Garmin is shite. Get it off your chest here.

med_1529430666_image.jpg

:D

Spoke with Garmin again today, this time on the phone (I tend to go chat/written first because of my accent).

Looks like the Garmin support people in the call centre are slightly more "at liberty" to do things than the ones in the chat.
Politely explained to them the situation.
After waiting on the phone while they sorted things in the background I've been told that they have stock coming in and some was already allocated to my account. Or at least this is the way they put it. ;)
Looks like I should have a replacement XT within a week.

Fingers crossed.

Spoke with Garmin again today, this time on the phone (I tend to go chat/written first because of my accent).

Looks like the Garmin support people in the call centre are slightly more "at liberty" to do things than the ones in the chat.
Politely explained to them the situation.
After waiting on the phone while they sorted things in the background I've been told that they have stock coming in and some was already allocated to my account. Or at least this is the way they put it. ;)
Looks like I should have a replacement XT within a week.

Fingers crossed.

Great news :)

everything crossed here

Let's wait and see.

There is always the possibility they replaced my XT with another bricked device.
It would not surprise me at this point :D :D :D

I have witnessed Garmin rage first hand on a few occasions, including one memorable time at a random junction on the way back from the Harz :D

Given how long Garmin have been in the nav game, you'd think they would have it absolutely nailed by now.

GPS manufacturers need to make some changes!

Having had issues myself recently i think GPS manufacturers need to implement some changes.

If you set a route with 20 waypoints and you miss the turning following waypoint 11 it should be able to find you back to the route to either waypoint 11 or 12 if 11 means a U-turn.
this cant be to difficult?

As a device to get you to a destination they all work brilliantly, but for routes you make yourself, they all suck tbh
I've owned Tomtom riders and Garmin, they are as bad as each other and have the same limitations.

or..... you could use your brain , look at the map , and navigate back to your route.

sat nav is an aid , it ain't the law.

i miss turnings all the time , it makes the journey more interesting.

Having had issues myself recently i think GPS manufacturers need to implement some changes.

If you set a route with 20 waypoints and you miss the turning following waypoint 11 it should be able to find you back to the route to either waypoint 11 or 12 if 11 means a U-turn.
this cant be to difficult?

As a device to get you to a destination they all work brilliantly, but for routes you make yourself, they all suck tbh
I've owned Tomtom riders and Garmin, they are as bad as each other and have the same limitations.

The saying about a workman and his tools, springs to mind.

If you create a route with 5, 20, 30 or 50 (it matters not how many) via points or waypoints - points you have told the device you must pass through - and you miss one out or go off route, your Garmin device will (if you have recalculate set to automatic) keep rerouting you until you pass through it, without you doing anything more. There is no doubt about that at all. It will also request you make a U-turn, unless of course you have set your preference settings to avoid U-turns. You can even, with the Nav V and Nav VI, stop the route and then ask the device to take you, from wherever you happen to be standing, straight to the via or waypoint you missed and run the route from there. This it will do, selecting roads to take you there, according to your preference settings.

As to:
…..but for routes you make yourself, they all suck…
that is plainly garbage.

Lots of bods on this site (myself included) create their own bespoke routes and run them, with no problems at all. Some will use BaseCamp, some will use MapSource, others will use My Route or one of the other web or app based pieces of software. These routes are sometimes simple A to B routes and sometimes complex routes of several hundred miles. You used My Route and you had problems. The suggested remedies to you problems, lies in the thread:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/561290-My-Route-nightmare

Get to know My Map (or better still, BaseCamp) and, more importantly, how your chosen GPS device works. Then come back and moan again, if necessary.

Petrol stations.

Am I missing something?

I've had it a few times, but twice this morning where I'm told a petrol station is 1.7 miles away when I search for the nearest one only to find that the waypoint is actually 10 miles away and the petrol station simply doesn't exist (and clearly never has).

That or taking you into some random industrial estate which backs on to a supermarket which does have a fuel station - but there's no actual way of getting to the supermarket from the industrial area, so you have to do another 3 mile detour.

Strangely, I don't have the issue if I search for local supermarkets. That always seems to take me straight to the supermarket - the problem is that I don't know if it's got a petrol station or not.

Are there better waypoints I can load for fuel stations?

Am I alone in having this issue? Have I just been unlucky?

I'm told a petrol station is 1.7 miles away

As the bird flies.

Am I alone in having this issue?

Of the many issues I've had with my various Garmin devices, I don't recall many problems in locating petrol stations with it tbf.

Nope, I have it as well. Usually for me is taking me to a petrol station that is long closed. Garmins attitude seems to be "Once a petrol station, always a petrol station."

Nope, I have it as well. Usually for me is taking me to a petrol station that is long closed. Garmins attitude seems to be "Once a petrol station, always a petrol station."

Garmin's database can also be very iffy in some areas regarding hotel information, two occasions in Northern Germany in non touristy areas my Garmin led us a merry dance taking us to numerous sites where there were allegedly hotels .

Each time at least seven or eight of the locations had long since ceased trading or even been knocied down

Not surprisingly, Garmin relies on the makers of the maps (who in turn rely on others) to keep the data updated. Owners are free to submit corrections, if they can be arsed.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=pJLZBzPen9A7OXw5vlRyu5

Er-minio is correct, the ‘distance from’ feature is as the crow flies.

Cheers for that Wapping :clap

I will be arsed to report the two I struggled with yesterday. If enough people do it then it's better for everyone and it doesn't take a lot of effort to do.

I just didn't know it was possible.

I'm sort of surprised that the petrol stations don't offer waypoints to their stations (or maybe they do and it's something else I don't know about)

Now that I think about it... I used the XT a few months ago while on a smart jaunt on the road in Essex with the HP. I almost ran out of petrol because I couldn't find any of the indicated stations. (Asked a human and found one nearby).
Doesn't seem that inaccurate in Europe generally. Less in the UK.

I also, when traveling, use the Garmin "find nearby" feature to find the nearest Ibis (when on transfers) hotel. Mostly in France, but always worked flawlessly.

Recently came back from 2 weeks away in France/Switzerland/Germany and this year I had the phone mounted on a quad lock so I thought I'd leave the Nav6 plugged in anyway and I have to say it performed more or less flawlessly. There were a couple of times that Waze or Calimoto had a bit of a hissy fit and spun around because of buildings but the Nav6 seemed to cope better.

I'd still prefer if it was faster and had wifi like the XT but for the amount I use it I have to say it's redeemed itself quite alot. Or maybe I've just clicked with it more now.

I have witnessed Garmin rage first hand on a few occasions, including one memorable time at a random junction on the way back from the Harz :D

Given how long Garmin have been in the nav game, you'd think they would have it absolutely nailed by now.

The Rage has been with us this last 8 days in the Harz. Three of us, one BMW Nav, one new XT and one 396. All loaded with only planned 2 routes, downloaded from Ride magazine. Not once we're we 'synchronised'. Off route and 'recalculate' the order of the day. I'm sure our own fukkwittery helped but it's been an exasperating week of Garmin "adventures"!
Were it not a newish Garmin I would quite happily smash the thing wiv an 'ammer as I once did with a previous Garmin unit, a very cathartic moment.

Back
Top Bottom