First ADV Bike 'Tour' and need some guidance on Luggage Rack(s)

GSCraig

Reaction score
So, scored 1st BMW last month ('06 R1200GS ABS), and doing BMW MOA Rally end of June... and I gotta pack some shite boysNgirls. We're only camping without cooking (other 'n coffee very 1st thing in am), but we'z camping. I pretty much got gear and am smart enough to watch videos to learn that I won't need to bring my Kitchen Sink and heavier stuff goes in the Pannier v. high up in the Tank Bag!!!

What I have little info on is this Whale Tail, Luggage Rack, Pillion Plate set

I AM SUPPOSED TO GET

on my Bike.

I've got a (Pillion) Plate to replace the passenger seat already (allows more straps). When I receive my "Luggage Plate" I call it, it will be some 18" x 13" to affix to my 2nd story, upper deck, or whatever we call that area where one might be tempted to attach a Top Box.

Can I attach to that Upper Deck and the sub-frame if I have holes in the right places on the Luggage Plate?

And am I correct to say that one would NOT want to anchor only to that 'plastic' (right?) Upper Deck on the Tail because it is not built for that weight?

And so ONE way to add an increased surface area for my 50/35L Dry Bags across my Tail is to attach a Luggage Plate even over and through this Upper Deck and to the Sub-Frame (effectively making this Upper Deck my 'Legs' to stand up my Luggage Plate?

I don't want to have to add one of those that look like it was on the back of someone's old Honda CB750 where it attached to the sub-frame from the side and then extends/floats out over & past the taillight for more 'Bags can be strapped here' surface area... looks solid but not aesthetically appealing. 'Also looks like it'd make wheelie-ing easier!!!

Anybody got tips on assembling this correctly. Part of me wants to delete entirely this Upper Deck though to replace it'd be impossible... no stock for my Bike if a manufacturer makes it at all. I'm really concerned I can accomplish all this before the trip as it sure ain't no bolt on what I've assembled for my Parts List now. I'm pretty creative but this is something to make sure I get right.

And I'll continue my research in this Forum... 'lotta helpful stuff here.
Thanks!

maybe post a couple pics of your bike as it is now, and the plate you have?

Figured... pics always hep!
I have to re-remember how to load up pics to Imgur so I can properly share some pictures.

'Won't happen 'til after work today, but it will.

I always say, if I want someone's help, it's on me to make it as easy as possible for them to do so!

Don't over think it. A roll bag on the rear rack. Tailpack or another roll bag on the rear seat. Get some throw over soft panniers if you don't have any fitted.
Tent In the one on the back. Everything else in the other bags. It'll be fine.

Don't over think it. A roll bag on the rear rack. Tailpack or another roll bag on the rear seat. Get some throw over soft panniers if you don't have any fitted.
Tent In the one on the back. Everything else in the other bags. It'll be fine.

HA!!! FUNNY YOU SAY THAT!

1st - I am an Over-Thinker generally,
2nd - Pannier lying around same size as ones being made for me for my Trip (at Happy-Trails... EXCELLENT CSR) was used JustLastNight to confirm I'm not over-packing and that, so far, everything fits. I made about a 75% effort and found that this AIN'T NO BIG DEAL.
Sure, you gotta know how to Camp but I've gotta PLENTY-A ROOM with a 50L and 35L Dry Bag, 2 9" wide Pannier, and little bags all over my Crash Pro Bars and Frame!!! I even got that cool 'Hornig' I think HandleBar Bag for those wet bandanas and the BIG OLE BUGS that sometimes feel like they are CRACKING your windscreen when they slime it like SOME can!!!

Wooo SSSAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTGdAGPDBpo

Tent, mat, sleeping bag and a few clothes. Does it really need some huge plan ?
Stuff the panniers, whatever is left over shove in a bag, strap on the bike and set off.

Have a pillion plate and usually have tent and bag with waterproofs on it. Top box has cooking stuff, stove pots/pans etc and small bit of food. Maybe a folder with needed paperwork (going abroad). One pannier has clothes shoes etc. Other has my sleeping bag/mat. Spare gloves and bike related gear. Thats it. If we are going for a longer break 4 weeks or more, then we have 2 bikes. Sue carries similar but adds camp chairs, small awning, waterproofs to her rear seat. Tank bags carry passports paperwork, phone etc. Picture is setting off for Norway 2015 5 weeks.:D

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 245
Just noticed you're american.
That explains all the palaver.

Don't forget to lube your clutch splines before setting off.

Tent, mat, sleeping bag and a few clothes. Does it really need some huge plan ?
Stuff the panniers, whatever is left over shove in a bag, strap on the bike and set off.

OMG!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

HHHHHUUUUUUUUGE PLAN BRUH!!!

Yeeeeerrrrrrrr the Guy that's always borrowing 'cause you done forgot!
Yer the Guy that tossesNturns trying to sleep because he forgot his Teddy Bear.
And when you get a HANGNAIL... YOU'RE DONE!
... Side of the Road waitin' on an Uber - DONE!
TOAST!
H!
no mas!
Fin!
THE END...

Of course I jest. You're ACTUALLY the DAMN guy that makes it look all TOO EASY encouraging others to TOTALLY underestimate what it takes to pull off 2800 miles with 8 nights of Camping (though it's cheat Camping... Set up Camp, BackOnBike to EatOut, back to Camp... only be makin' Coffee on this Trip) BIKE RALLY...

EVEN IF IT IS A BMW BIKE RALLY!!!

You should see my Lists... they'd wipe you out faster 'n a down hill decreasing radius off-camber turn in pebbles AT NIGHT IN THE RAIN!!!

