Basecamp terminology in forums confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RikPing

Reaction score
I have a Nav 5 which I mainly use for navigation from A to B which works great. I recently started using Basecamp for more specific routes into my Nav 5, again great tool. My confusion began when researching various forums regarding going 'off route' due to diversions or just my desire to do so but then get back on the original inputted route. The terminology used is 'Waypoints' 'Via points' and 'Shaping points' It appears to me other forums also confuse the 3 different terms when providing their advice. So far I am happy using 'Waypoints' as main stops, and 'Shaping points' (either alert or not) to shape the route, all good. My confusion is when the term 'Via points' are used, it appears this term is used to describe both functionalities, or am I missing something obvious?

Not helped by the fact that Garmin themselves use different terms in Basecamp and on the Nav. I assume a vía point is a way point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I want to ride a planned route I switch off the recalculate route function. If I'm forced to leave the route I can then zoom out to find which roads to use to get back on route.

If I want to ride a planned route I switch off the recalculate route function. If I'm forced to leave the route I can then zoom out to find which roads to use to get back on route.

I do the same.

I usually have a number of Waypoints that I actually want to go through and a number of shaping points. If I go off route and the nav is trying to get me back to the shaping point which I know is before my next waypoint (as I have waypoints announced) I always have the skip option displayed on the screen and use that to skip the point or points and let the nav route me to the next point I know I want to go through. I hope this makes sense and I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, as my method requires that you have a rough Idea where you are and if it is to a waypoint or shaping point the nav is trying to take you. Still ocasionally get lost but you have acess to the waypoints on the nav you can route to the waypoint you want to go and take up your route again. Rarely have to do that though.

I assume a vía point is a way point. said:
An obvious assumption until you read a threads similar to 'I put Via points between Waypoints for my routing'? And as for Routing points and Location points..... the joys of Forums :nenau

I usually have a number of Waypoints that I actually want to go through and a number of shaping points. If I go off route and the nav is trying to get me back to the shaping point which I know is before my next waypoint (as I have waypoints announced) I always have the skip option displayed on the screen and use that to skip the point or points and let the nav route me to the next point I know I want to go through. I hope this makes sense and I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, as my method requires that you have a rough Idea where you are and if it is to a waypoint or shaping point the nav is trying to take you. Still ocasionally get lost but you have acess to the waypoints on the nav you can route to the waypoint you want to go and take up your route again. Rarely have to do that though.

Thanks Mzokk, I think I've now sussed that bit with trial and error. The thread is more about the confusing use of terminology in previous posts (both on here and other forums) that made it a tad confusing I used to get there!

Shaping Points, are unannounced electronic points, used to shape a route and pin it in place. Miss or pass through them at leisure.

Via Points, are announced electronic points, that you have told the dumb device you MUST pass through.

Waypoints, are announced electronic points, that have predetermined features. For example, a bank, a shop, a hotel, a viewpoint. There is a genetic list of them within BaseCamp and built into your GPS device or you can create your own. Again, the dumb device will insist you pass through the point.

See lots of threads on the subject and on route creation, recalculation and skipping points; some better than others.

Thanks All, should have just stuck to UKGSER threads, other forums can be full of bollocks with duff gen! The best thread was one Becksy started in 2016 and answered so informatively by Wapping and Leedude, Thanks all.

Thanks All, should have just stuck to UKGSER threads, other forums can be full of bollocks with duff gen! The best thread was one Becksy started in 2016 and answered so informatively by Wapping and Leedude, Thanks all.

Ah, 2016, the good old days.

If I want to ride a planned route I switch off the recalculate route function

Use just tracks in that case.
Or... one of the "tricks" I learnt over time is (when traveling long distance or more complex routing) to create a track from my planned route in Basecamp. Then send both the track and route on the sat nav and have both of them on the screen at the same time. With the latest software update you can make the track stroke larger. I found that coloring the track blue works well against the purple route as you get the purple route on the map* with a pretty visible 1 pixel blue border.
Easy to understand if the unit decided to recalculate the route and send you somewhere else, as track and route will diverge and you can easily sport that.

Al the rest: what Wapping said.

*I use the "top" view. Not 3D.

Shaping Points, are unannounced electronic points, used to shape a route and pin it in place. Miss or pass through them at leisure.

Via Points, are announced electronic points, that you have told the dumb device you MUST pass through.

Waypoints, are announced electronic points, that have predetermined features. For example, a bank, a shop, a hotel, a viewpoint. There is a genetic list of them within BaseCamp and built into your GPS device or you can create your own. Again, the dumb device will insist you pass through the point.

See lots of threads on the subject and on route creation, recalculation and skipping points; some better than others.

Helpful - thanks. :beerjug:

[so when I use the recalculate on the GPS, does it re-route including via points - or does it ignore those?] Fresh thread started:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ice-recalculate-a-route?p=6046359#post6046359

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom