Travelling to Dent

Blacknbluex2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Towing a caravan, the wind at home is pretty bad, normal route for me getting North is A1 but it’s windy as hell this side of the country... typical eh 🙈
Can anyone along this route advise weather conditions if I went Brum Liverpool way
Obviously I will be driving steady but I don’t really want to be upside down either .
I’ve not towed a caravan that much so I’m just asking :thumby:
Cheers
Bnbx2

Attachments

• A8D00078-F037-4BDC-9F04-01D82B96BE06.jpg
    A8D00078-F037-4BDC-9F04-01D82B96BE06.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 323
Be careful of narrow bridges with tight bends if you come from the direction of the A1.

I use XCW weather and although gusty in Cambridge the further north up the A1 you get the lighter the winds fall, down to 3 to 5mph at Leeming bar where I turn off towards Hawes / Dent

Towing a caravan, the wind at home is pretty bad, normal route for me getting North is A1 but it’s windy as hell this side of the country... typical eh
Can anyone along this route advise weather conditions if I went Brum Liverpool way
Obviously I will be driving steady but I don’t really want to be upside down either .
I’ve not towed a caravan that much so I’m just asking :thumby:
Cheers
Bnbx2

Go up A1 to Bedale
Leave at J51
Take A684 to Leyburn and then onto Hawes
From Hawes go to Sedbergh
From Sedbergh take the road to Dent
Good approach from Sedbergh

Going across country to Brum and Manchester from The Fens is a bloody long way round
Go up the A1 & follow my route

If you decide on the M6....

The Thelwall viaduct on the M6 between J20 and J21 can be fun during high winds.
The motorway matrix signs will give prior warning if things get hairy.

Same for the Gathurst viaduct between J26 and J27 (only half the length of the Thelwall viaduct).

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 272
Go up A1 to Bedale
Leave at J51

Going across country to Brum and Manchester from The Fens is a bloody long way round

The trouble is It’s bloody windy this side until you get to Doncaster though
This is Grantham and it’s worse further south
My question is “ is towing a caravan in those wind speeds doable”

Attachments

• 62E1C48C-DC87-4DB8-8021-1C98E6389192.jpg
    62E1C48C-DC87-4DB8-8021-1C98E6389192.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 275

I have driven 15`9" curtainsiders, empty and in stronger winds, a caravan would be a piece of piss...It would be your nervousness that would cause any problems or any over reactive driving.

If you are looking for someone to tell you it will all be OK, then no one can make that call, it is up to you.

How you load the caravan is really important!

Keep the van slightly nose heavy, definitely not heavy at the rear! I learned that on a run back from Calais after loading up with booze on the way home from working in Dunkerque, 25 years ago!

If you are really worried? Get 8 x 25kg bags of gravel and set them on the floor over the axle and slightly forward of it Definitely NOT behind though and lay them flat on the floor not stacked (Low C of G)

Remove them at the event, put them back in after and drive home Sprinkle on driveway for a refresh of stones :thumby:

How you load the caravan is really important!

Keep the van slightly nose heavy, definitely not heavy at the rear! I learned that on a run back from Calais after loading up with booze on the way home from working in Dunkerque, 25 years ago!

If you are really worried? Get 8 x 25kg bags of gravel and set them on the floor over the axle and slightly forward of it Definitely NOT behind though and lay them flat on the floor not stacked (Low C of G)

Remove them at the event, put them back in after and drive home Sprinkle on driveway for a refresh of stones :thumby:

You have never lived until you have had the tail wagging the dog:D Best white knuckle ride you will ever have, especially in an artic:beerjug:

You have never lived until you have had the tail wagging the dog:D Best white knuckle ride you will ever have, especially in an artic:beerjug:

I will see your artic and raise you, a Rover 213 Van Den Plas with a 2 berth van on the back TOTALLY incorrectly loaded

All was good till I hit 40mph then all hell broke loose!! The couple of hundred Kg of wine and beer and sparkling stuff was all laid out nicely hidden in the toilet compartment on the bed or which was right at the blunt end!
The rear of the car was moving a bout 2 and a half to 3 feet off centre line I couldn't accelerate as it was pretty much maxed out with all the weight so had to resort to applying the brake as it hit the centre line and let go again as it went off line

A totally asspuckering effect, I can assure! If I recall correctly it was all dandy until a Renault Magnum passed me like I was stopped (The Cnut!!)

Once I trailed it all off the bed in the blankets and laid it flat over and in front of the axle It was fine

But in reality 300Kg extra weight was not a good idea for a 1300 Rover driving from Calais to Stranraer! :(

Go up A1 to Bedale
Leave at J51

I’ve just ridden up the A1 and am in Yorkshire now, JBs route sounds cock on and the wind isn’t too bad, just fecking wet.

Andres

Travel news on the BBC just now ���� lorry overturned near Peterborough on the A1 �� ��

Should be there in an hour ��
Come n say hello, don’t be shy, need a nice parking spot with you lot
Vw transporter & caravan ��

You're worrying too much. I've pulled my caravan in winds stronger than that. Stop fretting and drive the bloody thing :D

Back
Top Bottom