TYRES

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Those Anakee 3s I got off Micky a couple of years ago have been brilliant (they were old when he got them!) I have done about 15,000 miles on them so far but they are squaring off due to too many main road trips for work.... I have a holiday week in kernow in July, I don't know how long is left in them, so starting to think about changing. I would have the same again in a heartbeat, they are the first tyre I have had in over 50 years of riding where I can actually feel them gripping, but there are none to be had anywhere. I have phoned all over.... other suggestions please, that are not as obtainable as Unicorn livers. :thumby:

otherwise Cornwall will be done with the canvass showing on the return leg! Carefully. :D

Those Anakee 3s I got off Micky a couple of years ago have been brilliant (they were old when he got them!) I have done about 15,000 miles on them so far but they are squaring off due to too many main road trips for work.... I have a holiday week in kernow in July, I don't know how long is left in them, so starting to think about changing. I would have the same again in a heartbeat, they are the first tyre I have had in over 50 years of riding where I can actually feel them gripping, but there are none to be had anywhere. I have phoned all over.... other suggestions please, that are not as obtainable as Unicorn livers. :thumby:

otherwise Cornwall will be done with the canvass showing on the return leg! Carefully. :D

If it’s for the airhead then you could do worse than TKC 70’s - as recommended by such luminaries as Duncan (RIP) and Tufty!:thumby::thumby:

If it’s for the airhead then you could do worse than TKC 70’s - as recommended by such luminaries as Duncan (RIP) and Tufty!:thumby::thumby:

Nay, it is in the X650 section ..... for the x Country. The GS has got lovely Karoo Streets on it, probably last me another 2 years yet! The Anakee 3s have done well, but trying to get any has proven difficult. Someone has mentioned Metzeler Tourance next, somoeone else has suggested Conti escapes.

What size wheels.
I can call my whole saler
Unless your looking for part worn ?

For the X Country, slim wheels 17 rear and 19 front.... I will have to look in the morning at the actual sizes because I can't remember all the numbers and I don't know what they mean anyway - used to be 4.25 x 18 and 3.75 x 18 H rated Road Runners was all you had to remember. These modern bikes are so complicated!

Continental Trail Attack 2's Simon :thumb

:beerjug:

Sizes are weird... not the same as billed for the x Country.
100/90 x19 S - I can only find H rated ones....
130/80 x 17 S

Reasonable prices though for those Trail Attack 2s. £73 front and £77 rear.

130/80 x 17 S

XChallenge tyre sizes are 90/90 x 21 and 140/80 x 18 , for the XCountry the sizes are as you have listed 100/90 x 19 and 130/80 x 17

I used to get MEFO Super Explorers but since BREXIT I can't get them anymore so have been using Mitas E-07+ , I paid £127 for the pair including delivery from Wheelhouse Tyres

Continental Trail Attack 3's are the best front and rear tyre combination for highway use on the X Country in my opinion.

130/80 x 17 S

They are what I have fitted ... handles great (H rated I believe) :thumb

Better than the Metzeler Tourance I used to love :D

Metzeler Tourance For me, they are great tyres - road versions or semi off road, whichever you prefer

They are what I have fitted ... handles great (H rated I believe) :thumb

Better than the Metzeler Tourance I used to love :D

Do you think I would get to half way lean on them? I have nearly got that far on the Michelins, so really I have only used the middle half of the tyres.

Metzeler Tourance For me, they are great tyres - road versions or semi off road, whichever you prefer

Welcome to UKGSer Bobinyak.

I used to think that until I tried the Continental Trail Attcks :D

Do you think I would get to half way lean on them? I have nearly got that far on the Michelins, so really I have only used the middle half of the tyres.

You could always get a stream roller Simon .... they don't lean at all :D

Thanks Micky, not tried the conti's

I always loved my Metzeler Tourance, swore by them .... good friends on here, Magnet and Harry the Cat tried telling me for years how good the Continental Trail Attacks were, but I wouldn't have any of it :rob

Metzeler production moved to China and I wasn't too happy with them, so put Contintental's on my 800GS .... soooo much nicer :thumb

Have them now on my G650 Xcountry and it handles far nicer, smoother even than the 800 :D

I always loved my Metzeler Tourance, swore by them .... good friends on here, Magnet and Harry the Cat tried telling me for years how good the Continental Trail Attacks were, but I wouldn't have any of it :rob

Metzeler production moved to China and I wasn't too happy with them, so put Contintental's on my 800GS .... soooo much nicer :thumb

Have them now on my G650 Xcountry and it handles far nicer, smoother even than the 800 :D

Been under a steam roller, evidently! I have tried being flattened, I wouldn't recommend it. :D

I am daft..... When I got the XChallenge 'thing' it was on X Country wheels with decent Mitas tyres on. Then Simon Pavey's Dakar race wheels (his spares) became available and I managed to purloin them! That means I have a set of X Country wheels with tyres on that have loads of life left. :D I looked closely yesterday and used one of the T-piece tyre tread gauges on each groove of my Michelin rear, there is a minimum of 3mm left so I think they will see me down to Kernow and back next week, then I shall swap the wheels over.

It is just as well I have spare tyres (wheels) because I have plumped for Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs, mostly because I have access through the magazine to a special deal... BUT the next shipment isn't until September. I have got a pair and new tubes coming (tubes are in even shorter supply). Apparently all tyre makers are in much the same boat and lead in times for stock is counted in months. No more 'just in time' deliveries folks! If you are getting near new tyres time and a dealer has stock, don't hang about because replenishment might be a while ahead.

Thanks for all your input. The Trail Atttacks are what Andy has on his too and the day he fitted them the tyres went to the very edge, as in no chicken strips whatsoever, on his way home from work..... he says they are awesome, but they are never going to see that kind of use from me, my tyres wear turkey strips, similar to chicken strips, but bigger.

Had exactly the same experience Micky!

Back
Top Bottom