Spokes

de crowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The spokes on my 1991 R80gs are quite grotty, is it worth having the wheels respoked ( and what might it costs?, nobody in any way local to me does this type of work) or should I consider buying spokes and trying it myself?
Idle evening chat and inquiry.

Motobins/motorworks sell the spokes @£70;a set(stainless)
My wheel builder £80 per wheel to build/true.
Add to this vapour blast hub£40 each
Polish rims prob £40 each
Give or take

So around 240 stg plus postage both ways and any evil post Brexit charges.
IMG_1592.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f2996884770a6fafcee4bf6cc8bcb461.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you still have post Brexit tariff charges if you already own the wheel?

You can get original spokes from Germany that would avoid one of your issues and priced in Euro's.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran.../www.oldtimer-on-tour.de/&prev=search&pto=aue

I dealt with them last year and they were excellent.

Gerry

If I am buying from Germany I have no Brexit charges, as it is EU to EU. Can you give me the original site without the translate bit or just roughly what the site "name" is? thanks

If I am buying from Germany I have no Brexit charges, as it is EU to EU. Can you give me the original site without the translate bit or just roughly what the site "name" is? thanks

Found it thanks very much, Good price I think delivered to Ireland

These GS cross spoke wheels are not really a DIY job, so I would forget about doing it yourself.
It is possible with the right gear and a bit of bodging but if it is not obvious to you at first glance why you can't rebuild them like a normal wheel then it is unlikely you will be able too.
Quite a few claim to have rebuilt them , but none have ever explained what the problem is and how they overcame it so I would take the claims with a pinch of salt!
Good used ones sell for huge prices on Ebay, so even at 250 quid a wheel you will be well in front.
If your wheel is true I would just have the hub water blasted or whatever and polish up the rims and spokes best you can, although the stock spokes are prone to breakage.

Did you try Revolution Solution in Wexford?
They offer a wheel building service.
I got their card off them at a show a while back but I've no experience of using them.
/Fran

These GS cross spoke wheels are not really a DIY job, so I would forget about doing it yourself.
It is possible with the right gear and a bit of bodging but if it is not obvious to you at first glance why you can't rebuild them like a normal wheel then it is unlikely you will be able too.
Quite a few claim to have rebuilt them , but none have ever explained what the problem is and how they overcame it so I would take the claims with a pinch of salt!
Good used ones sell for huge prices on Ebay, so even at 250 quid a wheel you will be well in front.
If your wheel is true I would just have the hub water blasted or whatever and polish up the rims and spokes best you can, although the stock spokes are prone to breakage.

I definately think respoking would be beyond me thanks

Did you try Revolution Solution in Wexford?
They offer a wheel building service.
I got their card off them at a show a while back but I've no experience of using them.
/Fran

I will look them up Fran

Back
Top Bottom