100GS oil cooler

Smudge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I received a 'bag of bits' with my recently purchased 100GS. In the bag was the oil cooler, with a broken attachment as per photo.
Is it repairable?, it looks like someone tried to remove the broken section but to no avail. :D

Attachments

• oil cooler.jpg
    oil cooler.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 190
  • oil cooler2.jpg
    oil cooler2.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 196
If you go down the refurb route I have one, in probably the same condition, that you can have for the cost of post that may have some salvageable parts.

Thanks Gents ... I didn't know if I could just unscrew the damaged bit and replace it.
As it is no good to me as it is, I might try and do that, if I have any success and need some bits I will gat back to you Paul :beerjug:

The original cooler on my 1988 100 GS, which looked better than that, sprung a leak when I was down in Devon (a long way from home) covering everything in oil. The temp fix failed and I got the RAC to recover me and the bike - first time ever :blast.

To be honest, I'd bin it and buy a new one, its not worth the risk.

Just my tuppence worth.

Bob.

There is always the option of deleting it all together. Touratech and others used to sell a bypass hose to do just that. Or make your own hose.

There is always the option of deleting it all together. Touratech and others used to sell a bypass hose to do just that. Or make your own hose.

Or you could replace the internal oil feed spigot and cover and remove it. I did this with my 100RS with no issues. The downside is that it's no longer "original", if that matters to you. The oil cooler is really not needed for normal use. Maybe in a traffic jam in high summer in Juan les Pins or in the Kalahari!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I have decided to go without for a while, maybe sort a new one out at some stage, probably when I come to fully restoring ... which will not be for a couple of years yet :D
I tried to take the broken piece out of the cooler but there is no way that is ever going to move :blast
Just going to get it on the road and enjoy it for the time being :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom