SD Memory card backup on the go?

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So i am setting off on a 7 days ride and my camera can record 5 hours on a 128gb SD card at 1080 60fps

What i need is say a small hard drive type storage with a slot for a SD card.
at the end of each day i can insert card, transfer all the data and format car for day 2 etc.

Once back at home, plug said device in PC and edit footage?

Is there such a device?
Or do i need to just buy a couple of 256gb cards? - this does seem to be the best option.

I do have the go pro subscription with the cloud storage option, but backing upto 128gb each day will be time consuming or not even possible.
campsite wifi transferring 128gb safely???

Just looking for option chaps :)

I have the RAV power file hub travel router... does exactly what you are describing only you will also need an external memory source to back up to. I have a 2TB external drive which plugs in and just dump the data to that until I get home. Works perfectly well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a small laptop and backed up to that every night - a chrome book might suffice?

I have the RAV power file hub travel router... does exactly what you are describing only you will also need an external memory source to back up to. I have a 2TB external drive which plugs in and just dump the data to that until I get home. Works perfectly well for me.

I just googled one of those here £50 on fleabay, so i get that and then say a 2tb passport styleUSB hardrive?

I took a small laptop and backed up to that every night - a chrome book might suffice?
Wish i had a laptop for this reason.... plus i could plug into my denali smart can, but thats another story lol
If i could find a small notebook with a decent HDD second hand it would work

I just googled one of those here £50 on fleabay, so i get that and then say a 2tb passport styleUSB hardrive?

Wish i had a laptop for this reason.... plus i could plug into my denali smart can, but thats another story lol
If i could find a small notebook with a decent HDD second hand it would work

That’s the one. Yes, I have a WD hard disk that plugs in... when you turn it on it recognises the drivers and you can just press a single button to transfer the files. You can also download the app and create files to save them in etc. The whole lot packs in to this... mouse for size reference.

748fbc8a235cdddd7d7884f8334779f7.jpg

That looks like the solution i need :)
an extra 2x 256gb cards is going to be £100-140 anyway, might as well buy this plus a 2 or 4tb hard drive
job done.
Nice one Flaming T :)

ordered and on their way :D
i went for the 4TB HDD, not much difference in price tbh
at this rate i can record the whole ride and edit once home ;)

That’s the one. Yes, I have a WD hard disk that plugs in... when you turn it on it recognises the drivers and you can just press a single button to transfer the files. You can also download the app and create files to save them in etc. The whole lot packs in to this... mouse for size reference.

748fbc8a235cdddd7d7884f8334779f7.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. Great idea! I'm going to copy this set up!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Got mine now
Tiny setup and works really well
PS4 controller just for size comparison
Rav and 4tb hdd
b05d7e737cf266f6041dcc2bd01204df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Same here, not super intuitive but it works - I got a 2tb SSD which is tiny

Ooh, how very interesting! I may just do this myself too! :thumb2

Great kit.
Stick SD card in, plug USB HDD in
Press and hold button on side for 5 seconds
All contents of SD card copied to HDD
As the data is being copied a light flashes on top.
When it stops you can check the contents of the HDD with the phone app
Once confident it's all there, clear card and start again :)
It copied the data a lot faster than I expected too.

Just ordered one from the link above. Got it for £43! :thumb2 Bonus. Already got a 2TB hard drive so should be ready to go when it arrives. :thumb2

The RAV power file hub travel router is a handy thing for charging too. As said, not entirely intuitive to use, but OK once you get it.

So, after over 12 months of no use whatsoever, when you put the SD card in the Ravpower jobbie and connect the hard drive up, how do you know if it’s successfully uploaded? :nenau

Sorry Udders just seen your post.

When the light stops flashing to show its transferred.
Log into the folder on the hard drive and compare size with what's on the SD card.
Then check file count.
If its the same, you have it all :)

So i am setting off on a 7 days ride and my camera can record 5 hours on a 128gb SD card at 1080 60fps

What i need is say a small hard drive type storage with a slot for a SD card.
at the end of each day i can insert card, transfer all the data and format car for day 2 etc.

Once back at home, plug said device in PC and edit footage?

Is there such a device?
Or do i need to just buy a couple of 256gb cards? - this does seem to be the best option.

I do have the go pro subscription with the cloud storage option, but backing upto 128gb each day will be time consuming or not even possible.
campsite wifi transferring 128gb safely???

Just looking for option chaps :)

Another option is just not to shoot 5 hours of video every day. Get the GoPro remote, mount it on your bars and just shoot a bit of video when something scenic or interesting is happening. Plus for almost anything on the bike 30 frames per second is going to be plenty. You are hopefully only going to want to edit down to a few minutes per day of final footage otherwise you will just bore the tits off anybody you show it to. My rule of thumb is that one day of final output should not exceed the length of a single typical chart song as that's pretty much most people's attention span these days.

A couple of 128G cards would normally do me for a week's trip.

Back
Top Bottom