DIY Oil Change F850 GS Sport- Cant get BMW service till mid July

BillyYo

Reaction score
Hi All,

My bike has been sitting for 7 or 8 months. It's close to 6K on the clock so now wants a service. The earliest service I can get booked is July 12th. I can't loose half the summer waiting for that so was thinking of doing the oil and filter myself and draining the fuel. Then I can get around without too much guilt.

Would this void my warranty?

When I do bring it in for it's service, Can I ask them not to do the oil and filter?(Just take a look at the dipstick and confirm it looks good)

Thanks!

Doesn't need to go to BMW. Just a mechanic who will use the correct parts etc.

Worth finding an independent in your area. Not sure if Steptoe does these bikes, but I'm sure someone will be able to recommend somebody.

Depends where you are in that London.

I googled what to do with a bike that's been sitting and an article said that some petrol of lower quality can go bad and should be syphoned off...

Sent from my LM-F100 using Tapatalk
7-8 months...it’ll be fine.
I regularly have bikes laid up for a year...never had any issue.

How many miles do you think you’ll add before July 12th?
Have a word with your dealer. Doubt they’ll be too worried about you going a bit over the 6k if it’s not a huge amount.

How many miles do you think you’ll add before July 12th?
Have a word with your dealer. Doubt they’ll be too worried about you going a bit over the 6k if it’s not a huge amount.
I need to get to Austria and back(Covid rules allowing) Also need to get to Wales and back from London.

Normally I'd not be too worried but the fact it has been sitting for so long worries me a bit. Think giving the dealership a ring is a good shout.

Try a different BMW place if you're set on it. Book it in somewhere en route, during your trip and have a stop for a day or two. Just a thought.

If you’re in London then within a fairly nice ride you have Vines, Bahnstormer Maidenhead and Alton, North Oxford, Vertu Tubridge Wells etc. Surely one of them can do a 6K service?

If you’re in London then within a fairly nice ride you have Vines, Bahnstormer Maidenhead and Alton, North Oxford, Vertu Tubridge Wells etc. Surely one of them can do a 6K service?

I rang around a number of these guys and the best I could get was late next month.

Rang a place called Jap & German Motorcycles out in Isleworth who had a cancellation today and could fit me in. Bit hesitant to go to a place that's not an official dealership but I cant wait a month and they have really good reviews online will use only BMW parts and have certifications etc

Just dropped the bike out there a while ago so fingers crossed it's all good!

Very happy and confident in the service these guys provided.

I rang around a number of these guys and the best I could get was late next month.

Rang a place called Jap & German Motorcycles out in Isleworth who had a cancellation today and could fit me in. Bit hesitant to go to a place that's not an official dealership but I cant wait a month and they have really good reviews online will use only BMW parts and have certifications etc

Just dropped the bike out there a while ago so fingers crossed it's all good!

Even if they are not a dealership I trust they are aware of the fact that the 850 has two drainplugs for the oil. The second plug is on the inside of the cranckcase and is accessed through the outside plug using a extended 5mm hex-bit. Seems like at least half of the drained oil comes from this internal reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom