R1100R running issue on steady throttle

Andymach23

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I just bought a 2000 reg R1100R. It has 35K miles and is in decent enough nick. I've a running issue and it would be brilliant if I could get some advice please?

It starts fine and seems to accelerate ok, but hesitates if I try and keep to steady throttle setting, between 3 and 4 K revs. This hesitation seems to stay constant and there is no surging. When this happens I can accelerate out of it.

A couple of times it has stalled when i've stopped at a junction. It has started right up again after this. I've tried running with the tank cap open and it is still the same.

I've ordered plugs, a fuel filter and an air filter as a starting point.

I've a receipt for plugs from 2019 so it may not be that, but worth trying a set anyway.

Is there anything else I can check in the meantime?

I really like the bike so far and very much looking forward to getting it running right.

Cheers, Andy

Probably just needs a tune up. Start by setting the valve clearances on a cold engine, then adjust your throttle bodies on a warm engine.

If you have problems getting a steady idle it may be worth rebuilding your throttle bodies with the Dan Catta rebuild kits as sold by Motobins. The bushings and spindles wear, affecting performance. That is probably unlikely at your mileage though.

There are plenty of utube videos showing what is involved.

Thanks for the reply.

I've ordered up some feeler gauges for the valve adjustment. Do I need to get a digital balancer for the throttle bodies?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

I've ordered up some feeler gauges for the valve adjustment. Do I need to get a digital balancer for the throttle bodies?

Cheers

Andymach Since you are spending Money on bits chum If you pay a subscription to the forum you can get access to extra areas and You can send and receive Messages

Give me a pm when you get sorted and I can chat/send you a number to chat to you about it

(Edit its about £12 a pound a month basically )

I think you'll find that's for the year, not per month. The best £12 (or whatever is costs now) you'll spend.

To balance your throttle bodies you need some type of carb balancing tool,

this utube clip gives you an idea of what is involved https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sJjXU62xU .

There is a variety of balancers you can use. Some are easier than others. Indeed if you are that way inclined you can make your own with a bit of tubing and some fluid.

I find the Davida gauges the easiest https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=davida&search=SEARCH . I have tried other tools but keep coming back to these for their ease of use.

If you are new to servicing beemers this DVD might be of use http://jvbproductions.com/Repair_DVD.html , though all the info is freely available on Youtube.

I think you'll find that's for the year, not per month. The best £12 (or whatever is costs now) you'll spend.

Cough Cough Does Sir have Sir's glasses to hand :rob

:aidan:aidan:aidan

Could do with a Comma right enough Apologies for that But Tarka is not around to keep me right !

(Edit its about £12, a pound a month basically )

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

I'll review everything and take it from there.

Cheers, Andy

My humble apologies, I was warned IT would send me blind, appears they were right!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Cough Cough Does Sir have Sir's glasses to hand :rob

:aidan:aidan:aidan

Could do with a Comma right enough Apologies for that But Tarka is not around to keep me right !
What would we do without you ..as he’d never be able to work out that £12 a year is £1 a month. :D

Check the TPS is set correctly. Also check the resistance across the injector terminals. Should be around 16 oms, and the same reading on both injectors. if lower resistance it can sometimes cause the problem you describe. I’ve had a couple of 1100 bikes in recently with injector resistance problems. Might be linked to the age of the bikes

Back
Top Bottom