2 screws left over

CPJS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2017 GS facelift model
Today I took off the beak, side panels (with roundel), black moulding under headlamp and black moulding over the headlamp.
When removing these there were two longer (30mm) screws. I now have these left over because I am stupid and cannot remember where they went. HELP!

Attachments

• 20210605_170447.jpg
    20210605_170447.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 507
Take apart again. They are quite long so wi be important. Have yiu checked the bolts that go in either side by indicators?

Something is very wrong. You should have three.

Bugger. I had four. Should I chuck two and keep two ?

Nope, chuck one (particularly if it’s a quite short one) but keep three. If the three are quite long, they are important.

Always buy a bike from someone who does their own home maintenance and work. So much better than a stealer and you’ll know it has been done properly. This is particularly true if they have Halford’s Pro-range tool cabinets. I read it here.

Stand down chaps. Took it all off again :blast

Attachments

• 20210606_113814.jpg
    20210606_113814.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 277
Always buy a bike from someone who does their own home maintenance and work. So much better than a stealer and you’ll know it has been done properly. This is particularly true if they have Halford’s Pro-range tool cabinets. I read it here.

Bike for sale . Always home serviced/farkled.
Much lighter than standard and loosened up nicely …..

And pray may I ask, was the beak removed in the first place ?

A few years ago I threw myself and the bike down the road, fortunately neither of us sustained much damage. One thing that suffered was the headlamp, it has two supporting lugs on the underside, they snapped off. I repaired it with Araldite, that repair failed. I have now repaired it with JB Weld which means that now the joint will not fail, something else would snap first.

The merits of long bolts and short bolts, reminded of asking for a 7mm spanner in a small tool shop in Gambia. I didn't hold out much hope and it flummoxed the young lads behind the counter, as they sorted through their collection of large spanners.

In the end one lad held up a massive rusty spanner and announced that "big spanners are better than small ones". I thanked him and tried to hide my broad grin till I'd turned my back.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Drumacoon Lad

Did you not think to try a larger spanner, and then use a coin or similar to take up the gap. It does work in an emergency if the correct spanner is not available.... maybe the big spanner would have been too big for the amount of coins you had !

Drumacoon Lad

Did you not think to try a larger spanner, and then use a coin or similar to take up the gap. It does work in an emergency if the correct spanner is not available.... maybe the big spanner would have been too big for the amount of coins you had !
I was probably a bit rash in dismissing the young lads big spanner. With a few coins it may have fitted my axle nuts and would have been handy for hitting something.

As I remember I wanted to check my xCountry airbox after crossing the Sahara, to remove any sand. I think I used duck-billed pliers in the end and thankfully there was little sand. I will always remember the superiority if big spanners.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom