BMW Motorrad Nav V Routing Problems

transalper44

Reaction score
Help, I'm tearing my hair out...….Recently purchased a BMW Motorrad Nav V from a member on here. Have a Nav 1V which works fine but wanted the larger screen (careful of what you wish for)
The problem is when downloading routes to the Satnav V, Basecamp informs me that the routes have been recreated and recalculated because the map is not installed on the devise. (Both Basecamp and Nav V have the same maps installed 2021.30 and the avoidants are the same) On checking the satnav map review, the routes do not follow the planned ones, they're out by miles and miles. Doesn't inspire connivance planning long holiday routes here and overseas or even shorter ones. So, what is going wrong or what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Are these new routes created since you installed CN2021.3NTU for the Nav V or are they existing routes you created for the Nav IV? If the latter they will have been created with a different map which may well cause oddities. If it's the former then I'd start by comparing preferences betweenn Basecamp, the Nav IV and the Nav V.

Thought of that and went over the some of the routes again planned for the 1V using Basecamp in 2021.3 mod, downloaded it the Nav V with map 2121.3 installed and it still causes oddities by rerouting miles in a different directions. Much say, the V is not as user friendly as the IV, yes the screen larger and brighter but think those who design these things, have never sat let alone ridden a bike. They should be made to do route planning, than do 4 weeks riding to find how practical their designs are!

Thought of that and went over the some of the routes again planned for the 1V using Basecamp in 2021.3 mod, downloaded it the Nav V with map 2121.3 installed and it still causes oddities by rerouting miles in a different directions. Much say, the V is not as user friendly as the IV, yes the screen larger and brighter but think those who design these things, have never sat let alone ridden a bike. They should be made to do route planning, than do 4 weeks riding to find how practical their designs are!

The Nav V and Nav VI, along with their earlier brothers and sisters, right back to the Quest are perfectly good, functional navigational devices. The most modern ones (and even some of the earlier devices) are capable of running very long and complicated routes, faultlessly. The devices undergo a lot of testing in their Beta incarnations. There used to be quite an active member on this site who used to do some, riding around in Europe on his Pan European. What has probably spoilt the latest devices is that Garmin has listened to bikermates who have demanded that what was a simple (I use the term in its widest sense) GPS device become over bloated with entertainment and other functions, all to satisfy some overpowering desire to be ‘connected’ to the world, as the task of riding a motorcycle from A to B is just not involving enough.

We don’t know on which map version you created the old routes (those that you used on the Nav IV or earlier) but that probably doesn’t matter too much. Similarly, we don’t know anything about the routes you created, how many shaping, via or waypoints they might have, nor their complexity or length. Again, that probably doesn’t matter too much.

Try doing the following:

A. Clear the routes completely off your Nav V. Deleting routes fully is actually quite hard on modern devices; a safety measure introduced by Garmin to stop numpty bikermates deleting their routes and marooning themselves in Tesco, in floods of tears, 10 miles from home.

B. Make sure the full, up-to-date maps are fully installed on the device and active. Similarly, make sure its software is up-to-date.

C. Likewise, make sure BaseCamp is up-to-date.

D. Make sure the preference settings in BaseCamp match those on your device and visa-versa.

D. Select one of the routes you are having trouble with. Highlight it, Pick a spot and with the route shaping tool, drag the magenta line away, creating a shaping point onto another road. Then drag the shaping point back (or just hit undo) onto the correct road. Highlight the route again and hit recalculate. Suggesting the dragging out and back piece is probably an unnecessary extra stage, simply to guarantee a recalculation.

E. Send the recalculated route to your device. I’d give it a fresh name, just in case some vestige of the old route remains on your device and you select it by error.

What message now appears on your device this time? Does it still say something along the lines of: ‘This route was created in an earlier map. Would you like to recalculate?’

If you chose, yes.... what happens?

If you chose, no..... what happens?

Report back, please.

It is certainly not unusual to see a misfit between routes created on ‘old maps’ vs ‘new maps’. It is though rarely terminal. The good thing is that you have checked the route(s) before you rode away on a jaunt; many don’t bother.

Await your news.

:beerjug:

transalper44 do you have always match route to the map on my device box ticked in base camp. its under device transfer in options. its just a thought.

Hi. leedude. Sorry but I'm not following your drift, there's nothing there to suggest options(least not on my Basecamp) under device transfers ?

Just downloaded the problem route to my IV and in the review it follows the route exactly, where the V goes off planned route. saying, not the same maps on the devises, excuse me but they are ! Everything is ticked the same, same maps codes, same options, but each time I download to the V it reroutes!

Going back the IV, may have a smaller screen but least it does as it's told and I have faith in it, the V, well what can I say ?

Well, I have tried one more time. In the options under devise transfers, the dropdown panel giving all the Satnav's I have had in the past, click Satnav V click OK, download route for umpteen time and low and behold the route has stayed as planned in Nav V.
My new question is, how do i remove all the old Satnav's from the dropdown panel in the options box as it reverses back to the 55umo 550 even though clicking OK ? Bet your getting fed-up with me now lol . Thanks again for all your help.

When using a pc with basecamp up to date you should see this screen, its the box that has a tick in it

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 259
Well, I have tried one more time. In the options under devise transfers, the dropdown panel giving all the Satnav's I have had in the past, click Satnav V click OK, download route for umpteen time and low and behold the route has stayed as planned in Nav V.
My new question is, how do i remove all the old Satnav's from the dropdown panel in the options box as it reverses back to the 55umo 550 even though clicking OK ? Bet your getting fed-up with me now lol . Thanks again for all your help.

Do these old devices still appear in Garmin Express? If so, delete them. Then try again.

No, they don't but are in the dropdown list in edit options headed Device transfer, all the old devises are listed, click on Satnav V, press ok. hey pesto, next time you look, it's been shelved and the old one is back (Zumo550). Can't figure out how to return them, you any idea's ? !

Where may I find "WIN Registry" in my PC ?

I appreciate that this reply may be patronising but if you have to ask the question the answer won't help you. The Windows Registry is where Windows itself and many applications store the data that they need to work. Editing the registry is possible with Regedit, which comes with Windows but it's a lot like brain surgery on a conscious patient. Get it wrong and potentially Windows stops running until you reinstall it.

Back
Top Bottom