LISTS FOR DAAAAAAYS BOYS...
THAT'S HOW IT GETS DONE BY THE ADVBike NOOB!

In case anyone missed it, this is my first Adventure Bike Tour, though we will do an OverNightShakeDownCampOut local to ensure everything is combat-effective before 'The Journey'

BEEN MAKIN' LISTS DAVEY B!!!

'Been water-proofing what needs to be,
Test Drove Tent with all the fixin's including 10 breaths blow up sleep pad smaller n' a loaf of bread packed... (tent too!),
Checked NEW Ride Gear (Klim, BMW, Klim, FOX, Sedici) for proper fitment, zipper function, and to LEARN HOW TO OPERATE ONE-A THESE NEW-FANGLED Tech Jackets,
Butane... CHECK (If I can't make and consume Coffee breaking down Camp, then my Rider buds will lose me on the next leg... on purpose,
and RESEARCHING my butt off to be able to buy the right things [like 1-man tent (Kelty), or Camp Chair (Joey)], the right things THAT WORK mind you!

Adding things to the Bike, too of course... farkles and necessaries...
Delete and Sell Varios Pannier/Rack,
Upper Protection Bars in addition to Lower and Heads,
Add LuggageRack/Pannier/PillionPlate/LuggagePlate,
MiniBags at Bar, 2 at Sub-Frame, 2 at Upper Pro Bar,
MONGO Tank Bag (it will help the WindScreen do it's work TOO methinks),
2 Larger Dry Bags on Luggage Rack,
Drive Lights, LED Tail, LED Headlight Bulbs, USB Outlets, Voltmeter, Q-D Battery Charge Wire,
Remove Bar Risers, Replace Mirrors (RAM),
Gorgeous WindScreen (wait 'til you see it... photos later of course; promise!)
Add Booster Plug with Brisk 3-Spark Spark Plugs,
Most Fluids changed,
All Suspension dialed in (BMW makes it SOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy in the OwnersManual),
GoPro Mount...
What else?

'Just tore her down for about 10D to get things done while continuing to work for 'The Man'... It'll be work, it'll be stressful (Some of these Motorcycle Parts Suppliers are REALLY struggling with Inventory... and China ain't helpin' none! I love tariffs on their ass but it's costing us, too!)... AND IT WILL BE FUN!!!

Now where's all my Lists I made...

MORE LATER; THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT BOYSnGIRLS!!!

Reading this has given me a headache. It’s like reading something written by a Tourette’s sufferer. Good luck with your trip though.

'Adventure Bike Trip' is just a bike trip. You're not cooking so I am presuming you will always be near to civilisation. What do you think hikers take on their self supported Pacific Crest Trail multi week walks, or those mountain biking (self supported) the Great Divide Ride in 2-10 weeks.
Go with what you believe you need. When you get home have a good look at what you didn't use/need and then decide whether you really needed to take those items.

Sounds to me like a coupla guys that have done this before...
No headaches for me... LOVE THIS SHITE!

Trip 2 (not yet planned) will be MUUUUUUCH easier!

Reading this has given me a headache. It’s like reading something written by a Tourette’s sufferer. Good luck with your trip though.

I've just seen the post. I think I've got a headache as well

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hey Everybody,

I'm here to 'chime in' on this Post and all I want to accomplish in taking this time to help another UKGSer is say,
'headache',
'over-thinking it',
'it's just camping',
'tourette's sufferer' and
'what do you think 'walking campers' do for supplies?'

AND EC-SPECIALLY the AH who says...

"... but I hope you have a good trip though" after taking the time to OFFER NO HELP other than to bag on me giving him a headache.

ALL YA'LL GRUMPS ON HERE CAN KISS MY GRITS!!!
AND IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ, DON'T READ THEN...

knuckleheads!

Geez, just tryin' to have a little fun with some like-minded individuals that are NOT LIKE-MINDED AT ALL,
NO MATTER WHAT THE F THEY RIDE OR HOW WELL THEY RIDE IT...
OR PACK IT!!!

So lighten up you funny muthers... 'cause some-a-youse is just being cuteNfunny.
Buy others are just being Ds.

YOU THINK I DONT KNOW I TALK/WRITE TOO MUCH!!!
... notice no ??? after that statemet above bc IT'S A RHETORICAL QUESTION YO!

... sheesh.

Okay, now let the flaming begin... I'm ready FOR ROUND 2!!!

'Adventure Bike Trip' is just a bike trip. You're not cooking so I am presuming you will always be near to civilisation. What do you think hikers take on their self supported Pacific Crest Trail multi week walks, or those mountain biking (self supported) the Great Divide Ride in 2-10 weeks.
Go with what you believe you need. When you get home have a good look at what you didn't use/need and then decide whether you really needed to take those items.

THIS is how you respond to a Thread/Post people... guy's frustrated a bit with me, too, DaveyB is... but it's bc he thinks I'm working too hard on this.
I CAN APPRECIATE THAT...
I KNOW I'M WORKING TOO HARD ON THIS!
But he cares to be kind and yet truthful instead of
a Butt and truthful.
And did anyone consider that I might be 'working too hard on this' bc I don't want to be a liability on a first time for me experience along with others who have their own responsibilities???

So perhaps over-thinking a thing is a respect for the others in my Ride/Camp Group...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for your help DaveyB... and (some) others.

Put a spot in your diary for Dent camping weekend next year, it’s a similar event but in UK and LHD bikes are very popular and work well on the local organised rideouts.
Suggest wear Aerostitch to cover all eventualities.

Back
Top Bottom