New Zumo XT, Basecamp, Express and copying maps

Talking to other people on another forum, same topic.
Feedback from the users there: maps get installed locally, but there is an error in the map “authorization”. So the maps are copied on the computer, but you cannot use them.

Same feedback on Garmin support forum.

Apparently Garmin is working on this bug they introduced to fix the other bug.

I had the authorization messages come up -
with my XT plugged in I just clicked on a pop up window about allowing or authorizing and all then worked

Everyhting is 100% working at my end wiht my XT and Basecamp now
maps are on my PC
no need to have the XT connected to use

Just wait for Garmin to fix the glitch, which only seems to revolve around a temporary inability to load the maps onto a home computer, independently of the device. In other words, an inability to use BaseCamp’s full maps, if the XT is not connected.

Nobody seems to have said that BaseCamp will not fire up the maps if the XT is connected.

Or you can just accept that BaseCamp is shite….. as you read it on UKGSer…… where you can also read Berin’s reviews, the upshot of which was that BaseCamp is actually pretty good. The choice as ever is yours.

Don’t give me choices , just tell me what I should do oh wise one ;)

BaseCamp is your friend. Watch a few of the tutorials. It’s dead easy, once you get the hang of it.

Two versions of one story. One bod has got it to work, the other hasn’t.

Worked for me, maps on both device and computer are fine. But, Basecamp can't read CN maps from the XT.

"Valid chart product not found"

Does it matter that BaseCamp cannot read the maps on the XT, if the maps match? I think it is tedious that the maps get dragged across each time a device is connected.

Does it matter that BaseCamp cannon read the maps on the XT, if the maps match? I think it is tedious that the maps get dragged across each time a device is connected.

odd how certain words come to mind when discussing Garmin and Basecamp

Does it matter that BaseCamp cannot read the maps on the XT, if the maps match? I think it is tedious that the maps get dragged across each time a device is connected.

It does load the all the maps from the device, including the Topo maps, but the CN maps can't be viewed in Basecamp. It doesn't really matter, since the maps are now installed on the computer but it does upset my OCD that in the maps list on the left hand window it has the map loaded with "unverified product" next to it.

Yes, common solution I see people adopting is using another device to download the maps.

To add to what Wapping wrote above, apart from having to faff about with cables and all (that wouldn't be a massive issue) on more recent versions of MacOS using maps on a tethered device is extremely slow even when using USB3, and doesn't seem to work properly.
I posted a couple of videos on another thread in here. I also voiced my concern on the Garmin Support forums (I tried to be as polite as possible but at the time of posting I was livid), no response.

https://forums.garmin.com/apps-soft...from-zumo-xt-unusable-what-is-garmin-response

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BoJxAH45AeM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We're not talking a ton of money, but still, 4/500 quid are gone into a device that – at present – doesn't work.
I'm awaiting to receive my replacement unit (got replaced for some unrelated issue: it would "loop" on and off at startup) to test again and see if I can find a solution. But patience is wearing thin.

Funnily enough: Basecamp with my old GPSmap 60csx seems to be still working fine, despite all the limitations of the old device.

I was advised by Garmin yesterday replacements are 8 weeks away.

When I returned my zumo they told me up to ~15 days for a replacement to be shipped.
I shipped it on the 13th of May, they acknowledged receipt on the 18th.
Order status says that no replacement has been shipped yet.

from the support transcript:
have successfully booked your Garmin device in to be replaced under Order XXXXXXXXXXXXX and you will receive an email from Garmin with a secure link to complete this which will be valid for 30 days. You will be able to review the order via this link and enter your shipping information.

Once the link has been completed, you will receive an email with steps on how to return your Garmin product. Please make sure this email is read in full as it contains important information.

Note: Currently due to Covid, we have placed a quarantine on all inbound devices for 3 days, this has increased our time frame on replacements to 5-10 working days, we do appreciate your patience with this.

Let's wait and see.

I'm also kind of sure that the issue my XT had was firmware related as it never happened before the update... so maybe another firmware update could have fixed it, but I didn't want to risk and they suggested replacement.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oSzG72AG3fo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It does load the all the maps from the device, including the Topo maps, but the CN maps can't be viewed in Basecamp. It doesn't really matter, since the maps are now installed on the computer but it does upset my OCD that in the maps list on the left hand window it has the map loaded with "unverified product" next to it.

