XT Little North Pointing Arrow

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do any of the XT sages on here know if it’s possible to add the little north facing arrow to the display a la Nav v / vi ?

I know I can change one of the display fields to show direction of travel but I quite like the little north pointer.

Thanks
Rich

It was always present (when using the 2D map) but it disappeared with the last firmware update.

I guess they dropped it as you can align the map north, as opposed to aligning it following the direction of travel.

Out of nothing more than habit, I align my maps to follow my direction of travel. I do though set one of the information cells (time of arrival, distance to via point etc etc) to show my direction of travel as a simple compass heading. For example I see, NE or SW or E displayed. I do this, not because I want to know where north happens to be. Instead I use it as a basic aid, should I go off-route. For example, I know that my route for the day is broadly south east, so I should be seeing SE, E or S in the cell, most of the time. If I see N, NW or NE or indeed W displayed in the cell for an extended period, I’ll know that I am going the wrong way.

It doesn’t take too much of a leap to imagine that if I as seeing S displayed in the cell, then north must be 180 degrees somewhere behind me. If I see E displayed in the cell, then north must be 90 degrees to my left; if I stick my left arm out (as if I was signalling to turn left) then it would be pointing near enough north. Where exactly north (or any other of the cardinal points) is does not interest me too much, most of the time.

I guess they dropped it as you can align the map north, as opposed to aligning it following the direction of travel.

No. It is most probably a bug.
Both the map scale and the little compass disappeared from the 2D map view with the last firmware update.

Makes sense to log it as a bug report with Garmin.

Has the map scale ever been shown on the screen? I can’t recall ever seeing it on other Garmin devices. There again, it wouldn’t be something I looked for.

Yes, both were displayed when on 2D view or when zoomed out:

dem03.jpg

cavo04.jpg

Map scale is probably less essential on a Zumo I guess, but the compass is. And there was no reason to remove it as it occupied little screen real estate and nothing else has been added in its place.

It is a bug. It has been discussed on the Garmin forums too.
Makes sense to log it as a bug/complaint with Garmin in the hope they listen to user requests.

Ah, yes, I remember, now that I see your picture, the map scale is there :beerjug:

I’ll fire up a Nav V and VI to see if the compass and scale are still there.

The scale is still there, top right. No arrow, but by pressing the layer button you can easily switch north-up, track up, 3D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where a Montana 700 wins out, much more flexibility on screen and dashboard options - only 2 data fields displayed on the XT

There’s a way to add this now if anyone still wants to know I’ll post it up.

There’s a way to add this now if anyone still wants to know I’ll post it up.

Great! I like things I used to be able to do and now greatly miss being reinstated. If only other far more impactful, recent diminishments relating to freedom and direction of travel could be as easily reversed!

I’m having other XT tribulations but I do have a North arrow!

view map
Press the 3 dots bottom right
Press the spanner
Press the Plus next to Map Orientation

Voila, arrow restored.

You can also add other useful stuff here, like a “skip” button

Tried your method Berin, and I can see the polygon with a red bit indicating north when looking at the page with the Map Orientation displayed, but when back in the View Map screen, all the arrow does is change the view from track 2D to north up, to track 3D, with no sign of the polygon with the red bit

Tried your method Berin, and I can see the polygon with a red bit indicating north when looking at the page with the Map Orientation displayed, but when back in the View Map screen, all the arrow does is change the view from track 2D to north up, to track 3D, with no sign of the polygon with the red bit

I'll put some screen shots up. I have the north arrow on my map screen

Back
Top Bottom