GSA revived

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I rode this bike over a year ago. Why you may ask. Because there was a few jobs to do on it, covid, work and other bollocks not for discussion on here.

The list was not so extensive but it required doing bits of it over time because work was getting in the way.

Drive shaft replaced.
Rear brake disc replaced.
New brake pads front and rear.
New battery and new charging fly lead.
A general clean of the bits I don't get to see that often.

And the big reason was to get the suspension refreshed. It was fucked and I have noticed it the year before (2019) but put it off. Saw Denz0 post on here and after looking at alternatives I decided to keep the stock look and save a few quid in the process.

Undressed the bike. A bit of a bastard to do because whoever designed it has never taken anything apart in his life. Much less put it back together.

Off to Denzo

In the mean time I got stuck in with the drive shaft. Much patience. C u n t of a thing but a YouTube video later I saw the error of my ways and soon it was all sweet.

Then there was the wee problem with a stuck bolt. Swearing and violence was not the answer. Clever fuck thought he had me beat. Take that. New screws ordered and Jack at my local mailed them out to me. Top man and always get top service from him and Joanna.

Denz0 got back to me with some pics of his work. The man is top notch. The shocks were in good condition for its age or mileage - 30k.

Big rust spot on the rear shock shaft. New shaft.

Oil is long gone, seals fucked. It was long due a service.

Denz0 said: 'Your shocks are now upgraded with top quality oil and dust seals along with Viton rubber oring on separating pistons that's what Ohlins uses in their shocks. Some pictures of the front sealhead and also with added scraper dust seal.
Static friction is reduced by 50% compared to what it was before the service.
From 6.8Kg to 2.6Kg'

Going back together.

I didn't bother putting it back to single rider and normal damping. It shows on the shock. The motorcycle was in bits anyway and it would not be started without it all back together.

While Denz0 looked after the shocks I was busy getting rid of some dirt accumulated all the way from the Yorkshire dales to Poland. Some stowaways.

Shocks arrived but the couriers thought it best to have it delivered wet. C u n t s.

But Denz0 has wrapped these babies in a thick blanket of bubble wrap. Cheers Denz0.

From here onwards it was just a matter of assembly. Take the parts, if dirty, wash it and then fit it. Online parts catalogue to the ready and a few paper copies later I had a reference of where all those M5 screws go. Torque applied where it is required and a dab of paint marker placed so that I know what is torqued and what is not. Loctite where needed and righty tighty. Good thing I had a look at the battery cables because it was chafing on the frame.

Noted that the air box was chafing on the fuel tank. That will need sorting before an excursion further east in the future.

Due to the drive shaft being removed I had to refill the final drive with 75w90 GL5 fully synthetic. That done, wheel on, rear mudguard on, tyre pressures checked, pumped the brakes and a once over to make sure something hasn't been left hanging.

A shakedown ride visiting some new roads and old ones.

Back home for a wash.

Done.

I rode this bike over a year ago. Why you may ask. Because there was a few jobs to do on it, covid, work and other bollocks not for discussion on here.

The list was not so extensive but it required doing bits of it over time because work was getting in the way.

Drive shaft replaced.
Rear brake disc replaced.
New brake pads front and rear.
New battery and new charging fly lead.
A general clean of the bits I don't get to see that often.

And the big reason was to get the suspension refreshed. It was fucked and I have noticed it the year before (2019) but put it off. Saw Denz0 post on here and after looking at alternatives I decided to keep the stock look and save a few quid in the process.

Undressed the bike. A bit of a bastard to do because whoever designed it has never taken anything apart in his life. Much less put it back together.

Off to Denzo

In the mean time I got stuck in with the drive shaft. Much patience. C u n t of a thing but a YouTube video later I saw the error of my ways and soon it was all sweet.

Then there was the wee problem with a stuck bolt. Swearing and violence was not the answer. Clever fuck thought he had me beat. Take that. New screws ordered and Jack at my local mailed them out to me. Top man and always get top service from him and Joanna.

Denz0 got back to me with some pics of his work. The man is top notch. The shocks were in good condition for its age or mileage - 30k.

Big rust spot on the rear shock shaft. New shaft.

Oil is long gone, seals fucked. It was long due a service.

Denz0 said: 'Your shocks are now upgraded with top quality oil and dust seals along with Viton rubber oring on separating pistons that's what Ohlins uses in their shocks. Some pictures of the front sealhead and also with added scraper dust seal.
Static friction is reduced by 50% compared to what it was before the service.
From 6.8Kg to 2.6Kg'

Going back together.

I didn't bother putting it back to single rider and normal damping. It shows on the shock. The motorcycle was in bits anyway and it would not be started without it all back together.

While Denz0 looked after the shocks I was busy getting rid of some dirt accumulated all the way from the Yorkshire dales to Poland. Some stowaways.

Shocks arrived but the couriers thought it best to have it delivered wet. C u n t s.

But Denz0 has wrapped these babies in a thick blanket of bubble wrap. Cheers Denz0.

From here onwards it was just a matter of assembly. Take the parts, if dirty, wash it and then fit it. Online parts catalogue to the ready and a few paper copies later I had a reference of where all those M5 screws go. Torque applied where it is required and a dab of paint marker placed so that I know what is torqued and what is not. Loctite where needed and righty tighty. Good thing I had a look at the battery cables because it was chafing on the frame.

Noted that the air box was chafing on the fuel tank. That will need sorting before an excursion further east in the future.

Due to the drive shaft being removed I had to refill the final drive with 75w90 GL5 fully synthetic. That done, wheel on, rear mudguard on, tyre pressures checked, pumped the brakes and a once over to make sure something hasn't been left hanging.

A shakedown ride visiting some new roads and old ones.

Back home for a wash.

Done.

No more to complain about BMW. :beerjug:

Been out on the bike for 3 days and I must say that the suspension has transformed the feel from the bike. Much more controllable, damping is much improved even with the missus on the back.

Denz0 sent a sticker in the with the shocks. It is on the panniers with all the others :D

Back
Top Bottom