Time Machine Issues

OldCroc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Running a Mini Mac (2012) on Catalina 10.15.7. I am using two disk for backupup - one is an Apple Passport Air. Backups stopped in February this year and I have not been able to do any since. When I enter Time Machine I see it keeps saying that it is looking for the backup disk.

Any help or things to try appreciated. (There is plenty of space on both backup disks.):blast

Running a Mini Mac (2012) on Catalina 10.15.7. I am using two disk for backupup - one is an Apple Passport Air. Backups stopped in February this year and I have not been able to do any since. When I enter Time Machine I see it keeps saying that it is looking for the backup disk.

Any help or things to try appreciated. (There is plenty of space on both backup disks.):blast

I have just migrated from a old intel MacBook to the new M1 chip model. I set up to external hard drives to use as time machines. If memory serves me right the Mac remembers it’s designated “time machine disc” If I connect the wrong disc it displays a window saying cannot find disc. I am unsure if the title/name you give the disc has anything to do with it. My guess would be the data it see’s when reading the drive.

Have you got the discs mixed up ?

You can alter the disc selection by entering the drive icon shown on your desktop. It allows you to change the source of the back up data. You can have more than one machine using the same external drive as a “time machine source”

I have never used a Passport device so cannot offer any help on that.

So are you running 2 sources as a back up ? Passport and an external drive ? The passport last updated in February but a more current back up on a external device ?

I have always used an external drive as a “time machine” and found it very reliable. Saying that I have my data in iCloud as well. Less than £1 per month.

Hope some of this is of use to you.

Just got back to this now. I have two external drives - one of which is the passport. Time machine was backing up to each one as I had them both selected. Then in Feb it just decided that it would not back up to either and I keep getting the 'looking for drive' message despite still having them both selected. I have also tried desecting one and then the other in different order and still the same. Strangely, when I remove both drives Time Machine reports that it will back up when an external drive is connected! Connect one and nuda! I am going to re-format the passport tomorrow as I think one of the options is to select it as a backup drive but will see. Thanks for the suggestions, Steve.

Back
Top Bottom