making the bike long distance capable. The 3rd was upgrading the pathetic front light. Fourth was replacing the throttle springs with lighter ones to stop cramp in right wrist and allow the use of a go cruise throttle stop. Fifth, upgrade the regulator to boost supply to allow for heated jacket to go with OEM heated grips. You can buy one from Motorworks or by the same thing from a motor factors for half the price.

Many people do much more but I found the bike comfortable and capable over long distances out of the box with the above upgrades. In terms of stuff that goes wrong. The only real weak point for me was the shaft drive itself. Some do not last due to poor design and execution but plenty of solutions. Others have problems with the diode board but I never have...again more robust replacements are available.

After that it is condition and maintenance...the oil seal on the rear drive will go...about £80 to get fixed.

Back
Top Bottom