Chain & Sprockets

Mark H-W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a rule, till now, I’ve mainly owned shafts drives. The chain on my F800 GSA changing.
I’m considering changing the front sprocket for a 17tooth.
Any recommendations for best chain for primarily road use and best quality sprocket.

Regards

Mark

I used DID chains on my F800, There is no need to change the chain length when you put the 17 tooth sprocket on. Keep an eye on the front sprocket, they have a habit of sticking on the splines. After having one cut off, I used to regularly loosen the sprocket and give it a wiggle to make sure it was still free. Using the 17tooth sprocket gives a more relaxed ride dropping the revs by 500rpm @70mph.

Did X ring chain, go for JT sprockets front and rear , get the 17 tooth rubber covered sprocket it gives the chain an easier life and runs quieter.

I used DID chains on my F800, There is no need to change the chain length when you put the 17 tooth sprocket on. Keep an eye on the front sprocket, they have a habit of sticking on the splines. After having one cut off, I used to regularly loosen the sprocket and give it a wiggle to make sure it was still free. Using the 17tooth sprocket gives a more relaxed ride dropping the revs by 500rpm @70mph.

I grease the splines and had never had an issue removing the sprockets on our two bikes.

Did X ring chain, go for JT sprockets front and rear , get the 17 tooth rubber covered sprocket it gives the chain an easier life and runs quieter.

I did the exact same this as this and it's a huge improvement.

Power delivery is better, runs quieter and it cures the vibe issue at about 75 mph.

DID X Ring ordered along with JT Sprockets, but couldn’t locate a rubber coated 17 front sprocket.
Thank you all for the input

I was persuaded to change to a 17 tooth front sprocket and it did make the bike slightly more relaxed at motorway speeds. It also put cruising speed revs at the highest vibration point and after around 20 miles my right hand, wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder were painful and after around 50 miles were going numb. My osteopath warned me that I was risking permanent nerve damage. So I swapped back to the 16 tooth sprocket and all the problems went away. When you fill up, ride 180-200 miles, then fill up, regardless of which sprocket you have does it really make that much difference? Plus I managed to do the 23,000 miles of the TransAmericas on the standard gearing with out wishing it was different.
I can understand why racing teams change sprockets but do we really need to? The manufacturers go to great trouble to get it right, so why not leave it alone and just ride the bike.

I was persuaded to change to a 17 tooth front sprocket and it did make the bike slightly more relaxed at motorway speeds. It also put cruising speed revs at the highest vibration point and after around 20 miles my right hand, wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder were painful and after around 50 miles were going numb. My osteopath warned me that I was risking permanent nerve damage. So I swapped back to the 16 tooth sprocket and all the problems went away. When you fill up, ride 180-200 miles, then fill up, regardless of which sprocket you have does it really make that much difference? Plus I managed to do the 23,000 miles of the TransAmericas on the standard gearing with out wishing it was different.
I can understand why racing teams change sprockets but do we really need to? The manufacturers go to great trouble to get it right, so why not leave it alone and just ride the bike.

Super Ted people change sprockets for personal reasons and sometimes to change something the manufacturer’s built in. Case in points two of my bikes

1990 Kr1s 250 geared for 140 mph! Ultra long first gear, so folk go down in sprocket size so the bike is nippier of the line and are less interested in top speed.

2019 Honda monkey 125, sold by Honda as a 200 mpg bike! That is with a 9 st tester! Real world 14 stone folk buy one and find come a hill or headwind and they cant better 50 mph. So reduce the engine sprocket shorten the gearing and happy days.

Thats why I feel folk move away from the std set up, its just personal choice.

I think it's personal preference.

Changing the front sprocket on mine made a big difference for me and the bike is much easier on the motorway. I had the vibes at around 75mph and the sprocket just about did away with that issue but a really good chain stopped in entirely.

I fully understand that whatever you do with your bike is up to you and a purely personal preference. My 800GS is a very long way from the standard bike I bought.
I was simply trying to point out that what might be deemed a beneficial change in one area may cause unexpected problems in another. What works for you, works for you. Changing the sprocket didn’t work for me, but if you want to give it a go feel free.

I put a 42 tooth (Thruxton R) rear sprocket on my T120 when I had it in place of the standard 37 tooth, it completely transformed he bike

The standard gearing was way too high, only the first 4 gears were of any use, then you had 2 overdrives

Interestingly with the standard sprocket the chain adjusters were almost on the max limit of adjustment in case the chain stretched, with the bigger sprocket they were bang in the middle of the range of adjustment, almost as if it was supposed to be like that :nenau

Back
Top Bottom