2002 1150 GSA - Brake Fluid Change & ABS Module.

GS21

Reaction score
Had both front & rear brake fluids changed on my 2002 R1150 GSA with working ABS at a local non official BMW Motorcycle repair shop, after collection and 200km the ABS failed when riding and I have the alternating flashing lights and no ABS. The technician working on my bike had several other jobs to do including fitting a new Gear Indicator switch, for
each job he took photos of the work in progress and at completion so I could understand, however, I have just noticed from the photos that when the front & rear brake fluids were changed the fuel tank was NOT removed from the bike, which means the abs module was not bled, could this cause an ABS failure with a stuck piston (GS911 Fault Code).

Had both front & rear brake fluids changed on my 2002 R1150 GSA with working ABS at a local non official BMW Motorcycle repair shop, after collection and 200km the ABS failed when riding and I have the alternating flashing lights and no ABS. The technician working on my bike had several other jobs to do including fitting a new Gear Indicator switch, for
each job he took photos of the work in progress and at completion so I could understand, however, I have just noticed from the photos that when the front & rear brake fluids were changed the fuel tank was NOT removed from the bike, which means the abs module was not bled, could this cause an ABS failure with a stuck piston (GS911 Fault Code).

Don't confuse the pre 2003 plain and simple ABS to the later post 2003 servo/abs module.

Thanks for the reply Steptoe, mine is the simple ABS2 non-servo version. so is it unnecessary to bleed the abs module when changing the brake fluids?, i'm a little confused as some vids on utube for ABS2 brake fluid changes show bleeding at the module and some not?.

ABS reset

There's a bleed nipple on each ABS module. Ideally bleeding should be done there too.
Meanwhile .. it's worth trying the simple reset procedure for ABS faults.
It involves grounding pin 2 of the diagnostice plug (OR connecting pin 2 and pin 4)
Details here

Thanks for the reply Two Wheels Good. It is my thought too about bleeding both nipples on the module, as the ABS failure was a stuck piston fault perhaps from air in the chambers or module not topped off with fluid, it is my guess anyway!.

I have tried both methods to reset the ABS but it will not reset, I have read that it will not reset until the problem has been rectified firstly. I think I will take the steed to the official BMW dealer and see what can be done to both bike and wallet!.

Stuck piston - then any reset would probably have been only temporary at best.
I have seen posts about companies, in UK and USA, that reburb the ABS unit. Could you find a local company that has expertise refurbing car ABS units? Otherwise .. a secondhand unit or remove ABS completely?
I expect the dealer will offer a new replacement unit. Dread to think what that might cost.

Thanks for the reply Two Wheels Good. It is my thought too about bleeding both nipples on the module, as the ABS failure was a stuck piston fault perhaps from air in the chambers or module not topped off with fluid, it is my guess anyway!.

Stuck piston has nothing to do with air in the chambers or whatever else you’ve said/imagined.... the modulator only has to be bled if the circuit has been broken into i.e. if a brake line has been replaced or caliper removed etc.

Stuck piston has nothing to do with air in the chambers or whatever else you’ve said/imagined.... the modulator only has to be bled if the circuit has been broken into i.e. if a brake line has been replaced or caliper removed etc.

Thanks again for the helpful reply Steptoe, understood well, I have only had the GS for 18 Month's and still learning much!. Oh well, back to the mechanic to ascertain why I cannot reset the ABS and what can be done about the stuck piston if anything!.

Well, I've had plenty of practice with the reset procedure now - after approx 15yrs of never needing it. (02 single spark)
Persistent ABS error present. It does reset eventually but not for long.
It's spoiled the satisfaction of passing the 150k milestone.

Time to get my hands on a GS911.

Back
Top Bottom