A few K1600 questions?

snerkler

Reaction score
I've been contemplating an R1250GS/GSA and have test ridden both today, I loved the GSA but the handlebar/riding position put too much strain on my arms and shoulders and so was suggested the K1600 as an alternative. Yes they're completely different bikes but I have fibromyalgia and am just looking for something that I can ride in comfort (I currently have a Harley Road King but with the combo of the bad suspension and upright riding position it ruins my lower back).

So my questions are :-

1. Has anyone moved from a GSA to a K1600 and comment on arm position and comfort on the arms and shoulders, and if so which K1600?
2. How do you find the leg room? I found the GS a little cramped and the RT too cramped so it's a concern. I know you can get the bagger but I don't like that you can't change gear when using the footboards.
3. How do you find wind noise, again which model? Both the GS and GSA were unbearable at 70mph, and was a nuisance even at 40mph. I'm 6'4" and always find screens troublesome in terms of noise and prefer my Harley without the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

mmmm well yes i did, i chopped in my r1250gs exclusive for a two year old k1600gt with 1500 miles on it ,i went round the top end of scotland with it .
lets just say while the 1600 is a lovely bike i am going back to a r1250gs this week /next week .i am buying a new one triple black.
if your wanting a mint one bmw rybrook in wolverhampton will have mine back soon .its now got 2900miles on it now,and has a few expensive extras.
k1600gt rides fantastic ,has heated seats ,blah blah its like a rolls royce.
but the way i ride the gs fits me better,it handles round the bends ,but the k1600 is fantastic on good A roads.
is it just me i dont know i just have confidence in riding the gs

also the first thing i noticed about the k1600 it had a speed wobble over 90 mph,with the gt screen on it ,i put a touring screen on ,world of difference now its like being in the car now
seat has two positions ,a tad more cramped that a gs but not much ,handle bars are narrower on the k1600 ,but not really an issue .

here is a photo of mine,it now has the touring screen and a top box

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_102130.jpg
    IMG_20210423_102130.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 373
mmmm well yes i did, i chopped in my r1250gs exclusive for a two year old k1600gt with 1500 miles on it ,i went round the top end of scotland with it .
lets just say while the 1600 is a lovely bike i am going back to a r1250gs this week /next week .i am buying a new one triple black.
if your wanting a mint one bmw rybrook in wolverhampton will have mine back soon .its now got 2900miles on it now,and has a few expensive extras.
k1600gt rides fantastic ,has heated seats ,blah blah its like a rolls royce.
but the way i ride the gs fits me better,it handles round the bends ,but the k1600 is fantastic on good A roads.
is it just me i dont know i just have confidence in riding the gs

also the first thing i noticed about the k1600 it had a speed wobble over 90 mph,with the gt screen on it ,i put a touring screen on ,world of difference now its like being in the car now
seat has two positions ,a tad more cramped that a gs but not much ,handle bars are narrower on the k1600 ,but not really an issue .

Thanks very much, do you feel more pressure on the arms riding the GS than the K1600 or vice versa?

Thanks very much, do you feel more pressure on the arms riding the GS than the K1600 or vice versa?

i would say more wind pressure on my shoulders riding the gs as the screen is allot smaller/narrower ,the k1600 was like riding in a bubble ,but leg room on the gs was more roomy .for me the only thing i did not care much for on the k1600 was the fact it did not handle like a gs ,but everything else was more than perfect .

1. Has anyone moved from a GSA to a K1600 and comment on arm position and comfort on the arms and shoulders, and if so which K1600?
2. How do you find the leg room? I found the GS a little cramped and the RT too cramped so it's a concern. I know you can get the bagger but I don't like that you can't change gear when using the footboards.
3. How do you find wind noise, again which model? Both the GS and GSA were unbearable at 70mph, and was a nuisance even at 40mph. I'm 6'4" and always find screens troublesome in terms of noise and prefer my Harley without the screen.

Paging Wapping to the bat phone.
Wapping your services are needed :D

1. Yes. Three to date, from the earliest incarnation to the latest. Perfectly acceptable to me. But I am not you. Go and ride one.

2. See above.

3. I am six foot, you are not. See above.

Comfort on a bike is a very subjective thing as I'm sure you are aware. Have you tried a backrest on your Harley? I've had several touring Harleys over the years and I have found them to be the most comfortable bikes to ride for long days in the saddle but the feet forward, upright position needed a backrest to avoid lower back pain.

Back to your original question I'm fortunate enough to have a 1600 Grand America and a 1250 GS in my garage. I also spend a lot of time riding an RT. The K is by far the most comfortable bike of the 3 and a lot more roomy, especially with a pillion. Maybe the bars are too wide on the GS/GSA for you, K bars are much narrower, knee angle is reduced on the K as well. Footboards on the Bagger models aren't in the best place but at least you can stretch your legs occasionally. If you can tolerate looking through the Touring screen on the K you will avoid nearly all the wind with minimal buffeting, on the GS I go the other way and lower it, more wind but next to zero buffeting. The 1600's are bloody heavy to push around though later ones have a reverse, like many heavy bikes though once on the move you don't notice it.

Unless the roads are really tight and twisty I don't feel at too much of a disadvantage on a 1600 and can easily keep pace with mates on GS's etc, acceleration on a 16 is addictive and a lot of fun! But, I only really ride the K16 when I take a pillion, the GS is my go to bike for pretty much everything else.

You'll need to ride one to know if you'll be comfortable, but I'd try and improve your riding position on the Harley first, it'll certainly be cheaper than getting a new bike!!

Comfort on a bike is a very subjective thing as I'm sure you are aware. Have you tried a backrest on your Harley? I've had several touring Harleys over the years and I have found them to be the most comfortable bikes to ride for long days in the saddle but the feet forward, upright position needed a backrest to avoid lower back pain.

Back to your original question I'm fortunate enough to have a 1600 Grand America and a 1250 GS in my garage. I also spend a lot of time riding an RT. The K is by far the most comfortable bike of the 3 and a lot more roomy, especially with a pillion. Maybe the bars are too wide on the GS/GSA for you, K bars are much narrower, knee angle is reduced on the K as well. Footboards on the Bagger models aren't in the best place but at least you can stretch your legs occasionally. If you can tolerate looking through the Touring screen on the K you will avoid nearly all the wind with minimal buffeting, on the GS I go the other way and lower it, more wind but next to zero buffeting. The 1600's are bloody heavy to push around though later ones have a reverse, like many heavy bikes though once on the move you don't notice it.

Unless the roads are really tight and twisty I don't feel at too much of a disadvantage on a 1600 and can easily keep pace with mates on GS's etc, acceleration on a 16 is addictive and a lot of fun! But, I only really ride the K16 when I take a pillion, the GS is my go to bike for pretty much everything else.

You'll need to ride one to know if you'll be comfortable, but I'd try and improve your riding position on the Harley first, it'll certainly be cheaper than getting a new bike!!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know it’s all subjective but it’s nice to get opinions as sometimes something gets mentioned that I’d not thought about or something, and usually someone’s done a mod that might help.

I’ve tried all sorts on the Harley, tallboy seat, rider backrest, extended brake and gear shifter, standard screen, tall screen, screen spoiler. I just ride with the screen off now, much nicer air flow and much less noisy.

I tried the GS and GSA screens in every position and they were both far too noisy (and I wear earplugs). I thought about going down the smaller screen route but the GS screen was worse than the GSA screen so I’m not sure that’s be the right way to go for me with this bike.

The more cramped knee position on the K1600 would be less welcome but I guess it depends how bad it is. I briefly sat on the RT and that felt very cramped. There’s always peg lowering kits though.

I have to say I really liked the GSA, it made me realise just how bad the brakes and suspension are on the Harley, and how bad it corners. Sounds good though ;)

If it wasn’t for my wretched knackered old body I’d buy the GSA in a heartbeat. With regards to the handlebar width I’ve considered this too and you can actually buy a narrower bar, but again it’s a gamble.

From what you’re saying it sounds like the K1600 isn’t as agile as the GS/GSA? I guess that’s not too surprising, although on appearances you wouldn’t have thought the GSA would handle well.

Cost wise I’d be able to do a straight swap for a similar age and mileage bike which isn’t bad considering the BMW costs more new.

Thanks again for the info, certainly food for thought.

If it wasn’t for my wretched knackered old body....

How old are you? 80, 90? Older?

The K1600 GT with fuel and oil weighs 320 kg. It’s a big lump, obviously. By simple comparison, the R1250 GS weighs 249 kg with fuel and oil. A 71 kg difference.

Some bods struggle to get their GS off its side stand and / or onto its main stand. If you are one of these, when you take the 1600 out for its test ride to find out how comfortable you (as opposed to me or the bloke next door finds it) you might like to try pushing it around and / or lifting it off the side and main stands. Then try doing the same again, not in the dealership’s nice smooth forecourt but out on the road somewhere, where it’ll (hopefully)spend most of its time.

Lastly consider that, whilst it will hustle itself down the same roads as a GS / GSA (or any bike, really) will hustle down:

A. It is designed primarily with long distance touring in mind, straight out of the box. This might give you a clue as to how comfortable it is; though you’ll know for yourself when you’ve ridden it.

B. You don’t need to add bling or other shite to it, it weighs enough already. If you like adding bling, buy a different bike.

C. If you don’t intend to go long distance touring, you might wonder what you are going to do with it, each time you push, pull and lift 320 kg ..... you being wretched, knackered and old.

I’ve just gone the other way, k16 to gsa.
The k has less legroom,but still very comfortable.
Fitted bar risers to mine for a very relaxed ride.
The electric screen is excellent and on the highest setting actually pushes you forward at higher speeds.
I’m 6’ tall by the way.

I don’t buy into all the legroom stuff, per-se. When, on the wanders I arranged, I used to look in the mirrors to see bods on GS / GSA motorcycles doing all sorts of leg stretches, presumably because they are not comfortable. As much as anything else, it is ‘training’ your body to doing something it is not used to doing ie. sitting on a motorbike all day. How many posts do we read about from GS / GSA owners, saying, “I have to stop for a stretch after an hour”. That time period on French D roads translates to somewhere between 30 and 45 miles, at average speeds over a day.

How old are you? 80, 90? Older?

The K1600 GT with fuel and oil weighs 320 kg. It’s a big lump, obviously. By simple comparison, the R1250 GS weighs 249 kg with fuel and oil. A 71 kg difference.

Some bods struggle to get their GS off its side stand and / or onto its main stand. If you are one of these, when you take the 1600 out for its test ride to find out how comfortable you (as opposed to me or the bloke next door finds it) you might like to try pushing it around and / or lifting it off the side and main stands. Then try doing the same again, not in the dealership’s nice smooth forecourt but out on the road somewhere, where it’ll (hopefully)spend most of its time.

Lastly consider that, whilst it will hustle itself down the same roads as a GS / GSA (or any bike, really) will hustle down:

A. It is designed primarily with long distance touring in mind, straight out of the box. This might give you a clue as to how comfortable it is; though you’ll know for yourself when you’ve ridden it.

B. You don’t need to add bling or other shite to it, it weighs enough already. If you like adding bling, buy a different bike.

C. If you don’t intend to go long distance touring, you might wonder what you are going to do with it, each time you push, pull and lift 320 kg ..... you being wretched, knackered and old.
I'm actually only 44 (well I will be tomorrow) but unfortunately my fibromyalgia is the bane of my life and really interferes with my life, on a bad day even something as trivial as playing the piano is an issue. However, somewhat contradictory I'm actually very strong and am a very big 6'4" guy so lifting the bike off the side stand is not an issue, and I can muscle around most bikes (my Harley weighs 375kg).

Where the fibromyalgia affects me is in repetitive things or when my body's under a constant stress, such as sitting on a bike with constant pressure on my arms and shoulders. I get very frustrated with it because as I said I'm a big strong guy yet trivial things cause such an issue.

I appreciate no bike will be perfect for me, but I'm not prepared to give it up so I need to find the best compromise. The Harley is great for the arms, not so great for the low back and it hardly gets used as it doesn't see rain or damp roads. Plus the suspension is garbage and not good on Derbyshire roads.

I know there are options for the GSA such as risers and pullback bars, and even narrower bars but it's a gamble as there's nothing to say these will work for me.

I appreciate that it's a pretty unique 'dilemma' but if I can gain as much info as possible to help make a decision I'm sure that will help. Of course ultimately I will need to test ride for myself but there are things that living with a bike will tell you that a test ride won't :thumb2

I've been contemplating an R1250GS/GSA and have test ridden both today, I loved the GSA but the handlebar/riding position put too much strain on my arms and shoulders and so was suggested the K1600 as an alternative. Yes they're completely different bikes but I have fibromyalgia and am just looking for something that I can ride in comfort (I currently have a Harley Road King but with the combo of the bad suspension and upright riding position it ruins my lower back).

So my questions are :-

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a GS1250A and a K1600B Cant change gear when using footboards ? I never use them unless maybe on the motorway.
Wind noise on the gs no problems for me anyway. Both excellent bikes. Two up the girlfriend likes the K but also likes the gs.

I’ve just gone the other way, k16 to gsa.
The k has less legroom,but still very comfortable.
Fitted bar risers to mine for a very relaxed ride.
The electric screen is excellent and on the highest setting actually pushes you forward at higher speeds.
I’m 6’ tall by the way.
Thanks, especially the info regarding the screen

I don’t buy into all the legroom stuff, per-se. When, on the wanders I arranged, I used to look in the mirrors to see bods on GS / GSA motorcycles doing all sorts of leg stretches, presumably because they are not comfortable. As much as anything else, it is ‘training’ your body to doing something it is not used to doing ie. sitting on a motorbike all day. How many posts do we read about from GS / GSA owners, saying, “I have to stop for a stretch after an hour”. That time period on French D roads translates to somewhere between 30 and 45 miles, at average speeds over a day.
I agree, to an extent. No bike is all day comfortable, and you need to train your body to rider for longer. That being said there are some bikes that are just far too cramped. I only sat on the RT yesterday and instantly knew it was no good, too much hip and knee bend.

here is a photo of mine,it now has the touring screen and a top box

attachment.php

The top box has definitely fallen off or been stolen and it’s not too clear if the screen shown is the touring version or the standard one. Or is this a picture taken before both were fitted, rendering it of little value.

Whilst reasonably sharp in its quality (so it’s not one by Giles) the picture doesn’t do anything at all to answer the OP’s questions. Not least, did you come to today via GS / GSA ownership and, intimate questions in their comparative comfort (along with reference to year and model) and height.

The only way you’ll find out is to ride one.

Don’t borrow one for the usual, take it for 40 minutes ‘test ride’ drivel. Take it out all day or preferably over a weekend. They are an odd bike when you first get on them but then, to me at least, after a morning or so on various roads, they suddenly make sense. I was sometimes clicking up 22,000 miles a year on my first two, so I must have found them comfortable, I guess. There again, I also toured on an HP4 without too much grief.

I am never too sure what bods expect from riding a motorcycle, not least as it’s a personal thing. Try it. If you like it and think you can get on with it, great. Buy it. If you don’t, don’t. Or if you change your mind once the rose tinted view has faded, then kick yourself up the arse and sell it.

There is, or was, a very good one for sale in the forum just recently.

The only way you’ll find out is to ride one.

Don’t borrow one for the usual, take it for 40 minutes ‘test ride’ drivel. Take it out all day or preferably over a weekend. They are an odd bike when you first get on them but then, to me at least, after a morning or so on various roads, they suddenly make sense. I was sometimes clicking up 22,000 miles a year on my first two, so I must have found them comfortable, I guess. There again, I also toured on an HP4 without too much grief.

I am never too sure what bods expect from riding a motorcycle, not least as it’s a personal thing. Try it. If you like it and think you can get on with it, great. Buy it. If you don’t, don’t. Or if you change your mind once the rose tinted view has faded, then kick yourself up the arse and sell it.

There is, or was, a very good one for sale in the forum just recently.
Yep, that’s ultimately what I’m going to do (as in the test ride), I normally take them out for a few hours. My local dealership has started charing for the privilege though, cheeky buggers :mad:

Yep, that’s ultimately what I’m going to do (as in the test ride), I normally take them out for a few hours. My local dealership has started charing for the privilege though, cheeky buggers :mad:

I'd change dealership out of principle, it shit like this that makes my fucking teeth itch, unfortunately most will agree to paying for a test ride and that's exactly why they charge.

They're arrogant enough to think it's a "privilege" - like we the customer are doing them a favour??!!

I agree, to an extent. No bike is all day comfortable, and you need to train your body to rider for longer. That being said there are some bikes that are just far too cramped. I only sat on the RT yesterday and instantly knew it was no good, too much hip and knee bend.

Don't right the RTs' legroom off by having a quick sit. I'm a perfectly proportioned 6ft;), 61yrs old and have poor flexibility, my initial thoughts were the same as snerklers. In fact, after the first couple of 1hr+ rides, putting my feet down wasn't something I looked fwd to. Now after 2K miles I've got the seat on it's lowest setting and I've no problem at all.

I've noticed, as Wapping says, you do [can], adapt to the comfort side of things. This is noticeable every year as the amount of riding I do increases as the weather warms [in theory:eek:], in spring.

Back
Top Bottom