Puzzling? 2006 gs none abs Fuel gauge and strip??

WillyB

Reaction score
Hi all
Can someone please help/explain??

I have a 2006 Gs in Silver (in case it helps :D)
My fuel gauge rises when full to three quarters on the panel..(I think its 3/4 because there is a 1cm gap between the top bars?) i.e. not up to the top of the LCD display if that makes sense?
I thought the fuel strip was gone...
So when bike was in for a service at a BMW dealers I asked for a price, I was told my bike did not have a fuel strip..?
I have to say that it does count down from 40 miles and Orange triangle flashes and message on the LCD.
I hope people understand as reading this it looks like drivel..:blagblah

So question is mine working as normal or not?? and why did BMW say it is not a fuel strip?? as being my first BMW and a GS, Bars 3/4 up the LCD screen when full?
Drop after around 100 miles, then the last 40 is count down on LCD.

Cheers for any help.

WB

A 2006 has either a float or fuel strip depending on which ZFE ECU it has.
Basically if it has the computer to give you MPG then it has a strip, if it does not give you MPG when you cycle through the "info" button you are lucky and it has a float.

Just unscrew the red plastic piece inside the filler cap and you’ll see a float if it’s a non-strip sender.

I thought the float was mounted on to the fuel pump on a 2006 model and on the filler neck on the 2010 - 2012 years.
The float had limited travel when mounted on the earlier models ( mounted on the fuel pump) so less accurate.
If you have access to a GS911 or motoscan & OBDlink it will tell you which it is.
The BMW dealer would have been able to see this in the build data.

Mine is 2006(and silver) no mpg function but has a strip, it has failed and been replaced once and is playing up again now, fortunately with no warning lights:nenau

Al.

Back
Top Bottom