Summer Jackets

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What is there between a full blown Rukka Gortex Pro - too hot in summer, and a mesh jacket - like a Klim Marakesh or a Rukka Forsair which might be a bit chilly in the early spring mornings?

Is there a half way house - perhaps windproof, but more lightweight and comfortable than the two extremes above?

Ta :thumb

I have the Forsair's predecessor, the Airall. I have done a summer tour of France just wearing the Airall and I carried a breathable over-jacket made by Richa.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/234571

This was used on the 2 days when we had rain, which was pretty biblical between Dijon and Epernay. It worked well.

The jacket rolls up into a pouch and takes up about the same space as a 1 litre bottle of water.

If I get cold in my mesh jacket I wear a thin wind proof fleece over it and if that’s not enough then a thin waterproof over that. These do not need to be bike jackets as you already have the protection.

In hot weather in the mountains this works well as the valleys can be roasting hot so the mesh jacket is critical and like wearing a T-shirt but up on the cols it can be suddenly cold but it only takes a moment to put the fleece or the top.

I don't know if there is a new alternative but the now discontinued Klim Blade is my go to jacket from April to October. Lightweight, armoured, Gore-tex, vented, light coloured. Really impressed with it. If I couldn't get a goretex replacement, I'd simply go with something like the Klim Marrakesh and carry a lightweight waterproof overjacket.

https://www.klim.com/Marrakesh-Jacket-3341-001?quantity=1

I have a Rukka mesh jacket.

If it’s chilly, by which I mean, early morning starts to get down to the Chunnel or when temperatures fall up in the mountains, I just put an EDZ shell thing underneath or a light waterproof, over the top. The light waterproof top I’ll generally have with me anyway, just in case it rains (or the wet misty fog descends) when I am away.

Layers, as ever, hold the answer.

Isn't the whole point of most of the Klim gear that they are unlined and designed to be layered up underneath as appropriate for the conditions :nenau

Maybe they have changed but my old Badlands jacket is a true four season jacket; high summer with all vents open and just a merino t-shirt it really is as cool as a cool thing. Last night I was out, a bit of a nip in the air so all vents closed and just a cotton t-shirt....perfect. Depths of winter commute and with a heated under jacket thingy and, if really bad, a throw over Gortex top it's as dry and warm as a dry and warm thing.

One jacket, different layers, for me perfect :)

Andres

I have the BMW boulder jacket and BMW pants that is best described as summer clothing. Like Andres and Richard says. Layer up. The EDZ shell works a treat over the Merino underlayer. And if it must then the waterproof over goes on as that has a a collar that sits snug against the helmet.

Pick your clothing carefully. I have shirts and pants that wicks the sweat away from the body.

Not only Klim but also Adventure Spec supports the layering system.

What is there between a full blown Rukka Gortex Pro - too hot in summer, and a mesh jacket - like a Klim Marakesh or a Rukka Forsair which might be a bit chilly in the early spring mornings?

Is there a half way house - perhaps windproof, but more lightweight and comfortable than the two extremes above?

GS Rallye is exactly that if you take the liners out. Breathable, even with vents closed. Not too lightweight though...

I've got one of these, as has my son. We got them direct from BMG when we did a tour of NorCal a few years ago but I believe they still ship to Britain.

https://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/jackets/zodiac-jacket.html

0024.png

I've also got a Hein Gericke Cordura jacket with leather shoulder and elbow patches, mesh panels on the chest and lots of vents but I suspect you'd struggle to find one.

I have the Klim marakesh but also have the very thin under jacket that goes with it to block out any wind chill. Comfiest jacket ever.

I've just replaced my old Dainese Air Blade which came with a zip out windproof layer with a Rev'it Eclipse and am using the windproof layer from the Dainese underneath for late nights. I use the old Aldi thermals as a base layer top all year round and they work grrrrreat :tigger

Also carry an old cag from millets in the pannier and slip it over when caught out by the odd summer shower.

I would say a Klim Marrakech fits the OPs requirement almost perfectly. I bought one three weeks ago (it’s already been crash tested and passed 👍 ). It airy but not desperately so - it’s more like sir is seeping in rather than blasting straight through and imho anyway the most comfortable bike gear I’ve ever worn or tried on. It’s light, stretchy well cut snd fits me spot on. It’s the only bike jacket I’ve had that I don’t want to take off almost straight away.

I normally wear a casual outdoorsy tech shirt as a base snd today I rode about 40miles with the bikes thermometer showing 14-15c. It was cool but I prefer it that way. As others have said layer under or over with simple windproof or warmer stuff if needed.

I really like mine.

Not sure about one of the best but for summers would like to suggest you a Iron Side Mesh Jacket. I'm pretty satisfied with the quality of the jacket. The fitment is perfect has great internal storage also the waist straps helps me a lot to stick the jacket from the back while riding roughly. especially love the airflow vents and breathable design it helps me a lot to ride easily on longer routes.

Back
Top Bottom