Buying new Adventure textiles- Recommendations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

About to purchase new textiles. Been out of the game a fair while and now looking for advice on what's great in all weather's.

Thanks all

My advice: go to a shop that stocks multiple brands and try stuff on in your budget. One brand's XL is another's L, arms vary in length, collars vary in bulkiness. Some come with full armour, some needs to buy separately. If you have old jackets, look to see if the armour is recyclable: I have 4 EN1621 level 2 back protectors and really do not need any more, so the last jacket I bought did not have one. Saves you £40.

Personally, I have settled on Rukka gear. The sizing seems consistent across the range and the arms are not too long. I am confident ordering online if I cannot find stock locally.

Waterproofing: decide if you want the more expensive, laminated stuff which will cost more as it is mostly real Goretex. Can you manage with a drop or Z liner arrangement, maybe in a different brand like Hipora or Shelltex? I settle in the middle and have one of the cheaper Rukka jackets with a Goretex Z liner.

Find a decent shop near you, like Infinity or Helmet City. Look at their website and make a short list. Ring them and ask them if they have stock in your estimated size. In the current environment, I would do this so they can put aside stuff for you to try and make an appointment. If you just drop in you might find some clothing is in a "decontamination area" after someone else tried it on.

As for brands: there is a recent thread on here extolling the virtues of Dane gear. I have been impressed with the Richa gloves I own and a Weise jacket, if looking for less expensive.

There is so much variety in textile kit these days that you really need to have some kind of criteria for what you want as well as a rough budget. One extreme to the other is the latest Klim Badlands Pro jacket, which is a GoreTex tri-laminate, is £1500; the Oxford Mondial jacket, a non-GoreTex laminate vented jacket, is £250. There is anything and everything in between.
Personally I like Rev’It kit. Good gear at a reasonable price.
I endorse the recommendation of going to a retailer with a variety of options at all price levels and trying stuff on. Folks on here will recommend stuff that they like and works for them. I am sure that it will be good gear, but if it doesn’t fit you properly it’s not going to work for you.

I have klim badlands goretex pro shell, were I buying now I probably wouldn't go with the pro shell, I would go with somthing lighter and a waterproof over jacket/trousers, now that may well be goretex and I like the klim one but to be honest any one that fits will do, I have a adventure spec lineman jacket and that is fantastic for everything except heavy rain, if they did the kit in my size then I would look at the adv spec Atacama stuff. Dont get me wrong the badlands is very waterproof and with the vents open its cool enough in the hot weather is just heavy and I really don't like the design.

Give the Wolf Titanium gear a look it is good quality , cheap, comes up true to size and is British made. Or have a look at the Richa Infinity Laminated stuff . That is highly recommended by the guys at Motolegends and both suits come in at between 400 & 500 quid
Note : Don't order the Richa stuff online as sizing is a bit weird. Infinity normally have both

Many thanks all. No specific budget in mind. Just keen to hear what people who actually use the stuff think.

Thank you for your replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom