690 E was it designed by the college graduates

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
First off,I’m not knocking the bike,
I love/hate mine,(and the one before it).
Best bits,
Power,,,,yay
Suspension,brill( needs a tweak)
Handling excellent.
Let’s get to the nitty gritty.
Mostly,the bike is unchanged since 2008,even up to this years bike and the husky stable mate.
Yet,this years bike seems to be almost revered,like it is a new bike.
Having ridden Andres brand new bike(ta muchly)
Despite my thoughts about how hard the dealer bike felt in the showroom,A’s bike was more supple on the road.
The motor on the new bike was a bit faster once the revs were up,but I forgot about the electronic aids and was surprised when it didn’t want to lift the front wheel in the lower gears like my earlier bike.
Gearbox was noticeably better.again ,I forgot about the quick shifter,and wondered why the bike was blipping as I downshifted.:D
The fuel injection system is a lot better than the early bikes,but there’s no removing the fact it’s a big high comp single,with bugger all flywheel..
Back to the start.
Whilst I get the concept of the fuel tank centralised,having the filler at the rear is shit..end of.
If the tank was in the “ proper” place it would add some protection to the very expensive radiator.
And mebbs could have created a space for a few tools..
Bars too low.
Foot rests a bit high.
I was looking to fit a lowering link to the suspension,
On most other bikes you would stick a stand under the bashplate,
Not so on the 690( or later 701 etc)
The bash plate secures to the bottom of the footrest brackets,which need to come off to gain access to suspension linkage.
If the footrests had been mounted lower onto the frame it would be dead easy to support the bike while removing the rear suspension.
With the design we have,with the bash plate off the bottom of the engine does not lend itself to securing the bike to anything much.
I may have also mentioned before,shit steering lock.
All of these things are minor things,however after 13 years I’d have thought the bike would have evolved more.

Ha ha
You know you should have got another 525 :D

Attachments

• 20210606_104849-01.jpg
    20210606_104849-01.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 402
IMO,if the bike had evolved from this,
It could be the best enduro,greenlaner or overland platform ever produced.
Instead ktm built a compromise and have not really improved it.
A new 690/701 is £9 k but needs another £3/4 k to make it fit for purpose.

Attachments

• E76D6383-5536-464C-96D2-A9DB4A141013.jpg
    E76D6383-5536-464C-96D2-A9DB4A141013.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 410
IMO,if the bike had evolved from this,
It could be the best enduro,greenlaner or overland platform ever produced.
Instead ktm built a compromise and have not really improved it.
A new 690/701 is £9 k but needs another £3/4 k to make it fit for purpose.

KTM already made the best off road/overlander and it wasn't a platform but ready to go ;)

KTM already made the best off road/overlander and it wasn't a platform but ready to go ;)

You have to wonder if the current designers actually ride bikes:confused:
If Honda made a crf 600 rally with 65/70 hp and could keep the weight under 165 kg for the green laner ,they would probably do very well in the U.K. market as small as it is.

First off,I’m not knocking the bike,
I love/hate mine,(and the one before it).
Best bits,
Power,,,,yay
Suspension,brill( needs a tweak)
Handling excellent.
Let’s get to the nitty gritty.
Mostly,the bike is unchanged since 2008,even up to this years bike and the husky stable mate.
Yet,this years bike seems to be almost revered,like it is a new bike.
Having ridden Andres brand new bike(ta muchly)
Despite my thoughts about how hard the dealer bike felt in the showroom,A’s bike was more supple on the road.
The motor on the new bike was a bit faster once the revs were up,but I forgot about the electronic aids and was surprised when it didn’t want to lift the front wheel in the lower gears like my earlier bike.
Gearbox was noticeably better.again ,I forgot about the quick shifter,and wondered why the bike was blipping as I downshifted.:D
The fuel injection system is a lot better than the early bikes,but there’s no removing the fact it’s a big high comp single,with bugger all flywheel..
Back to the start.
Whilst I get the concept of the fuel tank centralised,having the filler at the rear is shit..end of.
If the tank was in the “ proper” place it would add some protection to the very expensive radiator.
And mebbs could have created a space for a few tools..
Bars too low.
Foot rests a bit high.
I was looking to fit a lowering link to the suspension,
On most other bikes you would stick a stand under the bashplate,
Not so on the 690( or later 701 etc)
The bash plate secures to the bottom of the footrest brackets,which need to come off to gain access to suspension linkage.
If the footrests had been mounted lower onto the frame it would be dead easy to support the bike while removing the rear suspension.
With the design we have,with the bash plate off the bottom of the engine does not lend itself to securing the bike to anything much.
I may have also mentioned before,shit steering lock.
All of these things are minor things,however after 13 years I’d have thought the bike would have evolved more.

The original concept was a road going supermoto to replace the outgoing 640 Duke
Somebody in Austria thought they could stick longer forks & shock, plus 21/18 wheels and bastardise it into a dirt bike
Who in their right minds would place the rear brake master cylinder UNDER the foot peg ....on a dirt bike
The 690 SMC was never designed to go near the dirt and it shows
EDIT- Tim mentioned it above
Every time I see the 690e in a showroom - it shouts roadbike at me
My pet hate is the lack of protection by the left foot peg (just a flimsy piece of plastic heel guard) from the chain whizzing around at 70 mph, inches from your leg

The 650 xchallenge was far better executed as a dual sport & there is a lovely one for sale here

Build your own. You know it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 650 xchallenge was far better executed as a dual sport & there is a lovely one for sale here
I would not argue,the x chall was a good bike,
However,they too need some substantial mods to make them ,as good as can be.
Plus they are a bugger to work on as well.
Forks,shit
Rear suspension shit,
Fuel tank range ,shit
Seat comfort ,shit

I would not argue,the x chall was a good bike,
However,they too need some substantial mods to make them ,as good as can be.
Plus they are a bugger to work on as well.
Forks,shit
Rear suspension shit,
Fuel tank range ,shit
Seat comfort ,shit

I cannot disagree

I didn’t want another 650/690 single and hence why I bought a 690cc twin
Yes it’s 45kg heavier but it does ride well off-road
There is no unicorn (maybe the PR7 is it)
They all have faults
I chose based on wanting a bike good on the road and fine on trails suitable for a dual sport
If I want harder trails off-road I go downwards to another more suitable bike

I cannot disagree

They all have faults
I chose based on wanting a bike good on the road and fine on trails suitable for a dual sport

I think,
Comparing the xchall to the 690
IF,you have to have a rear tank,fit a side filler.the ktm/husky one is just stupid.
The rotax motor is down on power by a fair bit,but it’s bulletproof and adequate.
That’s it,.
The ktm offering is better in pretty much every other aspect.

I cannot disagree

They all have faults

He,he,
You’ve hinted on other forums about the 701/690.
You’d be be more than welcome to borrow mine for a week,
For sure the new bikes are a bit more refined,but.,the basics haven’t changed much at all,hence the OP

I took a group out for a weekend and one guy was on a very well sorted 690 which coped with everything.

Attachments

• 20210522_092454-01.jpg
    20210522_092454-01.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 207

Back
Top Bottom