Indeed, once the maps are on the computer and active, then the purpose of them ever being dragged across from device to computer is irrelevant, other than it fixes a problem where bods have different maps installed on the computer and on the device or indeed, no maps on the computer at all. But there again, that requires the bod selecting the device’s map set in the first place.

I can well understand that ‘unverified product’ is annoying. I guess it’s because the computer does’ the realise it’s a legitimate unlocked copy. There again, the purpose of the computer dragging a device’s maps across into a temporary folder was to ensure that only unlocked maps were used. Funny old world

It's a bug - the CN maps on the XT did used to be readable by BC, but I think in fixing the installed maps thing they introduced the new bug. I blame Covid, and having to have developers work from home. Developers are lazy and feckless and sit around in their pants drinking energy drinks and playing Doom, then make up some stuff in a mad rush ignoring any design specs if they're not made to go to the office and work together.

Indeed, once the maps are on the computer and active, then the purpose of them ever being dragged across from device to computer is irrelevant, other than it fixes a problem where bods have different maps installed on the computer and on the device or indeed, no maps on the computer at all. But there again, that requires the bod selecting the device’s map set in the first place.

I can well understand that ‘unverified product’ is annoying. I guess it’s because the computer does’ the realise it’s a legitimate unlocked copy. There again, the purpose of the computer dragging a device’s maps across into a temporary folder was to ensure that only unlocked maps were used. Funny old world

still having a problem with this

Still having a problem transferring maps from xt to windows 10 basecamp. Gamin express and basecamp uninstalled and reloaded so latest versions. garmin express says map install failed. when using basecamp map install i get a window which shows the europe maps downloaded but locked. But when clicking on the unlock button it takes me to the next screen 'map product manager' which has no facility to unlock . It shows the map as locked but the only button is to close. unlock region tab at the top has no data. if I press on 'add' in unlock region it askes for an unlock code, but there are no regions listed. any similar experiences or ideas. everything works fine in basecamp with XT plugged in selecting XT's maps but it wont install it into basecamp.

Still having a problem transferring maps from xt to windows 10 basecamp. Gamin express and basecamp uninstalled and reloaded so latest versions. garmin express says map install failed. when using basecamp map install i get a window which shows the europe maps downloaded but locked. But when clicking on the unlock button it takes me to the next screen 'map product manager' which has no facility to unlock . It shows the map as locked but the only button is to close. unlock region tab at the top has no data. if I press on 'add' in unlock region it askes for an unlock code, but there are no regions listed. any similar experiences or ideas. everything works fine in basecamp with XT plugged in selecting XT's maps but it wont install it into basecamp.

To install a map to basecamp requires a separate download to your computer, it doesn’t install/copy from your XT.

You install the maps using Garmin Express, and installing maps requires you to have your XT connected to the computer.

In GE, click the icon for your XT.

Click “map details”

Click “options” under Full Coverage of Europe 2022.1

Click “install to computer”

Once that’s done open Basecamp and your maps will be there.

Note that only the CityNav maps will install to computer, not the iOverlander or TopoActive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Berin I have done just what you describe before and after uninstalling and re installing basecamp and gaming express. Trouble is that as before in this topic the maps transferred from the xt to basecamp seemed to be locked

Thanks Berin I have done just what you describe before and after uninstalling and re installing basecamp and gaming express. Trouble is that as before in this topic the maps transferred from the xt to basecamp seemed to be locked

Have you updated the firmware on the XT? I seem to recall there was a problem with maps appearing locked on an earlier version of firmware.

When you say “maps transferred from the XT” can you clarify? If the XT is plugged in to the PC then basecamp will try to read them, direct from the XT. They are not transferred, as such, rather read directly from the device. I think it was this that caused a problem with old firmware.

If the maps are installed on the pc you should be able to view them without the XT being plugged into the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean when I go through the install maps to computer routine in garmin express it does a the downloading from the xt but when I check map install from basecamp they are locked. No problem reading maps and using basecamp when xt plugged in. I have updated the xt. Everything seems as people earlier in thread managed to do but instead of being able to unlock the maps after installation I can't see how to do this

I have a similar problem that 3 different GPS's can't get the maps downloaded and unlocked. Strangely it's not on the laptop I usually use, which works as expected, so I'm wondering if it's administrator rights, or, Garmin now stop you downloading unlocked copies of mapping onto more than one PC?

Back
Top Bottom