Hydraulic Clutch fro '96 R1100GS ?

mhouck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for advise on replacing clutch cable to Hydraulic.
I checked the Magura site and it does not list one for the GS.

Has anyone installed a hydraulic system on their 1100? Brand? Advise?

Thanks

I thought hydraulic clutch only 1150 and above not on 1100, it won't work, need change gearbox to accommodate slave cylinder, if change gearbox you need clutch to fit 1150 shaft I think. Anyway what's wrong with cable? Less hassle with cable

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

You would need as the minimum an 1150 Gearbox and rear subframe and left side switch gear and the Slave cylinder and hoses

Just buy an 1150 or get the cable adjusted nicely and new felt washer at the lever

There was an hydraulic clutch conversion available for the old aircooled twins.
A simple bolt on replacement for the cable actuation. Wouldn't take much work at all to make it fit an 1100.
But I can't remember who made it....

ali express

this might work ? there are many different ones listed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-093116.jpg
    Screenshot_20210526-093116.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 204
Speak to Venhill they do a couple of different makes of conversion kits inc Magura, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

You might need to have some brackets made up but anything is possible with a bit of ingenuity.

TBH I don't recall the 1150 clutch being that much lighter than the 1100.

A heavy pull at the clutch lever is a big issue with Laverdas even if your hands were in good shape - on my 180 I mounted a longer actuating arm at the clutch end which helped, but made adjustment a bit of a PITA to say the least. The hydraulic one on my RGS might have been a little lighter - the clutches on both bikes are basically the same - I changed the pump to one off a Jap bike which might have had a smaller bore, did it mainly for the adjustable lever, but it wasn't much better than the 180.

I think if arthritis is setting in, a bike with an automatic clutch like the Africa Twin is the way to go, but of course they ain't cheap.

Back
Top Bottom