Garmin Explore app

Wapping

Reaction score
I have downloaded the app to my large iPad.

As it uses Open Street Maps, the detail is very good.

The app can display downloaded GPX routes very well, certainly as well as say, Pocket Earth Pro.

I haven’t yet worked out (at least on my iPad) how to create A to B (or A to Z) bespoke routes. I can probably get the answer to this from YouTube or here: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=xTF7aj0YDq7TQrvaV8J0C6

What is perhaps a pity is that there seems to be no way easy to get a route or a track from Garmin Explore on my iPad onto my Nav VI or Nav V. There is no point in me getting an XT as it won’t mount onto my 1600.

Explore is no help to you, Wapping, with your Nav 6.

Actually, it’s not much help even if your device does connect to it. It’s passable but not good for the Montana 7xx, but to be actively avoided for the XT.

Thank you.

I guessed as much from your comparison review. More than anything, I just wanted to see what it looked like. I also wanted to see if it might be a quick way to answer the inevitable, “Me and me three mates, we.....” questions.

I've been out of the loop for a few months (work + family crap) and I'm not up to date with the latest Garmin drama, if not for my own pet peeves.

Where are we with Garmin Explore?
Basecamp seems like is not really being actively maintained anymore. Is the switch to Explore happening?

I've been out of the loop for a few months (work + family crap) and I'm not up to date with the latest Garmin drama, if not for my own pet peeves.

Where are we with Garmin Explore?
Basecamp seems like is not really being actively maintained anymore. Is the switch to Explore happening?

Not sure about the above comments. You can use the online garmin explore (NOT the app) to create routes and export for use on the XT. Works ok. But unless you plan every route before you tour you will end up needing a laptop with you to do it on the fly. My £280 Amazon special stopped working 2 days into our Spain trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, me too.
It is very basic (to be gentle).

Also, I don't understand the use of OpenStreetMaps when one of Garmin's unique selling points was their cartography, and other that can be installed on the devices.

There is some planning where I want to use my custom maps.

Back
Top Bottom