Everything we love...

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Maniak

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You fix a problem with the bike, you reassemble it properly. Insert the key, start it up and then another problem arises.

I just bought a 2002 1150GS with 35'000 miles on the clock and I wanted to take a little care of it before I put it back on the road. So I changed the sleeves of the wires fixed to the handlebar, all the brake hoses and connections for the fuel lines.

After reassembling everything, I have a strange noise in the engine, just like engine was hardly knocking:

and

Do you have any idea where it could come from?

Both spark plugs have a nice and strong blue spark and both injectors work.

Thanks for your help.

Do you mean in the black box under ABS unit?

If yes, is there a way to check/fix it without pulling the black box out?

I rather think he means this, quite common when the tank has been moved; look at the Right side of the bike.

Attachments

• C6FE072B-900F-45E5-9B56-78AC575FB9CE.jpeg
    C6FE072B-900F-45E5-9B56-78AC575FB9CE.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 384
  • A64C0576-2023-4039-A143-6C8C9BEFB5AC.jpeg
    A64C0576-2023-4039-A143-6C8C9BEFB5AC.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 390
OK, thanks for the photos. Well, unfortunately mine is well seated, so the issue remains.

Also sometimes if you have been generally buggering about starting and stopping the engine it will sound like shite once restarted as the injection has been running rich for cold start but hasn't got hot... All my oilheads have been reluctant to run smoothly after a quick start stop... Can be fairly random but if you hold the revs higher for a short while it will start to clear... A bit like a wet plug that needs to clear... Being a twin it can sound more dramatic than it is and being an oilhead you have to retune your mechanical sensitivity to tractor mode...
Hopefully yours is something like that...😉

You fix a problem with the bike, you reassemble it properly. Insert the key, start it up and then another problem arises.

Let’s go back to the beginning ... what was the initial problem ? The one you’ve supposedly ‘fixed’ ? ...

In fact I wasn't really fixing a problem. Just bought the bike, which was running well, put a new PC680, checked the spark plugs which were a little dark and changed the fuel connectors.

Then I saw that:

I decided to put some new sleeves and did a tool to disconnect all the wires from the connectors. After I've done pictures and wrote down cables position of course.

Looking closer I saw that the negative one got hot

So I decided to improve all connections

Sprayed the connectors and put everything back

Put the tank back also and when I started the bike, this strange noise appeared. I already started it 4 times, for a very short time, less than 10 seconds each.

What's a PC680?

If the fuel connectors were done are they the correct way around? Blocked? Pushed home? Which 'new' connectors did you use? Are the plugs the correct plug? Are they tightened properly?

Can see how the switch gear would do this? But electronics are not my friend

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What's a PC680?

If the fuel connectors were done are they the correct way around? Blocked? Pushed home? Which 'new' connectors did you use? Are the plugs the correct plug? Are they tightened properly?

Looks like new battery... Bit more messing with connectors than initially explained...

What's a PC680?

PC680 is Odyssey battery

New brass connectors come from Hornig

When pushed home, they are not leaking. If they were blocked or wrongly connected, bike wouldn't start at all I believe. Plugs are correct, well tightened. Compressions are good

Also sometimes if you have been generally buggering about starting and stopping the engine it will sound like shite once restarted as the injection has been running rich for cold start but hasn't got hot... All my oilheads have been reluctant to run smoothly after a quick start stop... Can be fairly random but if you hold the revs higher for a short while it will start to clear... A bit like a wet plug that needs to clear... Being a twin it can sound more dramatic than it is and being an oilhead you have to retune your mechanical sensitivity to tractor mode...
Hopefully yours is something like that...��

Didn't want to hurt it :duno

Was this ever sorted?

A real mix of info. Left me puzzled and interested in what the issue was!

Hum, not yet. I've been crossing the spark plug leads from the coil, no change. Crossing injectors, no change. Crossing spark plugs no change. I'm waiting for new plugs. Still rough running and the left cylinder is always heating much more than the right one. And for a long time says the left header colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom