Help to value friends bike to be sold.

Neil12GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 2011/11 GS 1200 Triple black.
If has only done 13000 miles and is in good condition.
Black spoked Alloys.
I don’t know any more spec at the moment but he is not on the internet so I said I would try and get a ball park figure from the experts....
He has owned it for 8 years.
Thanks.

ive just bought a 2012 triple black 10.000 mile from bmw dealer mint 2 years warranty £8.200 so work it out from there..

It’s 10 years old , these have an inherent design flaw at the final drive , not to mention I assume electronic suspension, abs , all of which is not cheap to fix ,may or may not be a problem but has to be factored in when you are buying, ynotbiker indicated main dealer price with 2 year warranty , this would give piece of mind to any potential hefty bills. There is plenty for sale on eBay & gumtree so I wouldn’t build up his expectations too much , if he got £6500 with panniers I think he would be doing ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ll pass that on. I think he had an idea of putting it up for about £7000 with the low mileage, inc the full pannier set and few more bits n bobs, so sounds like he is not far away.

It’s 10 years old , these have an inherent design flaw at the final drive , not to mention I assume electronic suspension, abs , all of which is not cheap to fix ,may or may not be a problem but has to be factored in when you are buying, ynotbiker indicated main dealer price with 2 year warranty , this would give piece of mind to any potential hefty bills. There is plenty for sale on eBay & gumtree so I wouldn’t build up his expectations too much , if he got £6500 with panniers I think he would be doing ok.

What's the inherent design flaw at the fd?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Final drive bearings fail at an alarming rate , mickeyboy on here fixes quite a number.

Doesn't seem to effect LC's , BMW solution is to buy a new final drive , how helpful

Final drive bearings fail at an alarming rate , mickeyboy on here fixes quite a number.
Any idea average mileage they go at?

Mines only has 102,000 on it so would be good to know if this is something I should expect to happen in the near future

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Not really needing to gatecrash this post but plenty of posts on here about FD's , mine went at 14K but is not a GSA don't know if that makes a difference, mickeyboy has had decent business out of this.

What % of these FD have failed? Given the 100'000's BMW has sold, I would be expecting to hear about 10,000s of anecdotes ... :nenau or did you just hear about it from a bloke down the pub?

The 04 to 09 Final drives had a 2RS type bearing ( These have seals each side and are remote from the FD oil) They will not stand being pressure washed.
The later 2010 to 2012 have the bearing in the FD oil and are better shielded.
The later FD bearing is a BMW only part ( as far as I can find)
The early bearing is a standard SKF or FAG bearing so not very expensive.
The bearing can be changed with the final drive in place, Less hassle to change than a chain and sprockets at a fraction of the price.
As a side note when BMW changed the ally disk carrier to the steel one as a recall, the new steel one does a better job of shielding the bearing against water ingress.

The 04 to 09 Final drives had a 2RS type bearing ( These have seals each side and are remote from the FD oil) They will not stand being pressure washed.
The bearing can be changed with the final drive in place, Less hassle to change than a chain and sprockets at a fraction of the price.
As a side note when BMW changed the ally disk carrier to the steel one as a recall, the new steel one does a better job of shielding the bearing against water ingress.

Mine's a '63 plate so it should be fine.

What % of these FD have failed? Given the 100'000's BMW has sold, I would be expecting to hear about 10,000s of anecdotes ... :nenau or did you just hear about it from a bloke down the pub?

I don’t go about with rose tinted specs ,this has happened to me and plenty of others on here , yes the BM is a good bike but not without their flaws , how many Servo assisted brakes are still operating on r1150rt’s, BMW should have been in my opinion in court over that crap design ,it’s meant to last the lifetime of the bike , similarly you wouldn’t produce a popular bike like the r1200gs lc with defective front forks now would you?

You really want to do this on the bike?

https://youtu.be/eO_RbcNTaic

You really want to do this on the bike?

https://youtu.be/eO_RbcNTaic

If I was going to do a full FD rebuild I would remove the FD and dismantle it in my purpose built jig as in your post.
My reference was to replacing the bearing that normally fails , Which I have done many times with the FD on the bike.
No rose tinted glasses here, there are plenty of faults but they are a lot easier to rectify than faults on other bikes.

If I was going to do a full FD rebuild I would remove the FD and dismantle it in my purpose built jig as in your post.
My reference was to replacing the bearing that normally fails , Which I have done many times with the FD on the bike.
No rose tinted glasses here, there are plenty of faults but they are a lot easier to rectify than faults on other bikes.

If I recall mikeyboy put out an enquiry regarding the LC ‘s FD now they have been out 8years however doesn’t seem to be any interest,so I assume they got that element nailed down.

I have not had any experience with the LC final drive so can`t comment.
When Mikeyboy comes to fetch the work that I am currently doing for him I will ask him about his LC FD experiences.

Back
Top Bottom