Lambda sensors

Taffyphil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi I bought 2005 1200gs 2 years ago. It ran ok for a couple of months then became quite lumpy and was running rich (spark plugs were black, heavy fuel consumption). Took it to a local reputable bike mechanic for a service and he confirmed that the fuelling was all over the place on the diagnostic machine. Tracked the fault to the lambda sensors. He disconnected them saying this happens a lot and that it wouldn’t do any harm running without them. I have to say the bike is now running sweetly with much better fuel consumption. Is this likely to do long term damage or is he correct?

If the lambda sensors are disconnected The ECU will default to a lambda reading of 1.0 that is an AFR of 14.7 to 1 .
It would be a lot better having working lambda sensors as the long and short term fuel trims can build the fuel maps to suit the engine state / conditions.
It is unusual for both sensors to fail at the same time, my first suspect would be the air temperature sensor as this effects both cylinders and if the resistance goes way out I have seen it produce the symptoms described.
I should add that the lambda sensors are possibly now U/S through the heavy contamination of soot that could occur through a faulty temperature sensor in the airbox sending the mixture rich.

Back
Top Bottom