Grippy tyres. Recommendations please

Nigel Thomas

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Could someone please advise on super grippy tyres for dry weather riding plse

Not bothered about mileage...

2008 1200

Cheers

Metzeler Roadtec 01 if you're flush, or Avon Storm 3D XM if (like me) you're more "Careful"!!

Continental Road Attacks ... brilliant in wet AND dry.:okay

Ive got the Metzler 01's on both my Tuono and little 790. Great tyre!!

+1 yep, amazing wet grip as well.

Yes they are my usual choice but the OP said he wanted the grippiest

I am about to try M9 RR on the multi just for shits and giggles but the roadtec are more than up for the job on a GS

Stick will be along shortly to tell you that they are shite and you should have what he has cos he is a riding super god

Just had a pair of 01's fitted today, £270 to loose wheels with a £40 prepaid credit card back so, £230
Had 3800 miles off a pair of Bridgestone A41's OE on new bike, grippy tyres, quite suprised me, ok for me in the wet and damp
Pair of Michelin PR5 trails just taken off after 5000 miles, still a very grippy tyre on the GS and excellent in the rain (Scottish monsoon) couldn't fault them other than the rear went a bit flat in the centre....and that was mainly on the roads of N Wales
Looking forward to the new Metzlers tomorrow and Monday...weathers looking good
If they did GS sizes in the M9RR then I would have tried those...apparently from speaking to Metzler last week, they may do the sizes

Get the cheapest you can online, then go to your local one man bike shop to get them fitted, that way you get to save some cash and help a local business.

Sent from my SM-T395 using Tapatalk

After 100 miles the Roadtec 01's are nice and grippy, slightly slower/heavier turning than the Pr 5 Trails but hold a line really well

Attachments

• 20210531_184437.jpg
    20210531_184437.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210531_184442.jpg
    20210531_184442.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210531_184426.jpg
    20210531_184426.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210531_184429.jpg
    20210531_184429.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 192
Mail order really

I have a good mech over in Uckfield who I trust

I order all my tyres mail order and get them fitted locally. One of the fitters even said he can make more money fitting customer supplied tyres then if he supplied them if he wanted to stay competitive on price. In other words he would charge £30.00 to fit to a pair of loose wheels. If a guy came in to have tyres fitted to his bike he had to remove the wheels then fit the tyres and put the wheels back onto the bike and had to charge around the same amount.

As for the op wanting the gripiest tyres available. It's all subject to different Peoples ideas. Some will always like one tyre whereas others won't and will suggest another.
I've been running standard tourances for the whole time I've owned my GSA. Except for when I've put knobblies on for off road. I've ragged the tits off them and never found them wanting for grip or wear rate. I'm sure that some tyres maybe grip better but I've never felt the need to change.
I've used many different tyres on my TL's. From disable Corsa 111's, diablo stradas, Bridgestone bt 010's to maxxis supermax. All have been good road tyres. (The 010's wore out bloody quick though)
A friend insists on putting supercorsas on his Ducati and he is always moaning about the tyre slipping on roundabouts etc. I suspect it is because they need a lot more work to heat them up sufficiently to make them work properly which is hard to do on the road.
Each to their own I suppose.

With Hexhead sizes in mind, this is going to sound strange given the blocky thread pattern......but you'll struggle to find a stickier tyre than the Avon Trailrider.

I have Conti Trail Attack 3 on my Crosstourer (same size tyres as Hexhead) and in all honesty, you would struggle to run out of grip.......and they'll last much longer than the Avon

S20 5G sent this......

I'll also add that I prefer the blocky (faux off road) tyres not because I take my bike off road but I feel more confident on them riding during bad weather (Ireland) and not entirely perfectly surfaced mountain roads.

S20 5G sent this......

Back
Top Bottom