Converting Google Maps to GPX

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I have a route supplied to me in Google Maps and want to run it on my Tom Tom.

I've had a Google and as a result used the 'MAPS to GPX' website. The route is circular so it wouldn't have that, so, I changed the finish point to a few hundred yards away. MAPS to GPX was happy and created a GPX file for me that I uploaded to MyRoute and from there onto my TomTom. Both have a corrupted version of the route with it using different roads to that on Google Maps.

Any clues as to what I can do to transfer a Google Maps route successfully onto my Tom Tom please?

Andres

Stand down chaps!

I tried importing the conversion to Tom Tom's own MyDrive and it's worked perfectly, seems like it's a problem with MyRoute?

Andres

I've been having issues with MyRoute. I imported a route, created in Scenic from Henley to Hitchin that MyRoute turned into a 673 mile epic. And the MyRoute Navigation app on Android seems o be completely broken, it crashes when asked to perform any kind of navigation-related task.

My XT still works, luckily.

I've been having issues with MyRoute. I imported a route, created in Scenic from Henley to Hitchin that MyRoute turned into a 673 mile epic. And the MyRoute Navigation app on Android seems o be completely broken, it crashes when asked to perform any kind of navigation-related task.

My XT still works, luckily.

It's been getting increasingly glitchy recently, a shame as I really rated it when I first started using it.

Andres

Complain to the MyRoute app owners. Not fit for purpose, sale of goods act, by-bikers-for-bikers, small claims court, tooled-up posse, rip off and suits. Throw those in for deffo. I wonder if it’s going the same way as that other old bikermates’ favourite motorgolocco, or whatever it was called, that was all the rage?

I’ve logged a fault. The problem I see with all the apps is that no one wants to pay for them, cos it’s all free on the internet, so they start up, release an app with a nice UI, don’t make any money, support and updates go then
It’s all tits up and all the effort spent learning how it works is wasted.

I cite as evidence the popular blogger and world traveller Ms Itchy Boots. She’s given up apps for a Garmin XT as the apps didn’t do the job, and her iPhone kept overheating and the bike shook her camera to bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve logged a fault. The problem I see with all the apps is that no one wants to pay for them, cos it’s all free on the internet, so they start up, release an app with a nice UI, don’t make any money, support and updates go then

I cite as evidence the popular blogger and world traveller Ms Itchy Boots. She’s given up apps for a Garmin XT as the apps didn’t do the job, and her iPhone kept overheating and the bike shook her camera to bits

MyRoute is a subscription app isn’t it? At least I paid for it........

Andres

Yes, I think there’s a free version too. I paid for Gold, but it was cheap

Not sure about this statement re support / updates. I have the GOLD subscription , about 29 quid a year I think, and it looks the website is constantly being modified and improved with updates. Whether they are glitch free or not I only use the basic functions so cant comment .

Hope so, but as I said, Navigator doesn’t work at all at the moment, at least on my Android phone

I think Motogoloco went tits up when they reckoned Google were sticking their arm in regarding upping costs for use of their maps on the website?

I think Motogoloco went tits up when they reckoned Google were sticking their arm in regarding upping costs for use of their maps on the website?

Motogoloco closed its doors well before that.

MyMaps lost its ability to use Google maps cheaply a while ago. Berlin’s problems are all quite new.

App development is a dog eat dog world, very very few will make it through to then end, to potentially (and very very very) rarely make huge money, WhatsAp for example. To be honest, I have kept clear of most of them, simply because I have found - as Berin did - that the Garmin and BaseCamp (previously MapSource) combination is more than reliably good enough, guiding me with great accuracy over 100’s of thousands of miles. My phone, I keep in my pocket to use as a camera and, oddly enough, as a phone. Oh, and it’s a note book, a compass, ticket wallet, credit card, an email exchange, a diary, a library, a juke box; that’s all quite enough for me. Not least, I don’t go in for all the, “I need to be connected”, each time I ride my motorcycle. Nothing is so vital in my life that I need to hear about it then and there as I hoon to Tesco or up the Stelvio, nor do I need a music score provided by Abba or Black Sabbath whilst I do it.

Exactly that .....the founder, Dave , fantastic guy, owns the bike hotel in Moffat, he has things in the pipeline , so motogoloco 2 might be in its way .

App development is a dog eat dog world, very very few will make it through to then end, to potentially and very very rarely make huge money, .......................

That all said (and I don't disagree with you) MyRoute isn't really an app (yes it does have a smartphone interface), in my mind it is very much an alternative to BaseCamp, all be it not tied to a best selling GPS brand............and I suppose that brings us full circle to your point...........so I'm not really sure where I was going with that :D

A shame though as I've never been willing to give myself the head space to learn to use MapSource/Basecamp properly yet find MyRoute very powerful and intuitive to use......

Hopefully mine/Berin's issues are isolated and it's not indicative of anything more serious.

Andres

Exactly that .....the founder, Dave , fantastic guy, owns the bike hotel in Moffat, he has things in the pipeline , so motogoloco 2 might be in its way .

It’s a shame that Dave didn’t trouble himself to keep his fanboys up to speed. He just vanished. As for owning biker friendly hotels, that’s another matter entirely.

That all said (and I don't disagree with you) MyRoute isn't really an app (yes it does have a smartphone interface), in my mind it is very much an alternative to BaseCamp, all be it not tied to a best selling GPS brand............and I suppose that brings us full circle to your point...........so I'm not really sure where I was going with that :D

A shame though as I've never been willing to give myself the head space to learn to use MapSource/Basecamp properly yet find MyRoute very powerful and intuitive to use......

Hopefully mine/Berin's issues are isolated and it's not indicative of anything more serious.

Andres

Free your mind and the rest will follow.... as they say.

There is an issue with converting Google maps routes into GPX files for loading onto your device.

If you try the sites that used to do it you get the following or similar "Due to dramatic reductions in Google's quotas, you can no longer convert Google directions URLs unless you supply your own API key"
basicly the api is the request the site makes to use the google map information. as I understand it companies always had to pay to use the information but individual users did not, there are instructions on how to obtain a "free" api key
but it was a bit beyond me and it required me to supply payment information so that I could be billed if I went over the 1000 a day thats free, but didnt want to do that.

I used THIS web site Bowser, seemed to work fine AFAIK.

Andres

cheers for that, It was the site I was using however there is a new message

Update May 2021: Big thanks to all of you that sent me reports for the 429 Too Many Requests Error. Thanks to all your generous donations, I was able to pay for a service that solves the problem.

So that one at least is back up and running, it was not when I tried to use it 3 weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom