New Zumo XT, Basecamp, Express and copying maps

I am so pleased I haven’t bought an XT, simply because it won’t fit onto my 1600.

Yes, there are other (numerous) alternative pieces of software and app’s that will create and / or plot routes. Some will require an internet connection, which can be flakey. On the other side of the same coin, some of the software and app’s come with their own idiosyncrasies and, as is the case with MyRoute just recently, their own problems.

The underlying truth is maybe that the phone companies (whether that be Apple or their android rivals) have effectively smashed the dedicated GPS device market, with punters buying into their version of a ‘connected’ world. Don’t get me wrong, I like my Apple phone, its integration with my other Apple devices and Mac, I also like its camera and the way it does become a mobile office. What I don’t like is using it as navigation device. Should I just want to use it like some shonky Uber driver uses Waze, then it would be fine. Similarly, if I wanted to follow MyRoute or Kurviger’s or Google map’s generated routes, that would be fine, too. Similarly, I have no pressing desire to be ‘connected’ to anything (except the seat of my pants and the road) whilst hooning from A to B. So, long live the dedicated GPS unit, hopefully stripped of all the ‘must have’ bells and whistles.

I concur and hope my Zumo 390 keeps on going for ever. Even the soon to be discontinued 396 has far too many bells and whistles. Cheap though, with refurbed units for a little over £200.

I'm with you. Having wanted a way to get tracks and routes into a Garmin device without BaseCamp, now it's there it is, in fact, shite.

The XT uses 2 apps, Garmin Explore and Garmin Drive. Garmin explore is shite. If you connect your XT to it it buggers up track management, and it's useless for creating routes since it uses OSM maps. Drive is OK, since you can use it to send a route to your device that you've authored elsewhere or downloaded, but then the XT recalculates it anyway. Also it doesn't work at all on occasion, so if you're relying on it don't. Also, the XT connects to wifi or your phone and updates itself, all very well unless it's an update like the one before last which disabled routing for OSM maps, which is a bugger if you're away and relying on them.

The Montana 700 also uses 2 apps, Explore and Connect. Connect is a shite health and fitness app, and it wants to know how fat you are and how many steps you took today. It collects this nonsense and uploads it to the Connect website, and there's no way to turn that off, except by stopping the app. Explore is still shite, but at least the track manager function via Explore is OK though if you're not careful it will delete your tracks from the device. So it is shite, really.

All we want is, to be able to send a route or track, from somewhere else, to the device and for the device not go, oh, I see where that route goes, but it looks shite to me so I'll recalculate it so you go down the motorway or into a housing estate.. I don't want it to measure how far I've run or my heart rate or whether I've missed my calories burned target, or chat to other health measuring twats on a leader board, or any other shite. I don't need it to show weather, which it can do but only if it's connected to your phone, which I can look the weather up on anyway. I don't need traffic information because I'm on a motorbike.

Apart from that, the Montana and the XT are quite good:comfort

I am so pleased I haven’t bought an XT, simply because it won’t fit onto my 1600.

Yes, there are other (numerous) alternative pieces of software and app’s that will create and / or plot routes. Some will require an internet connection, which can be flakey. On the other side of the same coin, some of the software and app’s come with their own idiosyncrasies and, as is the case with MyRoute just recently, their own problems.

The underlying truth is maybe that the phone companies (whether that be Apple or their android rivals) have effectively smashed the dedicated GPS device market, with punters buying into their version of a ‘connected’ world. Don’t get me wrong, I like my Apple phone, its integration with my other Apple devices and Mac, I also like its camera and the way it does become a mobile office. What I don’t like is using it as navigation device. Should I just want to use it like some shonky Uber driver uses Waze, then it would be fine. Similarly, if I wanted to follow MyRoute or Kurviger’s or Google map’s generated routes, that would be fine, too. Similarly, I have no pressing desire to be ‘connected’ to anything (except the seat of my pants and the road) whilst hooning from A to B. So, long live the dedicated GPS unit, hopefully stripped of all the ‘must have’ bells and whistles.

A method of having the maps onto your PC without connecting the XT is here: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1248 you might need to register to see the post.

Alternatively having another Garmin GPS that has the NTU maps allows you to have the mapping on the PC, my Nuvi 2597 is one that does this.

Last edited:
I'm with you. Having wanted a way to get tracks and routes into a Garmin device without BaseCamp, now it's there it is, in fact, shite.

The XT uses 2 apps, Garmin Explore and Garmin Drive. Garmin explore is shite. If you connect your XT to it it buggers up track management, and it's useless for creating routes since it uses OSM maps. Drive is OK, since you can use it to send a route to your device that you've authored elsewhere or downloaded, but then the XT recalculates it anyway. Also it doesn't work at all on occasion, so if you're relying on it don't. Also, the XT connects to wifi or your phone and updates itself, all very well unless it's an update like the one before last which disabled routing for OSM maps, which is a bugger if you're away and relying on them.

The Montana 700 also uses 2 apps, Explore and Connect. Connect is a shite health and fitness app, and it wants to know how fat you are and how many steps you took today. It collects this nonsense and uploads it to the Connect website, and there's no way to turn that off, except by stopping the app. Explore is still shite, but at least the track manager function via Explore is OK though if you're not careful it will delete your tracks from the device. So it is shite, really.

All we want is, to be able to send a route or track, from somewhere else, to the device and for the device not go, oh, I see where that route goes, but it looks shite to me so I'll recalculate it so you go down the motorway or into a housing estate.. I don't want it to measure how far I've run or my heart rate or whether I've missed my calories burned target, or chat to other health measuring twats on a leader board, or any other shite. I don't need it to show weather, which it can do but only if it's connected to your phone, which I can look the weather up on anyway. I don't need traffic information because I'm on a motorbike.

Apart from that, the Montana and the XT are quite good:comfort

So really
What you are saying is just purchase one of those rugged android phones and use the TET app to download the routes to it and navigate from there, to ride the TET routes off-road

So really
What you are saying is just purchase one of those rugged android phones and use the TET app to download the routes to it and navigate from there, to ride the TET routes off-road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won’t that work?

Enlighten me ...

Sorry, I thought you may have read the other thread where I did a review of almost every phone navigation app, in comparison with Garmin and were therefore having a laugh.

I gave all a pretty good go, and for a variety of reasons from the phones themselves that overheat or the touch screens operate themselves in the rain or not at all, etc etc, to the fact that the apps themselves with any reasonable capabilities are permanently under construction, and the others are too basic.

So I concluded Garmin and Basecamp was the still the best. XT for road, Montana 700i for trails and dual sport.

Sorry, I thought you may have read the other thread where I did a review of almost every phone navigation app, in comparison with Garmin and were therefore having a laugh.

I gave all a pretty good go, and for a variety of reasons from the phones themselves that overheat or the touch screens operate themselves in the rain or not at all, etc etc, to the fact that the apps themselves with any reasonable capabilities are permanently under construction, and the others are too basic.

So I concluded Garmin and Basecamp was the still the best. XT for road, Montana 700i for trails and dual sport.

Thanks

Seems like the new Express update fixes the non-downloadable maps bug?

Haven't got my XT back yet :anger: to be able to test.

Maps install failed ...........................:blast

Edit:
and now success - there is a new item called mapinstall appeared after updating express that once run - all seems good

Seems like the new Express update fixes the non-downloadable maps bug?

Haven't got my XT back yet :anger: to be able to test.

Unfortunately it hasn't, typical Garmin - Express throws up an error message say that the map data has not been installed correctly. Basecamp states that there are 'unlocked' maps installed.

It never ceases to amaze me how incompetent Garmin are, releasing such 'buggy' software.

I have not had a chance to contact Garmin yet.

Last edited:
Just been on the phone to Garmin support for 19 minutes - they are looking into it!

Maps install failed ...........................:blast

Edit:
and now success - there is a new item called mapinstall appeared after updating express that once run - all seems good

Unfortunately it hasn't, typical Garmin - Express throws up an error message say that the map data has not been installed correctly. Basecamp states that there are 'unlocked' maps installed.

It never ceases to amaze me how incompetent Garmin are, releasing such 'buggy' software.

I have not had a chance to contact Garmin yet.

Just been on the phone to Garmin support for 19 minutes - they are looking into it!

Two versions of one story. One bod has got it to work, the other hasn’t.

Talking to other people on another forum, same topic.
Feedback from the users there: maps get installed locally, but there is an error in the map “authorization”. So the maps are copied on the computer, but you cannot use them.

Same feedback on Garmin support forum.

Apparently Garmin is working on this bug they introduced to fix the other bug.

Just received my Zumo XT as a a replacement for my faulty Zumo 340 . I was intending on following Richards advice to get To know basecamp better and now I read this thread which seems to suggest I will be wasting my time. It looks like the best option , for me , will be to use google maps , click and drag the route to meet my needs / wants and then send to device. :(

Just wait for Garmin to fix the glitch, which only seems to revolve around a temporary inability to load the maps onto a home computer, independently of the device. In other words, an inability to use BaseCamp’s full maps, if the XT is not connected.

Nobody seems to have said that BaseCamp will not fire up the maps if the XT is connected.

Or you can just accept that BaseCamp is shite….. as you read it on UKGSer…… where you can also read Berin’s reviews, the upshot of which was that BaseCamp is actually pretty good. The choice as ever is yours.

Back
Top Bottom