Soft side panniers for 2015 1200 GSA?

The ones in the link is used by Walter himself, who designed it, Lyndon Poskitt from Races to Places etc.

The BMW kit is in their catalogue, it is called The Atacama.

I have the Atacama roll bag which i'm using with my Bumot soft panniers on a trip next week...

The BMW Atacama luggage is made by Mosko Moto and is exactly the same as their soft panniers / roll bag just labelled as BMW (although the label on the inside of my roll bag states Mosko Moto)...

One manufacturer I should have mentioned is Lone Rider who make what they call semi rigid soft bags which have two big advantages over the Xtremada bags in that they are waterproof and lockable

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/collections/luggage/products/motobags

I have just noticed that they can now fit straight onto the standard GSA pannier frame and also have a quick release mechanism (which looks very similar to that on the Xtremada bags)

IMHO that makes them a better choice than the Xtremada but of course they are considerably more expensive

They are actually twice the price...

I have a brand new and unused set of Bumot Xtremada soft panniers sitting in my garage which I'm tempted to sell.

I have a brand new and unused set of Bumot Xtremada soft panniers sitting in my garage which I'm tempted to sell.

I find Xtremada super, because when folded flat, nobody think of try to break the box open, great for London and towns, but logic means leave nothing of value inside.

i was looking at the Bumot paniers as a smaller set for days out and use the metal boxes for nights away. Like the look and the fact that they fit on the existing racks and ease or interchangeability. How wide are are the panniers as i can only find the litre size?

Having just returned from 8 days touring and camping in the Lakes, Dales and Moors I feel I’ve nailed the right combination in terms f luggage. I’ve always had aluminium panniers from Touratechs Zegas on my 1150GSA to the BMW equivalent on my 1200 and then the 1250. This was my first trip using soft luggage. Bumot Extremedas panniers on genuine BMW GSA racks and the BMW Atacama roll bag on the top… All worked perfectly, camping gear (smaller stuff) in the bigger pannier on the left side, clothing etc in the right smaller pannier, tent, chair, fire pit, tarp and poles in the Atacama bag and the new Foam filled sleeping mat from Robins in a dry bag…The perfect combination and (INMO) looks better than the hard luggage…

Attachments

• 9BF387FC-D191-4D91-8B06-7CE0C45C09F9.jpg
    9BF387FC-D191-4D91-8B06-7CE0C45C09F9.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 357
Looks a neat set up. Did you use the Bumot dry bags in the Xtremadas?

Looks a neat set up. Did you use the Bumot dry bags in the Xtremadas?

Yes, I was going to swap them out for some smaller equivalents but as i minimised the amount of camping stuff to take i went with the Bumots and they were fine..

Maybe I dismissed them too quickly and I should give mine a go next time then

I have a new R1250GSA Rallye and i'm considering soft panniers.

My old hexhead I had aluminium BMW panniers but only used them when i took the missis away with me, which was about once a year for a weekend.

So the hard cases sat in the garage mainly unused taking up space.

My first option was Lomo Dry bag panniers because of price, I tried to order some but they are out of stock until August.

My preferred option is Mosko or Atacama with the Gateway BMW for pannier mounting plates but feck me they are expensive.

So halfway house are the Bumot Extremeda soft panniers i like the fact that they just fit straight onto the pannier frames with no fannying around, down side is the outer bag is not waterproof and the innerbag doesnt appear to be the same shape/fit as the outer so may have to source other better innerbags??

My worry is if i bought the Bumot would i end up wishing i'd put that money to some Mosko panniers because of better quality or simply wait for Lomo to come back into stock and take the cheapest option for now.

My worry is if i bought the Bumot would i end up wishing i'd put that money to some Mosko panniers because of better quality or simply wait for Lomo to come back into stock and take the cheapest option for now.

I sort of feel that way. I wish I'd taken a proper look at the Lone Rider bags before buying the Bumots but Lone Rider dont seem to have any dealer in the UK

mikef Yeah Lone Rider panniers get very good reviews may have another look at them.

vRSG60 Have seen that too, thanks for the heads up ;)

I’m fairly broke right now so can’t order anything pricey, which gives me some time to consider the right option.

I’m in Scotland and have ridden through some exceptionally heavy rain… my Bumot soft panniers were dry on the inside at the destinations. I did spray them thoroughly with Grangers repel treatment. Can’t complain about anything especially not the price.

Thanks Jeremy for these! About to test them out next week around Scotland. Camping for a week.

Attachments

• BF284219-84E3-4588-B9ED-2985C41354A8.jpg
    BF284219-84E3-4588-B9ED-2985C41354A8.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 165
It’s definitely better, but I learned to read sideways & upside down early in my career. Usually what Bollocks the boss had written on my appraisal…

It’s a matter of weight, price, security, amount of use. Each person has different needs

I have had hard luggage and found I need it once or twice a year, 10 day Europe trip and possibly another. Decided hard luggage whilst convenient was heavy and too wide for filtering and big outlay for minimal use and pain to store safely. Went away this year with 52L trekker top box and Givi 40L roll bag strapped to my seat. Still came back with unworn items after 9 days.

Looking at the Lomo bags for £70 but will wait til they are back in stock. Think they do what I need for panniers and very good value.but will need to make adaptions. Need heat shield (thin alu checker plate) to stop them touching exhaust and melting, and some light inner bags so can leave pannier bags fastened to the bike. I will make sure they are securely fastened for whole trip by the straps and some zip ties

The other benefit of soft luggage is if you drop the bike they act as big pillows and you don’t damage your bike

Lots of choice and prices......horses for courses depending on your needs and cost

It’s a matter of weight, price, security, amount of use. Each person has different needs

I have had hard luggage and found I need it once or twice a year, 10 day Europe trip and possibly another. Decided hard luggage whilst convenient was heavy and too wide for filtering and big outlay for minimal use and pain to store safely. Went away this year with 52L trekker top box and Givi 40L roll bag strapped to my seat. Still came back with unworn items after 9 days.

Looking at the Lomo bags for £70 but will wait til they are back in stock. Think they do what I need for panniers and very good value.but will need to make adaptions. Need heat shield (thin alu checker plate) to stop them touching exhaust and melting, and some light inner bags so can leave pannier bags fastened to the bike. I will make sure they are securely fastened for whole trip by the straps and some zip ties

The other benefit of soft luggage is if you drop the bike they act as big pillows and you don’t damage your bike

Lots of choice and prices......horses for courses depending on your needs and cost

I have Lomo bags and the cymark plate for the exhaust side, but they weren’t really secure enough for the amount I want to take camping for a week, all seems a bit too heavy and tricky to lash tightly to the pannier frames.

Back
Top Bottom