Shorter version

daffyduck1962

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a decent GS TE with lowered seat height. Not common but I also see ads that say lowered frame.
Isn't this just a, smaller rear shock?
Is it possible to change the rear shock to a shorter spring to achieve the same effect?

Why don't you take a mosey over to SBW Motorrad in Welwyn and check out a GS with a low seat? If that is not low enough you can ask about the lowered frame version. Low shock at the rear and presumably the front and a new centre-stand.

Here we go again ;)

There is no low chassis, or low frame. anyone who tells you there is is a liar :)

Its a factory low option. Option code - X499A

Lowering is done via

30mm lowered front shock

30mm lowered rear shock

30mm lowered centre stand

30mm lowered side stand

And you have to have the active suspension, ( as thats how they give you the 30mm)

And a low seat (either std or comfort)

Things to note
Despite lowering the bike 30mm, they made it 60mm wider,

so the gains made lowering the bike are effectively lost as the arch required to get you feet down increased by 60mm so no real gain

You can buy an ultralow seat witch gives the 30mm back, but it's a firm to hard foam ;)

If someone can figure a way to scallop the seats you may gain the lost 30mm back

On the hexhead non esa, you could lower the bike 20mm with a low seat after that you needed to change shocks side & centre stand

If you have an inside leg of 28"-29" you wont flat foot it, one foot flat side with a slight lean or tiptoes to balls both sides

on a lowered hexhead (30mm WIlburs) i could comfortably get the balls to almost flat on both sides

Why don't you take a mosey over to SBW Motorrad in Welwyn and check out a GS with a low seat? If that is not low enough you can ask about the lowered frame version. Low shock at the rear and presumably the front and a new centre-stand.

There is no low frame ;) if there was, there would be a low engine as well :).

Its a factory low option shocks and both stands only available with esA

I happen to know this one has a low chassis, but the dealer probably doesn't know it. ;-)

It had a new engine at 29,000 miles.

https://www.triumph-oxford.co.uk/used-motorcycles/bmw/r1200-gs-te/74523.htm

No it has a std chassis,

For info - the engine bolts into the chassis to make a stressed component

if they made a "low" chassis , the geometry and fixings would no longer fit the std engine, so you would need a low or small engine to fit a low or small chassis :D

Its a std frame (chassis) and engine - lowering via springs & stands

No it has a std chassis,

For info - the engine bolts into the chassis to make a stressed component

if they made a "low" chassis , the geometry and fixings would no longer fit the std engine, so you would need a low or small engine to fit a low or small chassis :D

Its a std frame (chassis) and engine - lowering via springs & stands

Don't be such a pedant. :p

Back
Top Bottom